What does the average DIYer listen to these days?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again and greetings from Vienna!
(I will be playing at the Treibhaus in Innsbruck in May. Come on down! I havn't played in Munich for a couple of years. Last time was in the Völkerkunde Museum. Maybe we can make it up there at that time.)
Sitar: Nikhil Banerjee (my first teacher), early Vilayat Khan
Sarod: Ali Akbar Khan (my second teacher)
Flute: Hariprasad Chaurasia
Saranghi: Sultan Khan
Vocal: Bimsen Joshi, Ameer Khan, Ajay Chakraborty, Rajan&Sajan Mishra
Tabla, Swapan Choudhury, Anindo Chatterjee, Zakir etc etc....
Check out Chaanda Dhara records in Stutgart. They have a lot of nice recordings, especially of N.B.
If you find something and are not sure about it, send me a mail before you buy it. There is a lot of crap out there. Just because it is Indian don't mean it is good!
Dan

Music is the best!!!!

After reading through this thread I've found out that music is the best.

Just now I'm listening to an old album: 2Unlimited's "Real Things"

Easy listening is what I would call this.

In my younger years( now I'm 25 ) I listened to Europe, Bon Jovi, Brian Adams and a norwegian rock band called TNT. (at age 10-13)

Later on I discovered my mother's casette with Modern Talking and Bee Gee's. (age 11-14)

When I reached teenage i also found out that Metallica had some great guitar sessions on their albums. At the same time Jarre and his Oxygen treated my ears nice.

Now iI listen to Techno, Trance, Rave, Pop, Soul, Rap, Hip hop, Country....... the list goes on.

What I'm trying to say is that music is great as long as you like it.
Don't step on somebody's foot because they don't listen to the music you are listening to.

Regards, Sondre :)

nice to see quite a selection

Sweet! I was expecting to be the only one here who likes the heavy stuff. No offense guys(and gals, if any of you are out there) but I was expecting everyone here to be listening to post-modern-psuedo-jazz-fusion (???...or something wierd). It's nice to see there's other people who like the bang, crunch and tearing sound of an abused guitar. I'm glad to see there is such diversity here...

Also, someone mentioned their narrowing musical tastes...
Don't worry, as long as you are still excited about your music, then there's no problem, even if you've heard it a thousand times before.... enjoy your tunes, everyone.

HI Dan,

copied your list onto my harddisk as soon as I found it.
Thanxalot!
this thread gives me the feeling we should pester Jason not only for a vinyl but also for a music forum and although selfish me is terribly after that vinyl thing, methinks a music forum would be even more important.

Originally posted by Dan Licks

Hi again and greetings from Vienna!

(I will be playing at the Treibhaus in Innsbruck in May. Come on down! I havn't played in Munich for a couple of years. Last time was in the Völkerkunde Museum. Maybe we can make it up there at that time.)

Tell me when, I probably will make it. BTW, in Munich are not many classical Indian concerts. Maybe you should give it a try to play over here :)

If you find something and are not sure about it, send me a mail before you buy it. There is a lot of crap out there. Just because it is Indian don't mean it is good!

Will do, start right now. What do you think of Krishna Bhatt? I like his sweet and subtle play very much.

I like most music styles, but most prominent would be metal, altrenative (more the harder stuff), psy/goa trance, electronic stuff like crystal method, chemical brothers etc, drum'n'bass/jungle, jazz, blues rock like stevie ray vaughan, new age stuff like mike oldfield, bit of hip hop like deckwrecka feat rosita lynch - who's that girl

favourite track at the moment would be
a guy called gerald feat. louise rhodes - humanity

btw i forgot who said deftones
but deftones f**kin rock :)

Seangoesbonk and all,

I was expecting to be the only one here who likes the heavy stuff. No offense guys(and gals, if any of you are out there) but I was expecting everyone here to be listening to post-modern-psuedo-jazz-fusion (???...or something wierd). It's nice to see there's other people who like the bang, crunch and tearing sound of an abused guitar. I'm glad to see there is such diversity here...

well, although i am usally heavily into composed music and Jazz and no Rock or Fusion fan at all, there are some musicians abusing their instruments in a very eciting way. There are 2 rock guitarist i like very much and i usually buy the record, should i spot their names on it. One is Steve Vai, the other one is Joe Satriani. Gosh, they can play, and they do not spool off their fancy licks in a nonsense order, they use their virtuosity to tell tales!
Impresssssed ! :)

Abused organ, Fusion: recently fellow Munich Triode Mafia member vinylsavor rubbed my nose into MMW. Thanxalot, Thomas!
John Medeski, organ and keyboards, Billy Martin, perc., Chris Wood, all sorts of basses. Guess this sort of stuff is called Acid Jazz. I was not aware white musicians can develop such a Blues feeling (usually i'm a racist: Jazz has to be played by black musicians and any white man able and proven to play real jazz suffers from a -- harmless :) -- genetical defect, wrong skin colour). Those 3 MMW guys have this genetical defect for sure! What a complex, groovy, foot-tappping fingers-snipping making-me-dance music! Currently i have the "uninvisible" on CD and it excited me so much that i started seeking for more stuff on vinyl at once. Folks, don't bid on MMW vinyl on ebay at the moment, could turn out quite frustrating for you :)

Here's a sample off the top of my head:

Tool, top notch musicians, no, incredible
Kyuss
Frank Zappa
Dave Holland
MMW
Jonatha Brooke and the Story
Default, suprised that others mention them, solid, catchy band
NIN
Jean Luc Ponty, Imaginary Voyage, my favorite album from his catalog
Counting Crows
Alice in Chains
Arne Domnerus
Bela Fleck
Slayer, still keeping it real
Greatful Dead
Pharcyde
Beastie Boys
DMX
Wu-Tang Clan, including all solo albums
ODB, see above
COC
Brad
Satchel
Soundgarden
Gov't Mule
Allman Bros.
Led Zep, of course
Pink Floyd
Nixons
Max Roach
Jack Dejonette
Tommy Flanagan, he has some chops
Tony Levin
Terry Bozzio

Well that's it for now, I have about 1200 CDs and 300 albums, that's just a small sample.

Digi

SteveG said:

Aha! We have another drummer here? :D

Nope, I can't play drums, but I am a huge fan, does that count for anything? I have always wanted too...

I played the clarinet and piano for several years, and now I can't play a single note, well maybe one, but after that it's cacophony. I still know music theory though, I use it to compose music on my computer. I also mix my friend's bands from time to time, drummers and bassist's always dig my mixes :)

Digi

JoeBob said:
Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style or rock music.

And I also liten to Ska and punk/ska, I too doubt there are many that share my taste of music here, oh well ;)...

When the word punk comes out it's usually bands like: Clash, Damned, Ramones, Stranglers, UK Subs, Vibrators, Sham 69, Angelic Upstarts, Lurkers, Saints, Adverts, Buzzcocks, 999, Exploited, Subhumans, Specials, Killing Joke, Siouxsie, Cockney Rejects, Discharge.
Finding out Dead Kennedys was probably turning point and then I started listening to Fall, Bauhaus, Cramps, Talking Heads, Birthday Party, Nick Cave, Joy Division, Bollock Brothers, PIL.
I had a short affair with Pavement, Ride, Smashing Pumpkins, Crankberries, Soundgarden, Nirvana and alike but soon found them boring. So I turned to Ministry, Revolting *****, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls. At that time I was also deep into Current 93, Legendary Pink Dots, Split Second, Muslimgauze, Fad Gadget, New Model Army, Delerium and Front Line Assembly.
End of 90's belonged to Front 242, Klinik, Laibach, Project Pitchfork, Sleep Chamber, Einstrzende Neubauten, KMFDM, X-Marks the Pedwalk.
Recently I'm listening to Apoptygma Berzerk from Norway (album "7" is my all time favourite), VNV Nation, Cobalt 60, Wolfsheim (highly recommended), C-Tech, Wumpscut, Dust of Basement, Inscape (more and more of that type music comes from Germany nowadays, I even got used to whole albums in German), Die Form, Assemblage 23, Funkergot, Covenant (not bad for Swedish band), Cruxshadows.
Started also to explore House, Trance etc. My favourites in that genre is Deep Dish and Paul Oakenfold. For more adventurous I recommend Scooter and Faithless.

So that's my music and that's my life. I can listen to the same stuff I listened 20 years ago and not get bored like I'm getting with current rock and so called punk. For further recommendations don't hesitate to e-mail me.;)
Beside the above I probably tried most of everything else and some of my favourtes are Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Enya, Loreena Mc Kennit, Johnny Cash. Never liked classical and Jazz makes ma asleep. World music; I like Krishna Das and Rasa.
And I'm constantly broadening my tastes.:)

vdi_nenna said:
Dave Mathews Band

Phillies own- G-Love and the Special Sauce!

I'd like to get some Beatles and Pink Floyd stuff..it's one of those things...it's just not going anywhere.

Vince

I noticed that you are from King of Prussia, I am from that area too. Upper Darby to be exact. I was just in the Philly area two weeks ago to visit, I spent a good amount of time in Swedeland, just down the block from you.

Digi

There appears to be great diversity around here, and I could imagine that this diversity is quite extensible within the context of this post. Currently in or near my CD player:

Bands:
1 - Tool - You cannot pigeonhole this band in any genre (the closest maybe Prog-metal), there is musicianship and dedication to craft here, and in a time of musical sell-outs they stood their ground. How many other bands can produce 7-9 minute songs and still get primetime airplay? I highly recommend there latest album Lateralus. It is an excellent recording, as are all but their first album, which can easily test the dynamics of any system.

2 - Frank Zappa - Need I say more? Yes...

Solo Artists:

1 - Vinnie Colaiuta - Anybody that played with FZ is a true musician in there own right.

2 - Bill Bruford

My musical tastes run the gamut except for pop, pop-country, and rap. Bands listened to recently:

Deftones, Coalchamber, Korn, Metallica
Led Zepplin, Yes, Black Sabbath, Cream, Jimi Hendirx Experience
Karizma, Spyro Gyra
Some other Blues and Jazz

Not really hip on the Jazz. I like more of the Fusion feel.

I also think that an additional forum for reccomended recordings could be of great use.

Later,

Hey Dice45

you wrote:I was not aware white musicians can develop such a Blues feeling (usually i'm a racist: Jazz has to be played by black musicians and any white man able and proven to play real jazz suffers from a -- harmless -- genetical defect, wrong skin colour).

Blues ain't a skin color - its a state of mind. While I won't disagree there have been a great number of posers out there, I have had the great opportunity to hear many of the greats over the years, in juke joints in the 5th ward of Houston (guess who that player was?) to out of the way bars in Holly Springs MS. One of the things I like most about the blues is that no one really cares what color your skin is - Unlike say Country and Western, which for years has refused to acknowledge anything outside of "their" way. But when Willie Nelson wrote "Night Life" it was a blues tune - Just took BB King for it to get played the right way.

I guess I love Texas Music as a genre too. Its an amazing mix of everything from Blues, Gospel, C&W, R&R, R&B, Tex-Mex, Cajun, German and Eastern Europe (up in the hill country, folks have spoken German at home for generations, still), Polkas, Waltzs, and dozens of others. See the SXSW.org site for what a music festivle is - over 1000 bands from all over, playing just about everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.