What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

8" full range drivers are too big to be used alone without a tweeter because they lack detail. People who feel they need more bass than full range speakers offer are better off just getting a nice 2-way speaker.

Have you heatd the Audio Nirvana drivers? I have their 15" Super Ferrite and there's no lack of detail to my ears. My ears don't go above 15kHz mind. The bass is plenty but I dn't know hw the 8" performs in that dept.

Have you heatd the Audio Nirvana drivers? I have their 15" Super Ferrite and there's no lack of detail to my ears. My ears don't go above 15kHz mind. The bass is plenty but I dn't know hw the 8" performs in that dept.

I haven't heard the Audio Nirvana drivers but I have been listening to the Fostex FF105wk and FF85wk drivers. Though neither unit can reproduce high frequencies as well as a Seas 1" tweeter, I do find the FF85wk acceptable and the FF105wk disappointing. From this experience, I do not recommend full range drivers larger than 4". Reproducing detail is very important to me and I do tend to listen to high quality sources. I don't like mp3s or music run through compressed codecs.

Here's a couple of piccies of the Queensway driver that has my curiosity:

There's a dip in the treble region - apparently our ears are forgiving of dips but not peaks.

Attachments

• QUEENWAY-Full-Range-HIFI-8-inch-Speaker-Driver-Aluminium-gilded-bullet-Aluminium-skelet.jpg
    QUEENWAY-Full-Range-HIFI-8-inch-Speaker-Driver-Aluminium-gilded-bullet-Aluminium-skelet.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 889
  • HTB17yvbLpXXXXbGXFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg
    HTB17yvbLpXXXXbGXFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 883
found a thread on it: do these Chinese 8"full range look familiar?

seems I stuck my nose in that thread but nothing came of it. It has a lower Qts than the Audio Nirvana, which helps make for a smaller box. But Vas is double the AN so it's a wash. One with whizzer, one without.

fyi - uploaded the AN classic 8 spec.

Attachments

• an8classicalnicospecs.jpg
    an8classicalnicospecs.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Own them, choose your flavour:

Pioneer PAX lifelike midrange with warm alnico sound.

Same can be said for vintage Philips.

Lowther DX3, bite your head off but super transparent. Poor quality construction.

Fostex FE206en, balanced, textured, dynamic, but a tad veiled compared to lowther.

I wish there was something like the lowther that was the price and quality of Fostex.

I’ve had them all in both a bass reflex and front horn loading. Front horn loading is definitely the way to go. I’ve also done back loaded horn using Fostex plans, with a FE163-ens, which was very nice. Airborne wood cones. I would like to try the Tangband 8” ers. You can see from the blog we have tried Alpair and JBL le8 midrange which is worth considering as well.