What's the best pair of speakers you've ever heard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KEF LS50 looks like they should be boring. They are not and they are cheap. I find nearly all box speakers show that they have a box. The best way I can say it is like I have something cupping my ears at best. LS50 almost seems as good as a box speaker gets. I don't like plastic cones. KEF even have thoese. I heard the prototype UniQ KEF years ago, they have come a long way. First good one was Q10 that was nearly there.

I recently built a new concept 1950's baffle speaker. They could be forgiven everything as there was no box sound. 4 x 2 feet each and loads of EQ.

KEF LS50 looks like they should be boring. They are not and they are cheap. I find nearly all box speakers show that they have a box. The best way I can say it is like I have something cupping my ears at best. LS50 almost seems as good as a box speaker gets. I don't like plastic cones. KEF even have thoese. I heard the prototype UniQ KEF years ago, they have come a long way. First good one was Q10 that was nearly there.

I recently built a new concept 1950's baffle speaker. They could be forgiven everything as there was no box sound. 4 x 2 feet each and loads of EQ.
Hello Nigel.
Somebody on this forum said put a large area shallow flare around the likes of Kef dual concentric drivers....this was the basis of his stage floor monitors, reputed to be good.
I have a pair of Kefs with dual concentric drivers, I would like to try the experiment.
I used to have a pair of Grundig speakers that were in the form factor of a shirt box, only 3 times the area.
Inside were a pair of very nice rubber surround 5"' and pair of nice dome tweeters, very heavily damped internally with sheep wool.
This flat thin form factor meant that they could stand unsupported on a floor/shelf or flush mounted to a wall.
Those little speakers rocked big time.

Kef DC drivers in a largish area low profile correctly damped enclosure with shallow horn mounted to a wall or melded into the corners ought to be good fun.
Done right can approach soffit mounting.

Dan.

Hi Mr Acoustat,

So bad than a coustat are difficult to find on second hand in my country, it seems to be a very solid speaker which doesn't break with time and a good bargain for the price!

Why some prefer ESL like 2905 and others really prefer managneplanar like J Atkins with the Maggies 3.7... I can't really understand why 2 grups exists with those family planars... personal flavor Taste ? one more difficult to drive ? Do the ESL just better in the mid while maggies have fantastic trebles with their rubban tweeter and solid clear bass ?

Is there a good multi cellular ESL which everybody agree for a better quality ?

Hi, all i can say is that for ME Acoustat are cheap and very very reliable, my last pair of 1+1s was bought for $600.00 Canadian and after all mods they cost me $3K Canadian, the steel frame alone cost $1K, these speakers where compared with speakers that cost more than 10K and came out the winner not bad for 30 years old speakers ( 1984 )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/
Acoustat DIY 1+1s electrostatic speakers
Keep_It_Simple_1600x12001.JPG

Last edited:
The B&W 801s are very revealing.

I never really considered Peavey in the Hi-Fi league.

The point we all need to consider is 1). What are you listening to. 2). Where are you listening to it. 3). What amplification are you using.

I've been demo-ing some B&W 802D's they sound wonderful with my Pass Aleph 4 but sounded mediocre with the mono-blocks that the store had them hooked up to. (Sorry but I didn't make a note of the mono-block model number).

Pretty much every time I've auditioned B&W speakers, the harsh treble has given me a headache. In fact, this has happened with most "high end" brands being demoed at audio boutiques.

After I listened to Revel Salon Ultimas I was intrigued and researched them. That is when I learned about Harman's testing labs and methods - aimed at finding the best sounding speakers, not speakers which just quickly catch listener's attention with a brief listening at the store, impressing them with "extra detail" not heard in other speakers. I need to point out something regarding my listening to the RSUs: I went into the room with a bias against metal tweeters, I EXPECTED not to like them, that they would have a harsh "metallic" top. I am one to explain the evils of listener bias to the point of beating a dead horse, but I guess sometimes sound can overcome bias because I threw on a track that I knew would hurt my ears and make me cry if the treble was really harsh: "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac off the CD "Rumours" which was one of twenty or so CDs I brought for auditioning.

Well, the metallic plucking strings were bright and crystal clear, and the speakers were loud enough to feel the energy buzzing in the air - but no harshness, just a desire to hear more.

62224845.jpg

Pretty much every time I've auditioned B&W speakers, the harsh treble has given me a headache. In fact, this has happened with most "high end" brands being demoed at audio boutiques.

After I listened to Revel Salon Ultimas I was intrigued and researched them. That is when I learned about Harman's testing labs and methods - aimed at finding the best sounding speakers, not speakers which just quickly catch listener's attention with a brief listening at the store, impressing them with "extra detail" not heard in other speakers. I need to point out something regarding my listening to the RSUs: I went into the room with a bias against metal tweeters, I EXPECTED not to like them, that they would have a harsh "metallic" top. I am one to explain the evils of listener bias to the point of beating a dead horse, but I guess sometimes sound can overcome bias because I threw on a track that I knew would hurt my ears and make me cry if the treble was really harsh: "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac off the CD "Rumours" which was one of twenty or so CDs I brought for auditioning.

Well, the metallic plucking strings were bright and crystal clear, and the speakers were loud enough to feel the energy buzzing in the air - but no harshness, just a desire to hear more.

62224845.jpg

Yes they are great speakers my friend Gerry's system.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

yes yes yes, from the low efficientty family with metalic cone & dome there are The Boston Acoustic Lynnfield serie, 300l, 400L, 500L...

My 400L are like that, soft but clear crystal with a good midbass & even better with a notch around 4K hz maid with the help of Phil John himself with a gentle mail and the great help of Diyaudio fellows as well (thread here somewhere)

With a Chord SPM 1000 B... :D...

But the mid-bass and bass with great dynamic of the high efficienty:p , a next step one next day (Synergie or dedicated mid-bass... DIY this time:))

I have a pair of Kefs with dual concentric drivers, I would like to try the experiment..
A good example of how the speakers are almost irrelevant to the end result - at the recent Sydney audio show they has a room with the best and brightest of the current Kef concentrics - and it was classic "get me out of this room fast!" sound. All the usual irky, irritating hifi unpleasantries were present - midfi at best ...

Very few people can get it ... "It's the System, Stupid!" ...

A good example of how the speakers are almost irrelevant to the end result - at the recent Sydney audio show they has a room with the best and brightest of the current Kef concentrics - and it was classic "get me out of this room fast!" sound. All the usual irky, irritating hifi unpleasantries were present - midfi at best ...

Very few people can get it ... "It's the System, Stupid!" ...
I dont see the point
wasnt impressed with kef ls50 no matter the elctronics

But I'm certain that those Kefs would sound superb if driven properly - I've done many rounds of "rescuing" speakers by giving them a system which behaves itself ... a high performance vehicle will still be amazing to drive, even if shod with the most mediocre tyres one can buy.

But I'm certain that those Kefs would sound superb if driven properly - I've done many rounds of "rescuing" speakers by giving them a system which behaves itself ... a high performance vehicle will still be amazing to drive, even if shod with the most mediocre tyres one can buy.
yeah indeed. Amps can really make or break a speaker ime.

but those kefs are ultimately limited, no matter the electronics behind.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.