Where do I start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go over 100-150 watts or so and you get increasing problems of various kinds. Power compression being one of them, a problem that feeds itself to a degree.
For PA I understand that the db level outranks most other parameters, and the drivers are often cooled enough.
For home applications I'd rather avoid those compromises.

You get power compression as a result of vc heating..as you know. Many pro drivers are designed to reduce this problem that can rob you of a dB or three at full stretch. Never going to be a problem domestically or in the studio if you work with decent efficiency drivers with large coils and around 95dB/watt.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A box suited to a Linkwitz transform is almost always sealed (i’ve not seen any vented ones) so with no hole it ultimately rolls off at 12 dB/octave. Put a hole in it and that becomes 24 dB/octave. Initial rolloff may be slower, and if you are tuning really low a modeler may not show enuff down low for you to see the ultimate amount. Those are laws of physics.

Personally i thing tuning too low to try to get LF extension is a waste of time. If you need max extension then a TL of some sort.

I have a good modeler (WinISD does not easily run on my computer and it is kinda crude) and have been using it for more than 2 decades with 100s of different drivers).

dave

Linkwitz Transform can be very useful, but it's not magic.

You're just compensating by using EQ to feed more power at low frequencies.
Cooling is much better since the excursion will help move more air around the driver, but at the same time, the driver is in an enclosed volume where the heat can build up rather quickly.

Luckily OP of this thread stated that there is no specific limit on real-estate, so a big-ish more efficient design can be evaluated, sidestepping these problems and limitations easily.
There are lots of reasonably priced 15" (or bigger) out there that can satisfy the criteria, providing loud volume, at low frequencies and with little power.
A good design could be built in between 120-180 liters/driver, and will probably have vastly greater sound quality than if you built a small box, and tried punishing a sub optimal solution with a more powerful whip instead.

Edit:
It depends on the needs and wants of the thread starter, a smaller woofer can be used in a smaller box. A suitable 12" might thrive in a box under 100 liters.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.