• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Maxon motor GP...

sklimek said:

edit: I noticed he mentioned that these were for "110191 a-max 26mm" does anyone know if the (a-max 26mm) designation is correct?

I received a Maxon catalog yesterday in the mail! The ‘A-max’ refers to their AlNiCo magnet and the 26 is their 26mm size for the 110191 casing. Gone for two weeks but all we need is three more for the 5+ break…

OK, here's how the numbers work. If we buy 4, we're paying a total of (4*106.70=) $426.80. If we buy 5, we pay (5*$83.90=) $419.50, or $104.88 each.

I say, if no-one else steps up, that we pay $104.88 apiece, and have some trusted third party draw lots to see which of us gets the extra motor; or, auction it on EBay and donate the receipts to DIYAudio.

Comments?

Cool.

Stan, were you thinking of taking on the responsibility of ordering and reshipping these?

If "yes", wonderful; if not, I'm willing to work on this but if I did the ordering and reshipping it would mean that the motors would have to go through customs twice (for USA purchasers), which might complicate matters, Free Trade agreements notwithstanding.

Bas Horneman said:

I think you might get your last man very quickly if you post a new thread..Maxon motor GB.

Might be worth doing if there's another price break point even though we now have five.

BTW, Mark, it's a bit worrisome that you think having an extra on hand may be necessary - do you expect these to break, or do you just want to build a second TT?

Has anyone assembled their controller yet?

I don't see the need to have an extra motor on hand unless you plan on building another complete drive system. The motor appears to be well engineered and definitely of better quality than any other motor I have owned. My 110191 has been running well for the past few months although I would like another since I have 2 controllers.

Vinyl-Addict said:
Has anyone assembled their controller yet?

I don't see the need to have an extra motor on hand unless you plan on building another complete drive system. The motor appears to be well engineered and definitely of better quality than any other motor I have owned. My 110191 has been running well for the past few months although I would like another since I have 2 controllers.

I have placed components and soldered, but since we are recommended to do adjustments with a motor working a turntable I am to;
agree with my wife the new shelving system where the TT is going, make plinth descision, ( which includes tonearm base )... and all I get done at home is service my three women, or plan other projects..

The other question: is it impossible to make the controller work for two motors ? With add-ons ?

superhkm said:
The other question: is it impossible to make the controller work for two motors ? With add-ons ?

Clarifications please - do you wish to run two motors at the same time on the same table? Do you wish to run them electrically in series or in parallel?

I haven't done either ( I can't see the point) but in theory the controller will work as is with motors wired in parallel, you'd just have to adjust the current compensation for the lower impedance. In series you'd quickly run out of voltage headroom unless you used two lower voltage motors such as #110187.

cwise said:
Hey superhkm,
What are you using for a pulley and platter.

This whole project started with someone giving me a good offer on a 80mm Scheu platter (acrylic) that was barely tested. I am waiting for the GB pulley, but the plastic ( pvc ?) pulley that I pulled of my 86' Rega Planar3 motor ( it has a 2003 motor now..) fits the maxon perfectly.

Mark Kelly said:

Clarifications please - do you wish to run two motors at the same time on the same table? Do you wish to run them electrically in series or in parallel?

I haven't done either ( I can't see the point) but in theory the controller will work as is with motors wired in parallel, you'd just have to adjust the current compensation for the lower impedance. In series you'd quickly run out of voltage headroom unless you used two lower voltage motors such as #110187.

Thanks Mark, I may just try parallell someday. After the GB I am sitting with two motors and started thinking I migth run the platter with two motors, trying different configurations, double drivebelt or both on the same belt or even both driving a pulley size fly-wheel, VPI style.

cygnus x1 said:

Is it to late to get in on the Maxon motor buy? Not sure who was doing it. Any way of getting the pulley and PC boards?

Jeff, this is - with luck - a repeat GB. Stan (sklimek) got a quote on motors and posted it; the price breaks for quantities were good, and a number of us have expressed interest. If you want the recap, you don't have to read the whole thread - start with sklimek's post # 456 and go forward from there.

Note that it sounds as if Mark Kelly has learned enough from the experience that there's not likely to be another controller kit :bawling:

Aengus

Hi all,

Sorry I have been gone so long, but I worked on a list of who and how many so that I can figure shipping costs for final invoicing. The final cost of the pullies will be $10 plus shipping. There are several people that I don't have shipping info for.

rchristie
bas hornman
Webby
Lord Dubious
John2

name
Address
Country
paypal email address

I was about to start costing for shipping, but realised that I don't know where many of you live I will try and post a pic this weekend of the whole batch if the camera behaves.

Also, is there anyone who cannot do paypal? If so, please drop me a line so that I know who you are and we can work out payment.

Bas,

I will do a little cost comparison to see if a Euro distribution will be worth while.

Thank you all for your patience.

By the way, we have moved into our new house, and I have begun the setteling in process with re-sheet rocking the second floor. This past weekend I put 2 screw jacks in the living room to begin lifting the second floor back to level. Better to fix it right before we mud. Someone long ago in a galaxy far away decided that they didn't like the pillars and knee walls in the living room. So they took them out . In their world this must not have mattered. In my world the floor that is no longer supported has a nice 2-3 inch sag. We are no longer living out of boxes, but all sleeping in the living room. I love old houses, but I hate old houses. If all goes well, tomorrow I will have my mill and lathe moved into the new garage and will begin to have time for hobbies instead of moving and fixing and remodeling. :cool:

DaveM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.