What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Under current understanding of the cosmos the prime directive is the invariance of the speed of light (C) which is the underlying foundation of all of special and general relativity.
Prof. Brian Cox says that, from the space-time perspective, c was introduced so we could define how to compute distances in the time direction. As such, it is ingrained in the very fabric of spacetime.

He also says that rather than say that " the speed of light is a universal constant" we should say that "the speed of massless particles is a universal constant".

He says this because there is no fundamental reason in particle physics to suppose that a photon of light is a massless particle.

The possibility of photons having a non-zero rest mass is discussed in this paper http://web.ihep.su/library/pubs/tconf05/ps/c4-2.pdf, but don't ask me to explain it!

Prof. Brian Cox says that, from the space-time perspective, c was introduced so we could define how to compute distances in the time direction. As such, it is ingrained in the very fabric of spacetime.

The speed of light was a point of speculation historically and measured by many of it's own interest, most notably by Michelson and Morely. It was the apparent invariance of the speed of light regardless of the proper motion of the observer that lead Einstein to his thought experiments that revealed special and general relativity. It is intrinsic to spacetime and perhaps the most fundamental of constants, although Heisenberg might disagree!

It's fascinating to read that everything (me, you and a dog named Boo) is travelling through spacetime at a speed c!

A moving clock runs slow because it uses up some of its quota of spacetime speed by moving through space, thus leaving less for its motion through time.

In other words, a moving clock doesn't move as quickly through time as a stationary companion. The stationary clock simply whizzes along in the time direction at the speed c because it has no movement through space. :cool:

Velocity is the time derivative of location or position...no time = no velocity = no C = no cosmos.

This is part of what I was getting at about observer's points of view.
To a photon, we and our universe don't even exist.Relative to itself, a photon is a perfect point in isolation, surrounded by nothing.
Perhaps everything we are and see, is one photon, across innumerable moments, its properties and place determined by the wave function of conscious observation.
We are because we think we are.

This is part of what I was getting at about observer's points of view.
To a photon, we and our universe don't even exist.Relative to itself, a photon is a perfect point in isolation, surrounded by nothing.
Perhaps everything we are and see, is one photon, across innumerable moments, its properties and place determined by the wave function of conscious observation.
We are because we think we are.

There is a large and unfathomable (to me) intellectual leap between a photon's point of view (why would it have one?) and the Universe is one photon. Newton, Hubble, Einstein and Hawking are all dead, so perhaps you could run this by one of Hawking's grad students...it really doesn't make any sense to me.

There is a large and unfathomable (to me) intellectual leap between a photon's point of view (why would it have one?) and the Universe is one photon. Newton, Hubble, Einstein and Hawking are all dead, so perhaps you could run this by one of Hawking's grad students...it really doesn't make any sense to me.

It would have one because it and us are part of the same thing.

So this is what I call "bong hit" physics, not a reasonable extrapolation of our knowledge base or testable in any way...more like a mystical perspective than physics. If it makes sense to you so be it but physics is about theories that provide predictions that can be tested.

Cool. Show me the grand unified theory which works at all levels. I predict you can't.

If it makes sense to you so be it but physics is about theories that provide predictions that can be tested.
It's worth noting that scientists never claim that their current view of the universe is correct. However, with each new level of understanding, a more accurate picture emerges.

Our current knowledge of the universe is simply the collection of theories and hypotheses that have not yet been proved to be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.