• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What tubes for a OTL tube amp?

(Cause I love my wife I did the same her but her getter never activate de gassing herself)

Sí, muy chistoso, pero en mi hilo no publicás uno ni de pedo. :D
Yes, very funny, but in my thread, you don't publish neither by chance. :D

Another point Mr Popilin. You kill me hard and deep with all this mathematics.
But one observation, IMHO, the Anode surround all the system (screens, grids and cathode) and the electronics cloud goes until it. If any stupid magnetic fields became present in the inner anode structure, that magnetic field going to surround the above mentioned structures, "Ergo" this magnetic field does not make anything annoying to the electronic clouds.

My querido amigo, no te enojes, en esta sección del foro paso automáticamente al "modo pelea" ;)
Por cierto, ¿Qué parte de "Yo no tengo idea" no te quedó clara? :D

My dear friend, do not be angry, in this section of the forum I pass automatically to "fight mode" ;)
BTW, Which part of "I have no idea" I was not clear? :D

Webiando found
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/205819-how-magnetic-affect-sound-tube-amplifier.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/40102-anyone-got-any-opinions.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/38723-tweeks-tubes-bring-out-demagnetiserss.html

Last edited:
I never going to fight with a friend further he try to de gassiness my wife.
Friends are few and the best is to persuade them.
You are right with your theories (I guess from the beginning)
But how many times you gonna put a magneto near your vacuum tube device?
Your are right also with the ferric or magnetic structure of the plates. But I noted that the anode surround the rest of the structures, the magnetic property in deflex the beam of electrons will be depreciable because the suspect magnetic effect where you guess to act. Ferrous and nickel alloys not mean that they gonna remain and became permanent magnetized, means that they are differentiated for a magnetic field.
At the end I repeat Deeply IMHO how much the valves can magnetized itself and we be in trouble with the music reproduction?

The other question Mr Popilin from traslasierra.
If each time the plates rise the Tº to make possible an spontaneously demagnetization for heating the structure? We recently talked by phone about this phenomena.
Repeatedly IMHO.

My friend, an equation is worth a thousand words

M = C (B/T)

M is the magnetization, B is the magnetic field, T is the absolute temperature, and C is the Curie constant.
Curie's law applies only to high temperatures or weak magnetic fields, since it fails in describing the phenomenon when the magnetic moments are aligned, that is, when we approach the magnetic saturation. At this point, the magnetic field response to the applied field is no longer linear.

I getting my expectations.
Nobody gave evidence of many measures that audiophiles take for a lot of things like that.
Magnetics fields, cathode striping in preamp valves, further in output valves.
Does anybody lost time in build a bench for compare live expectancy in both and worst cases. Yes with two valves, of course.
Next time I will put the delaying part of the circuit in output part for avoid the bumps in my beloved Lowther speakers
Thanks Popilin and Waveburn for waste your time with this mortal believer.

Well cleared Mr Wavebourn, My friend Popilin (Juan Esteban) had a little idiomatic mistake but the concept is well knew because I talked many times with him about this.

little... :rolleyes: You are too kind to me. :)
Words are not my thing, even worse in my Tarzan-English.
But we need to put some name to things.
Contrary to our said "Do not clarify, that obscures", I will try to clarify the mess I made before.

Ion Bombardment
The vacuum in a valve is not perfect, so there are gas molecules randomly floating between the anode and cathode.
If an electron should be accelerated towards the anode from the cathode, there is always a chance that it will collide with a gas molecule and have sufficient energy to remove an electron from that molecule, rendering it positively charged and attracted to a lower potential such as the cathode.
These ions can have a significant momentum when it strikes the cathode.

Case 1: Vak = 0, Hot Cathode
In metals, at normal temperature, the conduction band is essentially filled of electrons only up to the Fermi energy EF, to extract an electron from the metal is therefore necessary to give a starting energy ei, but at high temperatures the occupation of electronic states extends above EF.
If the temperature is high enough, some electrons reach energies greater than EF + ei, and escape from the metal.
If the temperature increases further, as someone suggested in this thread, the Fermi energy level is widely exceeded and electrons have enough energy to collide with a gas molecule, and have enough energy to remove an electron from that molecule, rendering it positively charged and attracted to a lower potential such as the cathode.
The force acting on the ions, is due to the electric field created by the charge distribution between the cathode and anode, ie. the electron cloud.
F = e E
For simplicity we assume that ions are fermions, then from the Fermi-Dirac distribution, some ions after interacting with the electron cloud, hit the cathode with enough momentum to be absorbed into its surface.
This phenomenon is called "Cathode Poisoning"

Case 2: Vak = B+, Cathode warms from cold
The cathode starts to warm up to a certain temperature barely above the Fermi energy level.
For simplicity we assume that only one electron is emitted.
This electron is accelerated toward the anode and assuming that collides with at least one gas molecule, and has enough energy to produce an ion.
Now there is no electron cloud, then the force exerted on the ion, is due to the electric field created by the potential difference between cathode and anode.
F = e E = - e grad (φ)
The ion hit the cathode with enough momentum to produce sputtering in the cathode.
This phenomenon is called "Cathode Stripping"

Conclusion: Cathode Poisoning and Cathode Stripping are particular cases of the same phenomenon: Ion Bombardment.

I getting my expectations.
Nobody gave evidence of many measures that audiophiles take for a lot of things like that.
Magnetics fields, cathode striping in preamp valves, further in output valves.
Does anybody lost time in build a bench for compare live expectancy in both and worst cases. Yes with two valves, of course.
Next time I will put the delaying part of the circuit in output part for avoid the bumps in my beloved Lowther speakers
Thanks Popilin and Waveburn for waste your time with this mortal believer.

Che loco, me rompí el orto haciendo cuentas y ahora pedís mediciones.:rolleyes:
Si apenas tengo guita p'a la Coca Cola, Cristina y la p...:cuss:

Buddy, I worked hard making calculations, and now you ask for measurements.:rolleyes:
My budget is very tight...:D

Dear Popilin from traslasierra.
I always knew about your knowledge and wisdom, more far, In our tertulias we interchange the clear definition about the sex of angels and the concepts of Sriping (desnudando al cátodo) and poison it (vistiéndolo). You don't need to explain mister, you are there chewing your the knowledge and spreading new points of focusing.
Don't worry macho a big hug for you.