What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The net energy of the universe is virtually zero. Matter is thought to have formed in equal amounts of regular matter and antimatter, and then self annihilated down to a very small residue of regular matter, due to a slight asymmetry known to exist in particle reactions. The absolute physical size of elementary particles and atoms is constant and cannot change, since the size results from the properties of their constituents. Excited states are larger, but decay extremely fast. Objects such as neutron stars are indeed small compared to a normal star, but they are extremely dense, being essentially a huge nucleus, and are the closest thing to a black hole that we can see.

So was the Big Bang some fraction of time when the unified universe, composed of matter and anti matter nearly annihilated everything that had just come into existence?
I'm not able to understand a constant increasing expansion of space and time without an accelerant /power source. Could the Big Bang have split space time into time and anti.time? Could our timeline be independent of another, and backwards in relation to some of it?
By that I mean, what if the universe only seems to be accelerating constantly, because we are living in a reversed timeline, and are witnessing it heading towards a Big Crunch, while we stream our lives the other way?

We really don't know anything about the big bang, the accepted theory breaks down mathematically. Shortly afterward,
due to the very high energy levels, there were vast numbers of particles and antiparticles created (which also can be done at lower energies in a particle accelerator). Then they mostly combined by mutual annihilation. General relativity does predict a natural universal expansion (as we see), which requires no external energy source. There have been speculations of a universe /anti-universe creation, though both would see their own time going forward.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did you alla miss my previous post? Universe is "breathing" with a frequency of 180 billon years where a big crunch followed by a big bang occurs. So energy/matter is constant which gives* that the only infinite is the time it has existed and will exist.

*hmmmpf

//

I'm still trying to find words to support the concept that the Big Bang occurred everywhere at once and not just at a single point.

As I mentioned before, the evidence lies in the presence of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR).

The initial flash of light created by the Big Bang in our region of space is still spreading out into distant space. By the same token, light that was created by the Big Bang in distant regions of space is currently travelling towards us. Due to the expansion of the universe this light reaches us, not as visible light, but stretched out in wavelength to become microwave radiation - the CMBR.

So, in whatever direction we look, we see the remnants of the light from the Big Bang. This is evidence that the Big Bang took place everywhere at the same time and not just at a single point in space.

I hope this may be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.