Where to repair a Rawson Aleph 5 clone

Good for you for donning the nomex suit and diving in head first. :redhot: Please keep in mind that nobody hear flamed at you with any ill will. The absolute disdain for Rolsten and what he is doing is the issue.

To answer your question, yes, Pass labs does definitely service and support their gear.

Also, if you keep your positive attitude, you will not find a more supportive and helpful community than this one. In my experience even my sometimes stupid questions are answered without judgement. :D If you have an iron and the will you can change the caps out easily.

Hunter S Thompson

Tony;

As long as were quoting Hunter!

Recall the quote on journalism? It's mostly universal

"........a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.” And there is a downside as well.

Be safe and enjoy!

Cyclotronguy

OK, so I'm working on fixing the amps... they really sound good and drive my Maggies better than the ARC D70MkII....

So... so.... I have been seeing Aleph 3s and 1s on Audiogon.... but those are old amps by now. I'm not quite sure that 30 watts will drive the Maggies and the ARC D70 at 60 watts can barely do it.

I use a Pass Labs Aleph 3 with my MG-3A, but I bi-amp and the Aleph 3 only has to drive mid/high. I use a class AB amp for bass.

...And since we are on the subject

...I thought I'd post some shots of a Rawson I picked up for parts this summer. I know this thread has been silent for a few weeks, but after a friend sent the link to me, I can't resist.

I appreciate the love of building and TR's passion for it (he must have a passion or else there wouldn't be so many of his amps out there), but as I said to my friend, it's a shame because it doesn't take that much more time to do it right. And safely, I might add. Mine also had no mains AC ground, and that rat's nest was the power supply board.

Attachments

• aleph mini.jpg
    aleph mini.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 368

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Let's take a moment to consider this for a second -

Look at this photo;
452104d1417703498-where-repair-rawson-aleph-5-clone-img_1053.jpg

And realize that all of this poorly constructed and assembled metal/wire/trace/solder of this PSU is sitting open and exposed to the chassis with only the standoffs for insulation...

And there is no AC mains safety earth.... :eek::eek::eek:

:whacko::whacko::whacko:

:h_ache::h_ache::h_ache:

Again, we have an excellent example of why these amps are just plain dangerous.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
to be frank - taking poor soldering aside and wire takeout points , that psu pcb is just ugly , but completely functional

I never objected when someone's work is ugly ........... only when something is plain dangerous and/or unethical , as is the case with TR's

however , I'm sure that he doesn't care what we are saying around :roflL

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
everything will fall , eventually :rofl:

as I said - taking poor soldering aside and wire takeout points

as always - great made amps are sum of many great details , while bad made amps are sum of many flawed details ..........

who said that most important bike on which you are ever going to work - is you ?

ZM , smartypants

:devily:

I think you guys have been had by a troll :rofl:

Firstly, we are very serious about safety on this forum and for a good reason. I don't think the OP ever disclosed any actual photos of the amps himself (backing my troll theory), from what I read he said it was too late to open them up and take photos. Some detective work by forum goers found the actual amps and posted pictures lol.

Secondly I consider myself to be pretty much uneducated, but I have to question an "electrical engineer" whom can't see the obvious faults of the amplifier and thinks that the power supply energy is draining off through the power supply capacitors? Do you know what a capacitor is? I want to emphasize that my intentions are not to put somebody down but I seriously question the validity of this thread. The fix was a bad solder connection? Wouldn't this have been something to look for before posting? To get the best help on here is to post a schematic, hi-res photos of the build, and a valid question. But I smell a troll still ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe a room full of monkeys? You know what they say about monkeys and writing Shakespeare, perhaps if you fill a room with enough monkeys and show them how to solder they will eventually make an amplifier? Could this be objective proof? ;) :p

On a more serious level these amplifiers are unconscionable on every level from IP infringement to safety and are potentially an accident waiting to kill their owners.

From what I have gathered TR amps are usually obtained via on-line auctions. Has anyone else complained directly to the auction houses regarding the very low quality of workmanship shown in these amplifiers or commented to those auctions on clear examples of disregard for el. safety regulations? If so, what were the results/responses?

In which country does Rawson "work"?