• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which Aikido pre-amp PCB for a newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'd like to build my first valve pre-amp and I'm looking at the Aikido PCB's.
I'm planning to run it into my Yamaha AX-570 (ok not the best I know but I can't afford anything else now). The Yamaha has a pre-out/main-in so I'm assuming I can use this as a power amp.

Now I see several PCB's available on the glassware site but confused as to which one to start with.

I can only buy a PCB board (not a full kit) now as I am sending it overseas and the customs here are very strict. (It has to be under 50 USD).
Planning to buy all components locally.

Please help.

thks

You need a power supply for the B+ and the heaters. no you dont need another circuit for the volume control, you just need a pot. Bas can supply you with the power supply board.
I've choosen the Aikido Mono 9 pin pcb its also my first valve preamp kit.

keith.

been using chipamps too long......

Thks Keith.

Seems to me that I'm going to need a lot of help here. I think the biggest challenge will be finding the parts down here in Uruguay. I could get my old folks to send them bit by bit from Birmingham.

Bas: Are you able to supply the schematic for the power supply? (Unless you sell the PCB's).

:)

You'll learn a lot designing your own power supply.

In fact, a power supply is a great place to start learning in general. Given that you won't be taking much from the actual amplifier design (JB's already done a great job in that with the Aikido), you might as well take advantage of the very forgiving nature of the Aikido when it comes to power design and roll your own.

I've found THE only supplier available in Uruguay.

He has;

12AX7 WA
12AX7 LPS

5AR4 Rectifier.

Can I use the 12AX7 in place of the 12SN7 or any other 8-pin valves suitable for the Aikido pre-amp?

Also is the Rectifier 5AR4 suitable for the power board? It's a little expensive. Maybe I could use a SS rectifier to start with and later upgrade the power board.

FYI I'm a total Rookie so if I have asked any dumb questions please excuse me:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.