Which Weiliang DAC to choose right now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which assembled Weiliang DAC would you choose at this point in time (June 2014)?

One of the WM8741 types, the AK4399 (single or dual) or ES9018?

How would you rank them for sound quality? And construction quality?

Weiliang Audio
Hot Sell DAC : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy Dac list

DAC 7 WM8741
WM8741 WM8805 24/192KHZ DAC decoder Optical Coaxial DAC7 DIY kit - $76.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy optical/coax $76 185x135mm grey PCB
Assembled WM8741 WM8805 24/192KHZ DAC decoder Optical Coaxial DA [a96] - $91.20 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy $91.20 185x135mm grey PCB
Assembled WM8741 WM8805 24/192KHZ decoder Optical Coaxial DAC7 - $91.01 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy $91 185x135mm grey PCB

DAC 9 AK4399
DAC decoder AK4399 WM8805 Coaxial optical input Assembled board - $83.60 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy $83 black PCB

AK4399
NEW XMOS AK4399 USB I2S 24Bit 192K DAC decorder Assembled board - $126.35 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy Assembled with XMOS $126 127x124mm green PCB

AK4399 x 2
Assembled New Dual AK4399 AK4113 DAC with LCD software 192K - $110.20 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy Dual $110 185x135mm blue PCB

ES9018
NEW ES9018 Assembled DAC 192K Optical Coax by Weiliang - $140.60 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy 2 layer board assembled $140 170x140 green PCB
NEW ES9018 assembled DAC 192K Optical Coax w/ LCD display - $178.60 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy 4 layer board assembled $178 green PCB

With all due respect it surprises me that you want to buy one of the chinese DAC's... the "you" referring to someone who is very much into single ended tube amplifiers from what I gather from reading your posts ;)

I am no expert in DAC's but have heard a few and sold them quickly (VALAB TDA 1543 for instance). After enjoying in an Audiosector DAC full of BG's (for the sheer energy in it's presentation and the naturalness) I have found something that betters it... the recent Subbu 3.0 DAC from the Group Buy. I think you have to go a long way to find something sounding more open, natural and three-dimensional than this DAC ( and for that kind of money).

Just my personal subjective opinion of course... but most chinese DAC's are of the copy and paste variety... have a nice blue board with nice symmetrical layout and lots of OP amps... all of which is not desirable or necessary in a good sounding DAC. Layout and well thought out power supplies are everything... from here I'd like to let the experts speak (JP, are you around?).

Cheers,
Oliver

PS I can sell you a Subbu V1.0 DAC with a Salas shunt reg and a nice HIFI2000 case... also a very natural performer. But don't take this just as a blunt offer ;)

Thanks Oliver. Yes, I'm very much single ended DHT tubes. Absolutely. But I don't use vinyl at all - all my music is on my Mac Mini. And I need 2v to drive my amp, which is 4P1L into PSE 4P1L. I like high end transformers - that's also true. But I can see a place for solid state in small signal applications. I don't want to throw tubes at a DAC project - I've done that in the past and I think solid state is a better option if it's done properly. Cleaner and more detailed. I have a modest 9023 DAC right now, but it runs of lead-acid batteries at least and the PSU made a huge difference. So I'd be looking to optimise a PSU or even use batteries if it were low current.

I don't know the Subbu DAC but I'll PM you about it.

My brother has a Schiit Gungnir (AK4399) and that's very good to my ears. So certainly looking to upgrade to one of the usual suspects, which I take to be AK4399, ES9018 or WM8471 at the present moment, unless somebody can correct me on that. I'm ready to throw £100 GBP or a bit more at an assembled board. Not sure if I'd want a kit since my knowledge is tubes rather than solid state, and very little digital theory at all. But I can certainly construct quite elaborate tube amps.

So very interested to get some views on which of these Chinese boards to use. And open to all other alternatives. Just need a really good DAC that can output 2v. And I'd normally be using USB in unless anybody has other ideas.

The thing about this forum is that there are extensive threads on detailed projects but not much telling you which of the projects to choose. That's what I'm after - an overview and a choice.

Andy

Last edited:
With all due respect it surprises me that you want to buy one of the chinese DAC's... the "you" referring to someone who is very much into single ended tube amplifiers from what I gather from reading your posts ;)

I am no expert in DAC's but have heard a few and sold them quickly (VALAB TDA 1543 for instance). After enjoying in an Audiosector DAC full of BG's (for the sheer energy in it's presentation and the naturalness) I have found something that betters it... the recent Subbu 3.0 DAC from the Group Buy. I think you have to go a long way to find something sounding more open, natural and three-dimensional than this DAC ( and for that kind of money).

Just my personal subjective opinion ....

An opinion ?... I have the weiliang dual ak4399 dac and I owned odac and another dac based on same chip as subbu and I like more the cinese akm4399 dac with a good margin.
Your is not an opinion, it is a speculation, you will have an opinion when directly compare the subbu to a weiliang dac.
I don't have an opinion on subbu why I don't know it, simply.
Ciao

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

I'd probably say to go for the DAC7, but I have a 5, with some capacitors swapped out, and really like it.
I would budget another $200-300 for mods, and you'll have something to be proud of.
A decent alternative to a ready made unit at a (much)higher price imo.

And the AYA2 2014 revision : populated kit with TDA 1541 by Audial (Pedja Rodjic) for 400 euros with a genuine chip !

go on the blog site of Audial or send a mail to Pedja with the contact form : some pcbs left... very good opportunity ! We did it with some fellows of DIYA to fight against the not good enough kit of EBAY or else !

I'm getting good feedback with the AK4399 options, especially the new dual version with the AK4118. Lots of love on this thread, and not too many problems.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/245905-ebay-weiliang-dual-x2-ak4399-dac-lcd-11.html

The ES9018 is a strong contender in theory, but looks like you have to throw more money at it.

Hi Andy...

Please post us what your decision is. I have build the 4P1L pre-amp with
inspiration from you and Ale, and I couldn't be happier :)

/Michael

I'm getting good feedback with the AK4399 options, especially the new dual version with the AK4118. Lots of love on this thread, and not too many problems.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/245905-ebay-weiliang-dual-x2-ak4399-dac-lcd-11.html

The ES9018 is a strong contender in theory, but looks like you have to throw more money at it.

I have used this DAC couple of months . I dont know better value for money . No Mods except PSU caps bigger 4x8200uf .No Lampization on this. Op amps of your choice . I prefer LT1028 /363 .Tight sound ,suits as opposite on DHT SE /fullrange system. Compared to friends Sudgen Reference CD player ,as good but different .

Papparazzi

Andyjevans or anyone else would like to hear the latest on opinions with these boards and recommendations. I only need USB input and going for best sound. Cost is not an issue within reason. I do not have enough knowledge to make my own upgrade decisions but have easy access to DigiKey and Mouser.

Andyjevans or anyone else would like to hear the latest on opinions with these boards and recommendations. I only need USB input and going for best sound. Cost is not an issue within reason. I do not have enough knowledge to make my own upgrade decisions but have easy access to DigiKey and Mouser.

I'm still using my ES2093 with lead acid battery supplies - those make a big difference. Not sure which way to go - probably dual AK4399. The drawback with the ES2018 is that there are a lot of chips in the output. So I'd welcome more opinions.

Hi,

I have a DAC7. I have change the 5 V supply on the USB CM6631 card - I use the one from the main board instead of the USB 5 V. (I mainly used the optical connextion, not the USB) It fix the sync problem at some setting. I have also upgrade the 3 op amp and used the OPA1642. Sound is great. Once connected to my Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, its almost like if the singer is present in the room - I said 'almost' but I am not far from that. its a big improvement compared to the 809 internal DAC. I understand that I can do more mod and get further improvement.

I am also looking for a new DAC and also have the same question, which one? Weiliang have so many design for each DAC . The top end one cost around 450$US assemble. I have read on another post that the ES2018 as a lot of potential but the sound is not yet as good as the DAC7, but is getting close with some mod. Close does not mean better so I should wait before purchasing that one. I dont know anything about the 4399, and would like to know more. Please send your opinion...

I am aslo thinking of hacking my TX-NR809. I have not find any post about it.

I own a DAC7 too. But the choice of the OpAmps to use is very important.....I've tried every OpAmp suitable for this DAC, but believe me the OPA627 is the best you can get......!!!Not the cheapest one, I agree, but the best sounding OpAmp till todays!!

HI wsliggers,

These several opamp I would like to experiment with my DAC7 later, but for now I just want to solve this puzzle. My DAC is attach to an Android TV BOX Minix Neo X7. I have found that when connect with the USB port, the sound is good but not better than with my receiver (connected with HDMI). On the other hand, if I use the optical connector to the DAC, wow, its like if the singer is in the room. its really a good notch better. Have you notice something similar ?
There is an occasional oscillation in my CM6631 USB circuit - I can ear in the speaker occasional high frequency pitch. That might be part of the problem.

Regarding Weiliang DAC, several people have suggest me the Weiliang dual AK4399. It seems to have better sound out of the box than others. The ES9018 with software control is also to consider but many says you have to invest money and time to improve it before getting a good result.

The AK4490EQ from DIYINHK is also on my watch list...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.