"What's your reasoning?" and not "What's your belief?".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A better model...

JCX,

If you add a model of a microphone at the beginning of your audio circuit and a model of a speaker at the end of your audio circuit, don't you find that it matters not BJT or FET?

A very good microphone: 30hz to 50khz (>1db); noise: 8 uV rms; distortion: ~0.5% 1khz (hard to find specifications really)
Good speakers: 20hz to 30khz (3db); distortion: 0.05% 1khz
Good amplifier: DC to 530hz; noise < 1uV rms; distortion: <0.01% (20-20khz).

It seems like the electronic specifications exceed the transducer specifications by something like an order of magnitude. Seems like someone here would know, off hand, if this is the case or not.

JF

ingrast said:

Though this is true from a systems viewpoint, please let me suggest this test does not compare bjt vs. fet gm. We might say - borrowing from tube nomenclature - you are comparing mu (voltage gain) for you are loading collector / drain with high impedance.

A true gm test should load collector / drain with short circuits and should measure current (i.e. input voltage vs. output current). Probably a more accurate - and realistic considering popular circuit topologies - could be a cascode configuration where the low impedance loading approaches the short circuit condition.

Rodolfo

Actually my sim circuit topology is the classic diff pair - Miller integrator VAS and unity gain buffer – the open loop gain at the test frequency is very nearly gm_diff/(2*pi*f*C1) the output conductance/voltage feedback ratio terms in the input diff pair devices have many orders of magnitude less effect

The G1, C1 Miller integrator VAS input impedance is: 1/gm_G1 = 1 Ohm in this sim, easily determined “by inspection” as they say – G1 voltage dependent current source has infinite input impedance so any current from the diff pair must be balanced by C1 || R3 feedback branch current, since E1 also has infinite input impedance no current flows in E1 input, therefore the current in the local feedback branch exactly equals G1 current, the voltage at the input to G1 that gives the input balancing current is v = i/gm_G1, in this sim I've used G = 1 mho, rather higher than typically used in real amps but it keeps the math really simple in this example sim

andy_c said:

That was the case I was thinking of in my earlier conversation with Jan. Lowest noise case, equal gain-bandwidth product. Seems fair to me. Sounds like the usual "reduce gm and reduce Ccomp for the same gain-bandwidth product" trick. Although I guess if the compensation cap is very small to begin with, this isn't possible.

The infinite voltage gain of the ideal voltage controlled current source G1 hides the cost of added gain from reducing C1 feedback cap – any real VAS implementation will have finite input, output and shunt impedances that will limit the local voltage gain, by reducing the local feedback and requiring the same voltage swing for less input current the VAS has less error correcting loop gain to linearize its own transfer function – admittedly VAS linearity isn’t often a big concern but I think it worth pointing out that there is no such thing as free gain

Re: A better model...

johnferrier said:

A very good microphone: 30hz to 50khz (>1db); noise: 8 uV rms; distortion: ~0.5% 1khz (hard to find specifications really)
JF

I really doubt the number with 0.5% distortion !

If you take a look to my post at:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=495793#post495793

You will find a distortionmeasurement of a speaker, done with a micro,
most of the distortions are far below 0.5%. If a micro would be that bad,
none of these measurements would make sense...
It was not a bad micro, but not the best on world.

Mike

Microphones are usually really low distortion at realistic input levels. Of course at 120-140 SPL they can measure some distortion, depending on their quality and sensitivity. This can be computed backward to estimate distortion at normal input levels, 90dB or so, by considering the elements class A in operation (no xover distortion) and noting the dominant harmonic (usually 2nd).

lumanauw said:
I must be missing the surprising thing. Maybe I dont hear what I suppose to hear. Mind to share the surprising thing? What is it?

The surprising thing is that the NE 5534 make a much better null than the OPA 2604...:cool:

Do your home work and do the null test , you will understand a lot of things...

IF you don't want to do the home work see some values taken by a friend of mine...(Ricardo)

Post # 57 in

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23030&perpage=10&pagenumber=6

Cheers

For me is clear the meaning of your test.

The NE5534 is the most linear device ever made in a sense that it makes the output equal to the input. The more you compare to other devices (I tested a lot of them), the more you realise that, and like your test shows and you don’t need expensive measurement equipment to get to that conclusion...

For me the basic function of an Amplifier is to Amplify without adding anything so, if you want your amplifier like to behave like a "musical instrument" adding al kinds of distortion go ahead and use other type of opamp. If you want to listen to your source without adding nothing you already now what to use because your test proved that.

Regards

Rick

Folks, 'null' testing is interesting and informative, but the residual, whatever it is, must be evaluated with a spectrum analysis, if you really want it to be meaningful. You can try it, of course, but usually LINEAR DISTORTION, do to phase shift, rather than nonlinear distortion, will dominate and limit the test.
I really wish that it did work well, BUT we (Walt Jung, Scott Wurcer, and I) found that even a single capacitor can have a measurable residual when directly compared to another capacitor of similar value, but slightly different material composition. How about an entire amp?
It is true that the apparent audible null is convincing, but why is it that the Hafler 280 is not the truly representative amplifier for the audio industry?
Actually the 280 is very similar in concept and execution to the first Levinson power amp, many of the Krell amps, and the Parasound amps. Yet, each and every amp sounds somewhat different. Why?

Actually the 280 is very similar in concept and execution to the first Levinson power amp, many of the Krell amps, and the Parasound amps. Yet, each and every amp sounds somewhat different. Why?

Mr curl

Do the null test to all them and you will see that will have diferent residual.

It's possible to do better than the xl280...

regards

Rick

Unfortunately the null test mixes non-linear errors and linear errors together. Even a small phase shift is the biggest source of errors. It is impossible to evaluate the results. I had been trying to use this method but left it. The best amp according to this method is that of frequency range DC - MHz region, regardless non-linearities, and that's not what we are trying to find.

Unfortunately the null test mixes non-linear errors and linear errors together. Even a small phase shift is the biggest source of errors. It is impossible to evaluate the results. I had been trying to use this method but left it. The best amp according to this method is that of frequency range DC - MHz region, regardless non-linearities, and that's not what we are trying to find.

For me phase shift is distortion... it's a distortion of time, and for me one of the greatest culprits of the solid state sound, because most comercial solid state amplifiers have huge phase shift...

Ok you can say that valve amplifiers sound soft and have phase shift as well but they have a fundamental reason that i leave to you guys to discover...

Unfortunately the null test mixes non-linear errors and linear errors together.

For me that an advantage... When you have a low null test, every type of distortion is low... can you identify any type of distortion in noise?

regards

Rick

jcx said:
Actually my sim circuit topology is the classic diff pair - Miller integrator VAS and unity gain buffer – the open loop gain at the test frequency is very nearly gm_diff/(2*pi*f*C1) the output conductance/voltage feedback ratio terms in the input diff pair devices have many orders of magnitude less effect

jcx:

I had the purpose of working your sim last weekend but had to devote it to rebuilding my system after an unsucessful installation (of other software) trashed the disk :headbash:

I get the point with your reasoning, but what I want to see - it is not clear to me but will work on it - is whether there is an important voltage swing at the fet's drain.

If that were the case, results will be highly dependent on the Vds / Id region where it is taking place because of pinchoff. This is not the case for bjt's, for they approach reasonably to ideal current sources frome the onset.

Will keep you informed whatever the outcome. Will try to include a cascode variation for comparison. Not really proficient for the time being with LTspice since I worked for years with Microcap.

Rodolfo

rickpt,

You are wrong. The phase shift of amplifiers is correlated to their amplitude characteristic. The amplifiers with norrower bandwidth (tube + transformer) have larger frequency dependent phase shifts.

This is quite unimportant, as human ear is unable to evaluate phase shift, it is only able to evalute phase difference between various sources. The phase shift of speakers is huge and exceeds this of amplifiers many many times.

According to the null method the best amp is that with unlimited frequency range. Do you thing that the DC - 10MHz amp must necessarily sound better than that of 10Hz - 35kHz?? If you think yes, then try the amp with unlimited bandwith and start to reduce it step by step. Then tell me your result.

PMA said:

Gentlemen:

Please let me stress again a more up to date null test must be done off line processing datasets resulting from high quality input and output digitization.

This way not only AMPLITUDES are nulled, but all SYSTEMATIC linear deviations, so as to be left strictly with what really matters.

This nonwithstanding other references to successfull application of the null test as described elsewhere.

Rodolfo

You are wrong. The phase shift of amplifiers is correlated to their amplitude characteristic. The amplifiers with norrower bandwidth (tube + transformer) have larger frequency dependent phase shifts.

but you foget one thing...because the transformer this creates a lag in the high frequecies... in the solid state case is quite the oposite... so it isnt only dependent on the amplitude like you say...you can have lag or advance of phase...
So you are wrong...

This is quite unimportant, as human ear is unable to evaluate phase shift, it is only able to evalute phase difference between various sources. The phase shift of speakers is huge and exceeds this of amplifiers many many times.

talk about your speakers, not mine...

According to the null method the best amp is that with unlimited frequency range. Do you thing that the DC - 10MHz amp must necessarily sound better than that of 10Hz - 35kHz??

For me an amplifier should have enough bandwith so that it dosent exibit phase shift in the audio range...

If you think yes, then try the amp with unlimited bandwith and start to reduce it step by step. Then tell me your result.

i dont use any type of filters on my amplifiers, so that should answer your question...

regards

Rick

This is a step response of the B&W Matrix801, in fact one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Just guess how the phase characteristics look like.

Attachments

• bwll801fig09.jpg
    bwll801fig09.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 284
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.