What Test Equipment Do You Have On Your Bench??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, here it is:
Tek ASG 100 - signal gen
Tek TDS 430A - digital scope
Fluke 189 - DMM
Wavtek 85XT - DMM
4 other DMMs
Sencor LC103 - cap and inductor tester
Tek THS 720 - handheld LCD scope / DMM
Leader 100mhz scope
Tek 764 - Digital audio scope (broadcast standard)
Prism Sound DSA-1 - Digital Audio analyser
too much other junk to mention

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Test Equipment

Mr. markp, you seem to like your Tektronix

I've just won a Tek TX1 on ebay....

My full list is as follows (lazy reply last time):-

Fluke 187 DMM
Fluke 77 DMM
Fluke 8020A DMM (great meters these as they will sit reading B+ happily all day; don't auto power off)
Cheap Micronta DMM
AVO B131 LCR meter
Unigor 6EP analogue meter (superb)
AVO Test Set Multirange (metal cased military AVO8; ex REME) rarely used
Small AVO analogue meter
Cheap Micronta analogue meter
Tek 475 scope
HP 3310A function generator
HP 334A distortion analyzer

Plus various HT power supplies, variac, Weller and Antex soldering irons (are Metcals really worth the money?), various leads, Coline scope probes, R+C decade boxes, dummy loads, cheap Micronta transistor tester (call me the Micronta King!) plus most likely a load of other junk I've forgotten:)

Well, since you asked........

HP RF spectrum analyzers
HP FFT
HP TDR
HP counter
HP RF sweeeper
HP plotter
HP X-Y recorder
HP 'scopes
HP bench supplies
HP function generator
A bunch of HP microwave stuff

Guess that makes me the resident HP king.

Or sucker. Take your pick.

Oh yeah......an Ivie RTA rig. A piece of junk that breaks all the time, but is still handy.

Jocko

On topic ...

till, ahh, that 7D13 :clown:

On topic time :

My test equipment, all dirt cheap (mostly ebay'd) :D :

Scope - Tek 7603 / 7A26 / 7A22 / 7A13 / 7B53 / 7B85 (old but ace kit!)
signal - Phillips PM5127 (heroic OP voltage, rock steady, after an hour !)
signal - Telequipment scope calibrator (100 volt square waves !)
signal - Battery powered bridge T oscillator (home made)
DMM - Keithley 179/T20 (Racal badged version - cost peanuts - very nice)
DMM - Schlumberger / Solartron 1750 (auto-ranging)
Scope - Pico ADC216 16bit @ 300KHz
PSU - 2 x skytronic (total 2*30V @ 10A :eek: )
Counter - Thurlby something or other (200Mhz)
Counter - Fluke 1953A (broke, needs fixin' :bawling: can you help ?)
Wayne Kerr B424 LCR meter (don't you just love that name :clown: )

Dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Metcal Soldering iron

Metcal irons are worth the money. . .if you get them from eBay. They are great to use and with the instant change tips can handle almost anything. But new they are far too expensive.

A used one can be had with stand for around $100. The tips are expensive new ($30 or so) but they last a very long time. And are often available on eBay.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Irons and Meters

I have checked out Metcal irons on ebay and they look very nice...but very nice and expensive.:(

Whats so special about them.....that power supply looks quite fancy, is it an invertor or something??

As for the previous comments about Fluke Scopemeters, again, lovely, but ooh, the price!!!

my bench has too much stuff

but the things which I use most often are:

Wavetek 180 Sweep Generator
Heath IG18 Audio Generator
Tek 3032B scope
HP Meters-- 3478A and 3468A
Heath IP27 Power Supply
Lambda +/- 15 Volt op amp supply
Fluke 3330B Voltage/Current Calibrator
Genrad 1658 RCL Bridge
HP339 Distortion Analyzer
Tek TM504 with a couple DVM's
Fluke 177 DVM

the only instrument bought new is the Fluke 177.

i use a HAKO soldering station, and a weller 7 watt soldering pencil -- buying a soldering station was a very good move.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The special technology of the Metcal is a variation on the Weller temperature control using the Curie point of the metal to control the temperature of the tip. However unlike the Weller, that has a switch and a magnet, the Metcal uses a high frequency generator to directly heat the tip. Doing this means that the tips are reallly small and heat up instantly. The power supply is much more complex than the more conventional irons and can put as much as 50W into a tiny tip.

On eBay they are usually around $100-$150 for a PS2E supply plus handpiece and stand complete. Don't get the earliest version with one LED on the front, the later ones have 2 LEDs. The newer models work the same but cost more.

Konnichiwa,

I used to have pretty decent stuff, it all went one way or the other, fairly recently my 50MHz 2 Channel Philips Valve 'scope died and other stuff went. So I had a good hard look what I felt I really needed to diagnose and verify that things worked as intended and got it. I first looked at the 2nd hand "serious" market and then decided to go the other way.

Here is my "lab":

Weller magnetic Tempco Soldering Iron (Had several over the time, always lost6/sold them, never broke one, other irons go like shirts)

Good quality all metal PTFE Tip Soldah Suckah

Velleman Digital Pocket 'scope (good enough for 95% of things, for really hard cases I can always borrow something), unfancy but quite effective if you understand what it can do and what not

No Name Pocket Function Generator (Sine, Square, Triangle)
No-Name RLC Meter
No-Name Multimeter

Also a PC with a 24/96 Soundcard with around 100db effective dynamic range and suitable software (Wavelab) as additional Scope, Analyser and Generator up to around 30-40KHz

I find that this covers most things that are not extreme RF or wideband noise. For PSU Line Noise I use a simple add-on that is a low noise wideband amp and single fast rectifier. It allows a reasonable quantification of what happens high up. Usually good enough.

The whole set can probably be assembled for <, $ 1,000 if you shop around.

Sayonara

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sound Technology ST1210

I have one and can attest to its excellent performance. They are mechanically complex and a pain to work on. Getting the oscillator stabiliser to work right isn't easy or obvious but when sorted they work well. The difference from the ST1200 is the higher output and the precision step attenuator. The basic oscillator and notch filter circuit is common to all of them.

For what its worth I have distortion analyzers from 6 different companies.
-Demian

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Here is my "lab":
Velleman Digital Pocket 'scope (good enough for 95% of things, for really hard cases I can always borrow something), unfancy but quite effective if you understand what it can do and what not

Hi Kuei,
do you mean the single channel handheld scope or the portable (but NOT handheld) two channels one?
Regards.

Marco

On my bench at work...

Fluke 179 meter
Tektronix TDS3032 scope
Audio Precision SYS-2522
HP 35670A dynamic signal analyzer
all sorts of AM/FM demodulation equipment
numerous lab power supplies, loads, etc...
and a Hakko 936 iron.

At home? a Hakko 936 iron and an ancient DMM.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
KH Filters

I have several. They are very useful and accurate. The distortion isn't ultra low but still not an issue and noise isn't bad. Some, like the one pictured, have batteries in them. I need to replace the batteries in two of mine but they don't see that much use.

Getting a handful and "tweaking" them may be an option for a multiamped system. The circuits are all discrete and pretty good out of the box. I'm not sure what the distortion mechanism is, may be a consequence of the filter itself.
-Demian

Test equipment.

Hi all, I had the fortune of being in the used test equipment business for many years. I had one of the most elaborate benches ever seen. Even had a Solotron 1250 vector analyzer. Several Tek scopes up to 400MHZ. Built all of my own power supplies including 10-16 volt d.c. at 0-120amp continuous. 2.5 kw variac with full Simpson metering. A really neat patch panel for four discrete channels of audio with 8,4,2, ohm 1200 watt loads. Still have a Nakamichi T100 for tape machines. I saw what was going on in the used test equipment market about ten years ago. I sold the Solotron for more money than it cost me to get a good P.C, a National Instuments Multifunction board, and the Labview software to go with it. This can be had cheap on Ebay now. With the exception of the high power stuff. all the other equipment was sold and I now use the p.c. for all my work.
There is a lot of competition for NI now and cards like mine are now less than $400 new! I highly recommend looking at the new generation of p.c. based instruments. Best regards, Steve:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.