What is Rumble and Punch in Subs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the years I have used many subwoofers for DJ/PA use. Some of them had 'Rumble' and some did not. I have always associated 'rumble' with low end frequency response. Is this true? Or is it Xmax?

There is also another item. What is 'punch'? Some subs you feel the punch and some don't.

Last edited:
Tight, fast, dry and punchy are all terms used to describe a high transient response woofer which often has a low moving mass, a large motoor and a roll off around 40 Hz.

At least that's what I have gathered in my years of playing with speakers.

Rumble as I understand is the same as badman describes.

Subs have rumble, no punch. PA woofers have punch, no rumble

Tight, fast, dry and punchy are all terms used to describe a high transient response woofer which often has a low moving mass, a large motoor and a roll off around 40 Hz.

At least that's what I have gathered in my years of playing with speakers.

Rumble as I understand is the same as badman describes.

Subs have rumble, no punch. PA woofers have punch, no rumble

Is it possible to get both in a DJ Woofer?

What he said.

But you don't really need to go low for DJ stuff unless you are DJing a movie. ;)

Like I said, I had Klipsch LaScallas and they rolled off at 50 hz. I REALLY missed the rumble of other DJ speakers I had used in the past and always wondered what I was missing. There is nothing like a little low end rumble to get people in the mood to dance.

I was left wondering if it was the PA 15" tightly strung woofer not moving enough air or if it just did not go deep enough.

PA woofers alway miss the rumble and I am not sure why?

So, "rumble" is a positive thing in some circles?
Admittedly I'm a bit confused here

I''m of the accurate sound reproduction school and rumble would be unwanted

Have you never "felt" deep bass or walked around the corner and the whole building is shaking? Yeah I agree audiophiles miss a lot.

Two weeks ago I went to a member of our North West Audio Society's house and heard a $800k audiophile stereo. He had dual 15's on each of his speakers and it totally changed the classical music we heard and yes had a bit of rumble on the rock and roll he played at the end. :)

Rumble here means low frequency sound that moves a lot of air. Not the bad "rumble" of a turntable.

Again, I'm into a flat sound and no agumented bass beyond what the program material calls for.
It''s not that I dislike bass as I used to be a rock bass player (long story).

I belive what you might be refering to might be just loud music that woud also include loud and extended bass (to the sub sonic) along with the other frequencies. Bass that you can actually feel because the frequencies extend so low in a quality system.

PA woofers alway miss the rumble and I am not sure why
Perhaps they are made to reproduce a flatter response while DJ speakers are made to reproduce augmeted bass for the party/dancing crowd.

My kind of Rumble: :D
Rumble - Link Wray 45 rpm! - YouTube

Last edited:
There is a reason that PA equipment generally does not go down to the "rumble". In a large venue frequencies below 100Hz decay very slowly and add a droning sound to the music. it's often necessary to notch out standing waves in arenas because the decay is... well lets see... multiply by 3.14159265 + distance between back wall and stage / ceiling height = forever...

Last edited:
There is a reason that PA equipment generally does not go down to the "rumble". In a large venue frequencies below 100Hz decay very slowly and add a droning sound to the music. it's often necessary to notch out standing waves in arenas because the decay is... well lets see... multiply by 3.14159265 + distance between back wall and stage / ceiling height = forever...

That would explain my experience with PA speakers in DJ settings; no rumble.

So I looked at Bill Fitzmarice's designs and wonder if I should use THT's Tuba HT in a DJ setting rather than his Tuba 30's Tuba 30 that all the DJ's talk about? The THT goes lower and will give that rumble I am looking for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.