What does the crossover do differently when you bi-wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just one amp on most experiments. A little EL84 tube job that I had restored and upgraded a bit. Probably had some global feedback, but I don't really remember. Some later experiments were with solid state and class-d. Definitely feedback there.

Why do you ask?

Just collecting anecdotal data. If bi-wiring does anything at all I'm curious if it's through changes in the noise being corrected in the feedback stages. The feedback circuit is one that is not really independently validated or monitored, so perhaps there is something there. It could explain why zero feedback amps sound so good to some, though technically usually atrocious. :)

Before anyone turns on a flame, I'm not saying there's any such credible evidence. I'm just saying it's an area I'm curious about.

Best,

Erik

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The difference should not be too hard to measure at the speaker terminals, given a good sound card and some software. The problem comes in that if you DO find differences it will be because you used:
  • The wrong cables
  • A faulty amplifier
  • Bad speakers
Of course if you do NOT find any significant differences it will be because you used:
  • The wrong cables
  • A faulty amplifier
  • Bad speakers

My outboard xovers have three separate filters and each filter has a + and - wire going to its driver. That is 6 wires go from the xover into the speaker enclosure and each pair go to the appropriate driver.

However only two wires go from the amp to the pair of binding posts on the outboard xover enclosure. That means, to me, that all the EMF is getting back to the amp as a composite of all three drivers and their filters. I can't imagine how a second or third pair of xover bindings posts, meaning two or three pairs of wires going back to the amp, would change anything.

My outboard xovers have three separate filters and each filter has a + and - wire going to its driver. That is 6 wires go from the xover into the speaker enclosure and each pair go to the appropriate driver.

However only two wires go from the amp to the pair of binding posts on the outboard xover enclosure. That means, to me, that all the EMF is getting back to the amp as a composite of all three drivers and their filters. I can't imagine how a second or third pair of xover bindings posts, meaning two or three pairs of wires going back to the amp, would change anything.

Hi Henry,

It's not a theory I have a lot of investment in. There's a lot of dependencies. I'm just kind of batting the idea around. But some cables have a lot of capacitance. I wonder if bi-wiring doesn't just add capacitance, which could affect the sound, or maybe improves it by reducing EMI/RFI that's picked up. Maybe it makes the sound WORSE by picking up more noise and listeners are awed by it.

I'm not saying anyone should spend a million dollars to make this better. I'm just wondering. For instance, if this was true, maybe a $0.30 ferrite bead or 100 Ohm resistor at the speaker ends should be a common treatment. :)

I have also never heard an improvement from bi-wiring, so I can't defend the position myself. Just looking for unexplored avenues that bi-wiring could make an audible difference. My normal hobby is to look for extra-terrestrials masquerading as human politicians. That's a hobby I think can yield more beneficial results to human kind. :)

Best,

Erik

Just looking for unexplored avenues that bi-wiring could make an audible difference.

The problem with that is people may disagree on the threshold of audibility...

My suggestion is, when you can see differences, however small, assume it is audible...

In the case of bi-wiring, look at it as you look at the star grounding problem. The negative of the speaker is usually connected directly to a certain "zero point" (mostly right between big caps). Some people connect this speaker return to PCB ground for certain reasons. The question is, why we have to separate two branches of current (especially regarding to the HF and LF current in a speaker)...

And may be we have to study the effect of crossover cabling on RFI...

From my days as a designer two thing jump into my mind:
1. when you design -and fine tune- a crossover for a two way system, you either do it in single, or bi-wired mode. However minor the difference will be- and there will be, if you do it right- the two variants will not be the same.
You can optimize your XO for either single, or bi-wired mode, and changing operating mode will change the percieved sound for better or worse. The difference will be subtle -just as in parts values- but easily audible. Tried, tested, listened to, many-many times.

2. If one thing changes with bi-wiring (besides cable resistance of course), is cable capacitance, which doubles in bi-wired mode. This can cause minor changes in certain (ie.: poor) amplifiers phase and fr. response, and might show up as audible difference for some sensitive ears.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
From my days as a designer two thing jump into my mind:
1. when you design -and fine tune- a crossover for a two way system, you either do it in single, or bi-wired mode.
True. However that will be completely swamped by moving the speaker to another room. The change in acoustics will have a far, far larger effect than single or bi-wire.

Would using different awg wires, to the LF and MF/HF, with different capacitance
and impedance characteristics, make an improvement in coping with EMF back to
the amp?

The place where you deal with potential back EMF is the output stage of the amp.
You put there suppression diodes so if any back EMF comes here, the diodes route
it right to the power supply and it doesn't compromise amp performance.

The place where you deal with potential back EMF is the output stage of the amp.
You put there suppression diodes so if any back EMF comes here, the diodes route
it right to the power supply and it doesn't compromise amp performance.
The diodes (output to supply rails) you describe do not suppress the back emf.
They are there to limit the maximum back emf voltage to a level that does not damage the output stage of the amplifier.

All the lower level back emf is still there and none of this lower voltage back emf gets diverted to the power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.