What to do with Audio Nirvana 8" Alnicos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Q on these is too high for anything but a way too practical box — unless you can cut holes in the wall and use the next room as the box.

I'd suggest a baffle-like box similar to what BigUn did for his AN15s. It should still start out fairly large, 100-150 litres.

dave
8 inch driver with 1 mm Xmax in 150L box is really a waste of material, space, and time. It is like putting car engine to an aircraft carrier. Maybe it would be better to get better drivers.

I think you can get reasonable performance in 40L sealed box. It won't get much below 100Hz, but this driver is limited by Xmax below 200Hz anyway.

Last edited:
The bad news is these speakers are not suited to Karlson speakers. The large Vas and limited Xmax mean you cannot get to the lower freq. However the Karlsonator is definitely possible because it inherently reduces cone motion. Unfortunately i am not as creative as X so I cannot help you there. You will need X's help to simulate this in a karlsonator

if his suspension is like my stamped frame/ferrite AN8 - then Vas may not be very high :D- but Qt would rise too. I've used a UCX22 12" with Qt ~1.1 and Fs ~110Hz in K12 - no boom - no bass - nice mids - cone was basically locked from suspension aging. Same for a Lafayette SK-58 coax. Some old speakers seem to last forever with regards to staying near new Fs. My AN8 stiffened in a matter of a few years - perhaps its reversible with use and turpentine on the black goop

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think you can get reasonable performance in 40L sealed box. It won't get much below 100Hz, but this driver is limited by Xmax below 200Hz anyway.

Questionable statement. Sim:

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• AN8alnico-40L-sealed.gif
    AN8alnico-40L-sealed.gif
    63.1 KB · Views: 368
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hi P10 (btw, very glad to see U back)

Thanx.

do the alnico AN8 have improved suspension? - my stamped frame ferrite AN8 stiffened enough to raise fs a half octave above spec to the low 60s - is that from the black goop? (or spider?)

I can't speak to that, but the olderstamped basket Super 8s i treated had measured T/S so different that they looked like different drivers and i was not all that impressed with their sonics.

dave

Hi guys,

Firstly, I really appreciate everyone chiming in with thoughts and ideas, it's helping me out a lot!

I decided to measure the results of stuffing and EQing to show you all in case you are interested (for science!).

Box capacity: ~55L, port hole tuned to 60Hz

Here is 1/12 smoothed curves before applying any stuffing:
y4m7azIoCoZlwGpA8JzBJHbZ6lQhxT1j0K-acanXezj6HGOTndYwUoNq05-bkm5XwEIRG0AkprCK52bJeBRE2TG5bmaa4wkAY-VhWyftxOnSn3a11maZ5p0GjZ5a6rBkjaaM7qwtlIDbQd6Kwke9oMcBq-rZf2YPgN3zo3boqcWErxGwnVjBUm3ajw8jpmbyUGJ3BJxouNOUqQgDDFf8EGgTQ

Next is ~250g of stuffing in each box:
y4ms_Xy8xs5d7-oGhnoYWnHMV5YNumx3CVQAkbqxUZOUusrWFwbrkivM0_Wv3CpdO9LDhj9TE7g5exhKNHFdvvrtmaTgZzltS_hllB7Ed0DFFiyFWhC-IbaX2HZs-BBPu27utFvpQIy-pwiF4v2OWDtGWAhegXY0Efhq0BmtWVE9KG8wPOK0F03GYJVhwykOBeeakC4mx9QAxo3TNmFHyT9qA

Next is stuffed and port hole blocked with thick foam:
y4mWY_fJ2ZWRf6kD-QYrVwtJfUBoCfDV8XKqRVl267fgg8MNTdvO-G8XEDMlw6tSvx-QFI_uZcT1eNdn2W2wnIMTqlgnmGu-6esJbPKErZ02Zd37zSyelFtifaYf2wgw8_ix0PLnRXnglOVFLR20XnNirfafnXtT4H5vadqh7BM40y2hIL1SHNW6vKaxqq4FUaoZTLQE5Mz2xGcTcYfsA5Xyg

So, what's interesting is without any stuffing, the bass is not terrible, and the treble is slightly muted.

After stuffing, the treble improves, and the bass gets weaker, even more so when port hole is stuffed as well.

After applying several EQ presets (19 entries), I have a much even curve:
y4mjnrqFwJ_mhq2GF5ra55ihBmjTujLDfNLY2FsIIWdxdcwrUGxgc1qvZj7yO-_86qVOsveJN5ES-bkKznjnW9xEaVAnbPeB9PiM7LviJNlVy52OGMW0xLMdMpmfBXtTumpQott2h08iF9uTT7ugj5ELWcfTup-tZkHXaNne3yDGgLszpjBd0LD0DREnv7XUhYtZXzHns7815ldM_CmhBej_g

What do you guys think? Is the treble region what most would consider "ragged"? Is this a limitation of full range drivers with whizzer cones?

The other thing that is interesting is these drivers are very weak in the 200-300Hz range, which is so essential to "full" sounding music. With my presets I am losing 9db to push those frequencies up (by 9db).

Doesn't look bad (even un-stuffed).
Where all this measurements done in same position (mic and speakers)?

200-300Hz dip could be because of room (try different positions). Or maybe it is baffle step and then bump below 200Hz?

Stuffing probably helped treble, because port is close to speakers and leaked some high frequencies.

Last edited:
Questionable statement. Sim:

627057d1500757670-audio-nirvana-8-alnicos-an8alnico-40l-sealed-gif

dave
My simulation showed 2.5 - 3 dB peak. Did you include stuffing?
You can add 200uF capacitor and it will be flat (ignoring room and baffle).

3 dB is not that much when you consider room effects and baffle step.

Simulation with baffle step (baffle dimensions are not exact):
attachment.php

Attachments

• an8_bafflestep.png
    an8_bafflestep.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
So, what's interesting is without any stuffing, the bass is not terrible, and the treble is slightly muted.

After stuffing, the treble improves, and the bass gets weaker, even more so when port hole is stuffed as well.

What do you guys think? Is the treble region what most would consider "ragged"? Is this a limitation of full range drivers with whizzer cones?

The other thing that is interesting is these drivers are very weak in the 200-300Hz range, which is so essential to "full" sounding music. With my presets I am losing 9db to push those frequencies up (by 9db).

Greets!

'Sounds' like everything is as it should be, though a 200-400 Hz dip is usually an eigenmode, so is there a reflective surface [often the floor] around 22-23" from the driver's center?

GM

Not exactly a 'very nice' impedance curve either given the continual ripple exhibited, despite the 20ohm increments on the Y axis scale. Although in fairness, they're hardly alone in using variations on that one. Nobody would sell a widebander if they didn't, & it's nice to have another widebander without a whizzer.

What do you reckon Greg -about 7.25ohm output impedance or series R, sans a horn?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.