What Test Equipment Do You Have On Your Bench??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I'm new around here-Hello
:) :) :)
I'm in the process of setting up a new proper workspace, and I was wondering what test gear you Guys have on your Bench?????
Meters>Digital and/or Analog? Anyone still use a VTVM?
Scopes?
Function Generators?
Power Supplys?
Distortion Analyzers?
Spectrum Analyzer (anyone???)

I would like to get a high impedance analog meter, don't want a VTVM, to much mucking around.
Any recommendations???

I have heard somewhere that Unigor analog meters are good??

Sorry, i´m not the one with 30 years experience and 100k€ in equipment, what i have:

PC, can do some spectrum analyzing and THD measurement etc. in Audio frequency.

A Pic programmer (diy), Jtag adapter, TI

A bench power supply from the 1960s, heavy and germanium

a DMM, Metex ~ 100€

A cheap soldering station ersa (need a better one)

a CD player

a Signal Generator using 2* XR-2206, diy (look for tan-005.pdf)

A Tek 7904 with 2* 7A16A, 7A16, 7B80
A Tek 7313 with 7A18, 7A12 and 7B53A

A UB802 with measurement mic ECM8000

loads of little boxes with thousands of small parts..

what i would like to have :
a better soldering station
a 7A22, 7D15, 7D13
additional bench power supply

Mine has a Weller soldering station, a low voltage (0-25 v.d.c.) tracking power supply, a high voltage (0-400 v.d.c.) power supply,
Fluke Multimeter, Sound Technology audio generator and stereo analyzer, Tektronix model 492 spectrum analyzer and most importantly:
A DVD player, an HH Scott model 299C amplifier, Advent Loudspeakers and JBL subwoofer.

Very basic stuff. I'd like to have some of that fancy equipment, but I get by reasonably well with a 100MHz analog scope, an old Simpson 260 VOM, Fluke DVM, a home-made HV probe, HP 200A sine generator, a cheap chip function generator, software-based pulse/toneburst generator, software-based spectrum analyzer, various power supplies, and a million clip-leads. My only luxury is a HP waveform analyzer, but that's not mine, it's on loan from John Curl.

For speaker work, all the above plus Speaker Workshop with a Jig II, and a modified Panasonic electret mike. I used IMP for many years, but I've finally retired it

Outside of the HP waveform analyzer, my total investment is less than a pair of medium grade (by audiophile standards) speaker cables.

Leader 8063 60Mhz Dual Trace Scope
H-P 204C Oscillator
H-P 3310B Function Generator
(2) H-P 400EL ACMillivoltmeters
H-P 334A Harmonic Distortion Analyzer
Leader LMV89 Dual Channel ACMillivoltmeter
H-P 4260 LCR Bridge
BK 1650 Dual Tracking Power Supply
Exact 124 Function Generator;sweepable/burstable
VOM
BK Digital Capacitance Meter
BK 162 Transistor & FET tester
Calculator
Variac
Prototyping Boards
Pana-Vise
250W, Non-Inductive Test Loads
1 Pair Monitor Speakers
Many bins/drawers of parts & tools
Computer

- DMM Velleman DVM68 (with crappy fuses thatblow all the time, and you have to dismount everything to change them :mad: )
- Tektronix 2232 2*100MHz scope
- basic function generator
- Ersa MS6000 soldering station

For those who use computer based softwares, can you specifi which ones?

Tek 475 scope
B&K Precision 3026 5MHz function generator
2 x RadioShank DMMs
Eico 377 signal generator (not used in lieu of the B&K :) )
Heathkit VTVM (also laying around, but I have messed with some things that it could measure which the DMM's can't)
+/- 14-18V 2-4A bench power supply (18V open circuit, 14V under full load; 4A available on one polarity if other is unloaded; 2A both under load; 36V + to - output.)
That's really about it, besides the breadboards and spare parts.

Tim

SY said:
I used IMP for many years, but I've finally retired it

Why did you retire the IMP? I bought the last one available, and never regretted it. I have SoundEasy (anything but!) but I love my IMP/M ( has the MLS option). I run it off an old 486 laptop. Now if only I could get Xopt to work with the files, I'd be happy. I just don't need the power or complexity of SE, a basic crossover optimizer like Xopt would be really cool.

RonS

SY said:

Convenience and MLS capability. My IMP was the original impulse-only model.

Yes, I couldn't live without the MLS capability (well, I could but it's sure darn useful!)

If by convenience you mean not needing an external "black box" there is something to be said for that. But the ability to use mic calibration files and also to calibrate out the driving amplifier is very useful.

RonS

I do not have the latest stuff but it get me by.

Tek 475A Scope and a old Tek 935 Scope.
Various Tek scope probes.
Tek TM series function generator and counter
Lambda dual variable +/20 volt and HP 0-50 volt power supplies
HP 331A very old distortion analyzer
HP 8903A Audio Analyzer
MLSSA
BK microphone and preamp
Simpson Meters
Tek DMM
Variac 2kw
Leap and BassBox
Lott's of junk various load resistors
B&K transistor in circuit tester very old but handy

SY said:

Yes, absolutely, but I don't have the former capability in my version (and it's no longer supported by Liberty). I got 5 or 6 complete designs out of this system, so it retired with an Honorable Discharge.

I don't know if there was a hardware change, the MLS board was a daughterboard add on. Liberty still has the latest software available on their web site. Not trying to convince you to use it or anything, but even without MLS capability, if you set it to repeat the measurements something like 15 times, you can reduce the environmental noise greatly.

Bill Waslo will still answer any questions you might have about the product, he's really cool that way. Also JohnK over on Madisound uses it and knows the unit inside out.

RonS

I have a Fluke 123 Scopemeter and a Hakko FM203 soldering station.

I really recommend both of these.

The Fluke will measure a serious amount of variable inputs and it can be interconnected with your PC. From there, you can perform much more complex work, like harmonic distortion analysis and such. This interconnectivity also allows you to call in at Fluke's site and download the latest firmware for the scope. I thought it was a excellent idea! Fluke are very helpful and the staff obviously know what they're talking about.

The Hakko iron is great. I can't find anything wrong with it. It's small, it's very light, precise and very stable. It takes seconds for it to go from cold to the correct temperature and the tips just click into place.

The station has a logic gate on it's front. When you change tips you push the next tip into the gate. The station reads the tip's ID and adjusts the station to match the tip in use. Of coarse, a very precise conical tip does not distributed heat in the same manner as a half inch flat tip.

Everything you need comes in the box, a definite plus.

Also... they use a very cleaver solder 'sponge' idea which works really well.

Rather than using a wet piece of sponge, the stand has a brass mesh inside a container on it. You just stab the iron into the mesh and it comes out sparkling.

[John's tip of the day]

You could easily make you own if you've already got a station. When you're out shopping, look for brass pan scrubbers in the detergents isle. If you pack one or two of these into a glass tumbler, it should work fine. I'd avoid the stainless steel ones though because I think very may scratch the tip a lot more, since Hakko didn't use a stainless mesh.

Just quickly poke your iron's tip into the mesh a few time and it should come out cleaner than ever. You don't need to wet the mesh. When the mesh starts clogging up, take it out and give it a shake over a bin. Turn it around, push it back into the tumbler and it's ready to kick *** again! :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Test Equipment

I always thought that the Fluke Scopemeters were very expensive, do you really get value for money and are those extra functions really that useful?

I did used to own a Fluke 867 Graphic Multimeter, but sold it on ebay a few years ago as it was rather slow.

When I need a scope I use my Tek.

However I do own a Fluke 187 which is fab!
V good for audio measurements.

I have heard that those Tek DMMs which became the Fluke 183 and 185 are good, does anyone own one?

BTW, below is a source that would be good as a FAQ for multimeters.

http://www.logwell.com/tech/oscilloscopes/meters.html

Test gear for servicing Tape recorder s

Wonder what test equipment do others use for servicing/ aligning reel-to-reel tape recorders?

All I have is a

Production Devices Model 125 Audio Sweep Generator
Hitachi V-423 40 NHz dual trace 'scope.
Fluke 8050A Digital Multimeter - w/DB scales etc.
General Radio 1346 Audio-Frequency Microvolter:cheerful:

Test Equipment Post #15

I always thought that the Fluke Scopemeters were very expensive, do you really get value for money and are those extra functions really that useful?

I did used to own a Fluke 867 Graphic Multimeter, but sold it on ebay a few years ago as it was rather slow.

When I need a scope I use my Tek.

However I do own a Fluke 187 which is fab!
V good for audio measurements.

I have heard that those Tek DMMs which became the Fluke 183 and 185 are good, does anyone own one?

BTW, below is a source that would be good as a FAQ for multimeters.

http://www.logwell.com/tech/oscilloscopes/meters.html

New in the box they're quite expensive, but you can usually pick up a 123 for around $400 - 500 second hand.

I'd say they're definitly worth it! Perhaps they don't provide the perfectly smooth curve of an analog scope, but it's easily a usable display.

It's very easy to use and you can switch from macro to micro measurements by just pressing a few buttons. In fact, if you set the scope to auto, it'll track it's input and adjust it's self to display it as best as possible.

The extra options are great. Some of them are a bit remote, but they're always there if you need them.

It's a very solid and weighty piece of gear for it's size. In the modern world we're in, you'd expect it to be made from cheap plastic and have nothing inside it. Where as it's protected with thick rubberised plastic and it's subtantial feeling. You can actually hear the relays clicking as you change modes.

It's a really all round instrument. Along side an instrument specifically designed for taking that one particular measurement, it probably won't be as perfect. But you have to be honest with yourself and ask, well, how often am I actually going to need such & such an instrument for X number of thousand of pounds?

The 190 series is perhaps pushing it a bit for a piece of DIY gear. Even second hand they will be over $1000.

For home electronics stuff, the 123 is great!

If you can find the money, I'd really recommend it!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have much more test equipment than really needed buy almost anyone but the following have proved very useful for both professional and personal work:
1) Scope- I use a Tek 7854 and really like it but a 7603 with a 7A18 and 7A22 and a timebase would be fine. Get the HP probes 100XX because they are small. I have a Tek THS720 but its less useful for Audio work that I would have thought.
2) Meter I have both a Fluke 8860A and an 8810A. Either is great as is the Fluke 8800. The 8800 and 8810 can be had cheap on eBay and they are 5 1/2 digit meters, more resolutiuon than you can use. The AC is good to 100 KHz at 5 1/2 digits (.01 db or so) For extended AC the HP 400 series are good and cheap but the Fluke 892X are the better value. And the best portible I have found is the Fluke 8060A
3) Function Generator- Get a Krohn-Hite. They are flatter than most calibrators and more versatile than most generators. The Waveteks have dissapointed me.
4) Audio Analyzer - I use a Boonton 1120, another special value when you can find one. I also have Sound Technologies that work well but are more mechanially fragile.
5) Metcal soldering iron. Its almost impossilbe to go to any other type after using one.
All of the above can be had from eBay with patience.
The full list of stuff is enormous but a lot is very specialized and very expensive to replace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.