What's up with the 3015lf pricing??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The US seems to re-open their rare metal mines for the search of Neodymium and other rare earth metals.
Oops that was the old link:eek:

The new

link

From the link:
Inside a warehouse at the mine are dozens of huge white sacks, each weighing a metric tonne and each worth $200,000 (£125,700).

"Those powders then get turned into metals as magnets or used in their oxide forms for a variety of uses in a variety of different substances," Mr Sims says.

$200,000 /2200 = $90 per pound (16 ounces), $198 per kilo.

With the 3015LF magnet weighing 11 ounces, I don’t expect production of neodymium in the USA is going to bring Neo magnet speaker costs back down :(.

I noticed that after taking a good solid year to mangle their formerly perfectly functional website (What have they been trying to do, make it slower and clunkier than MCM's site?) to one where you can't even save a speaker datasheet directly to file, they raised a lot of prices disrespectably high.

Even if this 3015LF price is a mistake (It had better be!), PE is starting to screw up Badly.

Probably just inflation. If you're a small retailer you probably have woofers "on the shelf" which were purchased in 2010 or even 2009. Parts Express moves a lot of product, and they're probably being subjected to higher prices because the value of a dollar has fallen dramatically when indexed against commodities. (copper, steel, gold, etc.)

So even though the published inflation statistics don't show a big change in value, there IS a big change if you look at the value of a dollar when compared to the value of commodities.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's the price of copper, to give you an idea. If you thought gas prices were bad, they ain't nothing compared to copper and gold prices :D

Traditional magnet system:
Eminence Definimax 4015LF ($200-9mm)
BMS 15S330 ($180-10.5mm)
BMS 15S430 ($222-10mm)

P.S.

The JBL method of measuring x-max is not known to me, the 6.5mm figure in post #22 may be higher with the +(1/4)GH method.

BMS, I added +(1/4)GH to the data sheet values.

Faital Pro, they use +(1/3)GH, so you need to subtract a bit from their numbers to compare.

Eminence, the old method (several years now) was coil overhang only, new method includes a percentage of GH.

P-Audio, coil overhang only, you need to add +(1/4)GH.

Hello DJK.
Where in US I can get BMS 15S330 for $180?
thank you.

Hello DJK.
Where in US I can get BMS 15S330 for $180?
thank you.
Sergey,

Jack Arnott of Assistance Audio should be the USA go to guy, his price listing as of today shows $251 for the BMS 15S330.

Attachments

• Assistance Audio.png
    Assistance Audio.png
    256 KB · Views: 119
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.