What gain is safe to use for LM3886?

I am in the process of a project converting some speakers to active and will power them with LM3886. The preamp/active crossover is complete but I have too much gain in that stage for the current sensitivity of my LM 3886 implementation which is standard datasheet stuff (gain around 20x). Am I safe to reduce this to 10x or will I encounter stability issues. Thanks. Martin

Reactions: 1 user
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3886.pdf
"LAYOUT, GROUND LOOPS AND STABILITY
The LM3886 is designed to be stable when operated at a closed-loop gain of 10 or greater, but as with any other high-current amplifier, the LM3886 can be made to oscillate under certain conditions. These usually involve printed circuit board layout or output/input coupling. "

The output of the preamp should be attenuated so that the preamp clips soon after the power amp does. Otherwise, you are listening to the preamp noise unnecessarily amplified. It is unwise to push a power amp closed-loop gain down with extra feedback.

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I
No. The relevant search terms are: Loop gain, feedback factor, phase margin. Or see Chapter 8 of Franco. I was told at one point that there's a .pdf version of the third edition of the book floating around on the 'net. Perhaps you can dig it up. It's a pretty straight-forward read.

Tom

I wonder if adding two capacitors to feedback resistors will ensure stability - I simulated few graphs in this post -

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/lm3886-gain-of-5-as-difference-amp.388213/post-7073680

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's actually a trick question. In theory you can use (almost) whatever gain you'd like as long as the closed loop gain is 20 dB at ~800 kHz. Most solve this by having a constant gain of at least 20 dB.

Tom
I’m reading more on stability and discovered that I can use the gain of, say 5x, but only if I implement proper lead/lag compensation . It is shown in data sheet as RC network over the feedback resistor.

Also from the data sheet:

At higher frequencies feedback resistance works with Cf to provide lower AC Gain in conjunction with Rf1 and Ri. A high frequency pole (lowpass roll-off) exists at:

fc = [Rf1 Rf2 (s + 1/Rf2Cf)]/[(Rf1 + Rf2)(s + 1/Cf(Rf1 + Rf2))]

where Rf1 is feedback resistor,
Rf2 and Cf is RC lag compensation network.

Will be fun to play with those values in simulator.

Question is, what does a means in the above formula?

Because of low impedance, the amp remains stable, with 1k it is not.
Try on simulator, you can see how stable it is. The distortion and noise is 7 times lower than with gain of 20, you can check on simulator by comparing the noise.
If you have a working circuit, pass the song Happy Together of the turtles from YouTube, with gain of 20, the refrain will sound dirty but clean with 2.8 as the NFB reaches 40db@20khz.
For the "s" see Laplace transform.

The easiest way to reduce the closed loop gain for the sake of feedback stability without a large gain is a resistor between the + and - inputs, however this may push the common mode range of the inputs beyond their happy voltage. Common mode voltage is a spec that audio amps are not designed for like a general-purpose op-amp. Some older chip amps do not have a LTP input, which is a further complication because the DC voltage at +in and -in are not the same.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
In the meantime, I have simulated my desired gain of 6x and came up with RC values for compensation.

I will need input resistance to be equal or more 3k since I plan on using three LM3886 in parallel - it will give me input resistance of 1k or more.
Right now I am using 4.3k input resistor that should allow for 4.3/3= 1.43K for input impedance.

I am not sure about small value of the compensation capacitor. It is 4.7pF. PCB traces will probably add 1~2pF additional capacitance. Should I try to increase lag cap to 10pF to diminish PCB trace capacitance effect?

Attached are screenshots of TINA-TI simulations.

Attachments

• sch-lag-comp.png
    sch-lag-comp.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ac-resp.png
    ac-resp.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 79
  • square-resp.png
    square-resp.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 60
  • sch-lag-comp-bal.png
    sch-lag-comp-bal.png