What solder do you guys use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
Flux remover (like Electrowash 2000) or lacquer thinner. They both work very well. I use a tooth brush or cotton swab.

-Chris

poobah said:
Brake cleaner from an auto parts store works very well and it is cheap.

Something you want to do outside though... causes cancer in California I'm sure.

It will destroy acrylics... but these aren't used in electronics...

Never used it with polystyrenes though... those things are soooo tender.

It causes cancer everywhere actually. I get the joke, but actually it is no joke. Most solvents are very dangerous to your health, whether by inhaling fumes or by absorption through skin.

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol with a stiff-bristle nylon brush and Q-tips. Don't use the 70% or 90% stuff, get 99% or higher; it really does make a difference. You can get a pint of 99% at a drugstore/pharmacy for about $3. It is cheap, very effective, and safe(r). Just don't drink it. And don't forget that unlike some artificial solvents, this stuff is violently flammable. I have an expensive can of MG Chemicals flux remover spray, but the 99% isopropanol is just as effective so I use it.

macboy said:
I use 99% isopropyl alcohol with a stiff-bristle nylon brush and Q-tips. Don't use the 70% or 90% stuff, get 99% or higher; it really does make a difference. You can get a pint of 99% at a drugstore/pharmacy .....

Also for those who don't already know, no rubbing alcohol! It contains skin-friendly, electronics-unfriendly additives.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.