Which Weiliang DAC to choose right now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i had own the weilang 4(which i blown off by messing it up) of dac5(the single wm8741+8805) and currently using the es9018(ver1.1 / 2layer pcb / 4omamp)

i had never own or listen to the ak4339 but i know weiliang personally prefere ak4339.

but i personally love the sound from dac5.

both dac5 and the es9018 has places to improve and generally has pretty good sounding.

the oscillator upgrade, i did once, but if i am going to upgrade my tcxo, i would pick a different source. A real 0.1ppm wouldnt be this cheap but it do improve the quality and dynamics

Hi SL06, Let me know how to rework the 6631 for the 5Volt. I'm in doubt about the 5Volt supplied by my PC.
I've tried the XMOS, but this one gives me scratching noise (pink noise)...Changed back to the 6631A.
I've reworked teh ±12V by replacing the existing regulators in 7815/7915. The OPA627 can handle that ±15V and gives a better dynamic range.

Hi SL06, Let me know how to rework the 6631 for the 5Volt. I'm in doubt about the 5Volt supplied by my PC.
I've tried the XMOS, but this one gives me scratching noise (pink noise)...Changed back to the 6631A.
I've reworked teh ±12V by replacing the existing regulators in 7815/7915. The OPA627 can handle that ±15V and gives a better dynamic range.

Hi, sorry for the late respond. I dont visit the site often.

Follow these step (at your own risk)
1. locale the 5 V trace between the USB connector and the connector for the CM6631 and cut it.
2. locate 5 V regulator on the DAC 7 board. Solder a wire between the 5V regulator and the 5V pin of the CM6631A.

This solve my communication problem between my computer and my DAC, specially selecting higher bit rate. On the CM6631 board there is a small cap 100uf for voltage regulation. I have replace it with a 330uf caps. This have help a lot with occasional oscillation noise. I still hear unfrequent oscillation noise and further filtering on the 5V should be consider (ie try inductor or ferrite + capacitor filter) to se if it help.

On my setup I have found that my computer USB output is noisy when there other activity (ie mouse / keyboard activity) so I use for now the optical input. I have not try to further improve my DAC USB input.

I hope this help.

Hi, sorry for the late respond. I dont visit the site often.

Follow these step (at your own risk)
1. locale the 5 V trace between the USB connector and the connector for the CM6631 and cut it.
2. locate 5 V regulator on the DAC 7 board. Solder a wire between the 5V regulator and the 5V pin of the CM6631A.

This solve my communication problem between my computer and my DAC, specially selecting higher bit rate. On the CM6631 board there is a small cap 100uf for voltage regulation. I have replace it with a 330uf caps. This have help a lot with occasional oscillation noise. I still hear unfrequent oscillation noise and further filtering on the 5V should be consider (ie try inductor or ferrite + capacitor filter) to se if it help.

On my setup I have found that my computer USB output is noisy when there other activity (ie mouse / keyboard activity) so I use for now the optical input. I have not try to further improve my DAC USB input.

I hope this help.

Just be careful with the size of the capacitor. Its a tight fit. Use a small voltage value.

Dual AK4399 via I2S ???

Hi,
i am here for the first time - it is very interesting because i consider to buy the dual AK4399 from Weiliang (Parallel AK4399 AK4118 DAC software 192K Assembled Board - $156.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy).
Does anybody know how to fees this board via I2S?
I indend to drive the DAC by a Raspberry Pi with Squeezebox-Emulation, and the best output of this unit is the I2S!
I think it should be possible because Weiliang offers another AK4399 board with expicite I2S-Input: NEW IIS / I2S input AK4399 DAC Assembled board - $68.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy.

Maybe it is enough to find the right pins in the socket of the USBtoI2s board, and feed them with the signal.

Another question: Does anybody have a schematic for the DAC7, XMOS card?
I just get an assembled piece, but no documentation has been enclosed...
Contacted diyhifishop, they sent me a photo to describe the plugs. Not exactly what I meant under 'schematic'. :D

Hi,
i am here for the first time - it is very interesting because i consider to buy the dual AK4399 from Weiliang (Parallel AK4399 AK4118 DAC software 192K Assembled Board - $156.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy).
Does anybody know how to fees this board via I2S?
I indend to drive the DAC by a Raspberry Pi with Squeezebox-Emulation, and the best output of this unit is the I2S!
I think it should be possible because Weiliang offers another AK4399 board with expicite I2S-Input: NEW IIS / I2S input AK4399 DAC Assembled board - $68.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy.

From what I have read, using I2S output from Rasberry is not a good option, at least until the new version of Rasberry come out.. There are better I2S solution on the way but they are not available yet, but should be there soon.. See Hifiduino web site on this topics. Xmos and CM6631 card are basically USB to I2S converter, So in principle, you can feed the I2S signal from the card connector.

From what I have read, for now USB to I2S converter (Xmos card, CM6631 card ...) are the best option for now until better minicomputer with i2S appears on the market.

Last edited:

I have order this board on Ebay :
AK4495+AK4118+LT1963+LM49860+Xmos+LCD Display USB DAC Completed Board
The price was very good. It did not said that it was a kit or not so I hope its assembled.

I have not received it yet. I hope that it will be good. Their is not many post in forum on those board.

Be careful when buying the cheaper AK4495 dacs.. I bought this one and emailed the seller asking if this was a kit and he responded by saying no need to solder. I got a kit 3 weeks later. It will cost you a fortune to ship back to china for refund.. Luckly my brother is a EE and is putting it together for me ..also the 7 pin xmos is not included

AK4495 AK4118 LT1963 LM49860 LCD Display USB DAC Board | eBay

Last edited:
What about the AK4490 board?

768kHz/32Bit AK4490EQ DAC, I2S/DSD input - DIYINHK
There is no mention in the listing as to whether it's assembled or a kit. That's pretty poor.
When you are referring to your post... the listing says that you need to solder the through hole components which is fair.
Generally speaking I can say that DIYINHK is a reputable source... I just got one of their USB-I2S converter pcb's and it works absolutely as intended.
And they sure are not using fake parts... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.