What is a fullrange loudspeaker (an explanation)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not stewing here:)

Thanks Cal. You do have a way of making me feel better...

Chris, I agree. For me there is a limit to the amount of bass I need to have a musical experience:). And not all rooms can support extended deep bass.
Pano, Rullknufs, and tuxedocivic: well if the single fullrange driver is not subject to a crossover, and the woofer has its own power and bandstop (as in active amplified sub-woofer) and the tweeter uses a bandstop only...and on and on.

Last edited:
Single driver fullrange (definition): "a wideband driver that may or not be assisted by the inclusion of a tweeter or woofer or both (although they need not be) and most often used without a crossover (or a very minimalist one only at the frequency extremes if assisted)."

I made a proposal like this at Audio Circle and was almost banned. I never posted there again!

Bob

Squeak: Quite a similar analogy using a different example than Cal's.
Not at all. Cal's examples were products that are jacks of all trades but master of none, or compromises that leaves no one truly happy.

Fullrange speakers are not that at all.
In many uses they are unequaled.
Just as a bike is unequaled for zipping quickly around in a dense, busy town like Copenhagen or Amsterdam.
Both are examples of principles of frugality, less is more, KISS, iki, Occam's razor etc.

Last edited:
well if the single fullrange driver is not subject to a crossover, and the woofer has its own power and bandstop (as in active amplified sub-woofer) and the tweeter uses a bandstop only...and on and on.

If there are helper drivers, the fullrange driver is subject to an acoustic cross over. Even if there are no passive or electronic filters. On the low end, the box (tuning, sealed box air spring, or lack of a box) high passes, and on the top end, the driver inductance low passes.

It's a 3 way. Not trying to take away from what some people do here. And I "get" it. But in the strictist sense, it's a 3 way.

Not at all. Cal's examples were products that are jacks of all trades but master of none,
Just like a FR driver
or compromises that leaves no one truly happy.
There are many who fit that bill.
Fullrange speakers are not that at all.
Qué?
In many uses they are unequaled.
Just like an All Season tire. You don't want snow tires on a smooth highway and you don't want slicks in the rain. All Season is the best choice for where I drive 10 months of the year.

Just like an All Season tire. You don't want snow tires on a smooth highway and you don't want slicks in the rain. All Season is the best choice for where I drive 10 months of the year.

Maybe so, but it's still not truly great at anything. That's my point.
All technology to some extent is a compromise and a weighing of factors to achieve the best result.
The best fullrange drivers however, used as single drivers, can truly excel at some types of material and/or in some environments/situations, and be merely adequate for others.

So your definition would exclude a bipole of two identical drivers? If so, what would that be? It's not a two-way, and there is no crossover, so...

No it does not. A SINGLE driver covers THE FULL SPECIFIED range. You can use as many of them as wish, but EACH of them covers THE FULL RANGE. It does not mean that it satisfies all possible tastes and definitions of RANGES. It simply means that thee are no division between drivers in frequency ranges that they reproduce.

You can use as many of them as wish

Hi Wavebourn,

Okay, interesting -- so widebander is a better term, because single implies "one only", and fullrange implies "all the frequencies." Wideband just means "broad range of frequencies" and I think it includes all the other definitions. So a "single driver full-range design" would be a particular type of wideband design.

Maybe so, but it's still not truly great at anything. That's my point.
Neither is a FR driver. That's my point. If there was a driver that could cover all the music and do it well, there would be no woofers and tweeters. Not gonna happen.

The best fullrange drivers however, used as single drivers, can truly excel at some types of material and/or in some environments/situations, and be merely adequate for others.
This sounds like a statement I should be making in this discussion. :)

[An all-season tire is] still not truly great at anything.

Neither is a FR driver.

Not true that such drivers cannot be truly great at some things. All drivers have limits so the performance ends up being implementation-dependent.

Random example: the Lowther field-coil. Definitely stunning in a good implementation (e.g., Elevenhorn 3-way horns, or the RMAF OB's with RAAL tweeters and servo subs). Widebanders are no different than woofers, tweeters, compression drivers, electrostatics, etc. -- there are limits to everything, and nothing does -everything- well.

So a 4" driver does move when fed 20hz. And there is output at 20k. Done!

Yes., except your "20Hz" and "20k" do not matter. "Full" in terms of the specified range. It can be any. Like a coat made from a single animal skin. It's size can be any, but it covers the body of the given size. However, if you cover wider range it's problematic to find an animal to cover the "full" range by one skin.

Last edited:
I find full range drivers put the music back in the music. I have a pair of Jordan VTLs using the newer E100 drivers. They manage to do 40Hz to 20kHz and manage to sound great doing it. Plus they don't need alot of space around them, which is a bonus.

I had the opportunity to listen to the Zu Audio Unions at the Sydney Audio and AV show recently. They have a full range driver, but they intentionally cut it off at 12kHz and use a tweeter in a coax configuration to cover 12kHz to 22kHz. There is apparently no crossover to get in the way. I mention the Union, because despite it technically using 2 drivers, I would still consider them to be a full range speaker.

Perhaps it would be better to say that it is a speaker that projects music from a single point?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.