What does the average DIYer listen to these days?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just about everything

I listen to just about everything except most rap and most country. (Although some good bluegrass and fiddle music is good, just can't stand 'pop' country)

My CD collection ranges from ELP (my personal favorite group) and Jethro Tull to Bare Naked Ladies and Smash Mouth to Indigo Girls (and local equivalents like Annie DeChant) to Acoustic Alchemy to George Thorogood (One of the most fun live performers around) to The Cleveland Orchestra over to Matrix Soundtrack, and techno.

When I look for music, I don't look for something that's going to sound good on my stereo, I look for stuff that has either 'fun' music (B52's fall heavily into here) to something that is relaxing or soothing. (Acoustic Alchemy, Synergy, Jean Michel Jarre, etc)

I don't want anyone to forget about the musical stylings of the Flaming Lips. A good system playing the Lips will create a "wall of guitar" that one could hang a painting on.
If you have more than one system in your house you must try Zaireeka. Its a 4 CD set that should be played simultaneously. The sixth track tests the lowest of the lows (insert says 10-14hz) to the piercing highs (14-17 Khz). So consuming that the insert warns not to listen to track 6 while driving. "May cause nausea, disorientation, temporary loss of vision..."
Invite some buddies over and make an evening of it.

I just paid some insane money ($160) for the Charley Patton box set, but it was worth every nickle. So what the recordings were made in the late 20's and 30's. The music is still there, the soul of it still lives, 80 years later. It is where almost all of modern music roots lie.

And that is the kind of music I listen to.. stuff I can still find the roots. Country? Yep, but forget that pop crap being pushed out of Nashville. Willie points out that they were writing blues songs before white men could sing them - so they hid them. Old R&B.

So its a lot of blues for me, but it is also a bunch of everything. If it moves me, I will buy it.

why do i feel somewhat of a minority when it comes to musical tastes among the DIYers, the common taste is jazz, vocal, and a fair bit of "older" music. Im sure no one here went to the Up In Smoke Tour, Ozzfest, or in Aus the Big Day Out. Oh well, i only hope that the music i listen to can take advantage of some high quality kit.

If it helps you, I prefer Deftones, Incubus, Bitzkit and such although I can listen other type of music as well. My taste is quite selective actually, mostly the song just has to strike the first time me to like it. I don't "warm up" for songs too much...
Incubus Science and Deftones Adrealine are albums that strikes as a whole.

griff: I went to Big Day Out last year. I'm actually a bit surprised by this thread, I was expecting more classical and jazz people. Or maybe they're all just keeping quiet in their little secret society or something.

Right now I'm listening to Alex Lloyd - Watching Angels Mend. Generally I like mellowish guitar stuff - there are quite a few Red Hot Chili Peppers tracks that I like a lot (and a lot that I can't stand, too). Anything I can sing along to well is a bonus (again, Chili Peppers). Incubus gets quite a bit of playtime.

I also like quite a bit of dance/trance/electronica; Crystal Method - Tweekend is one of my recent acquisitions, and just about anything by Hybrid goes down well. Older stuff by Garbage is good (anything pre-Beautifulgarbage) - it's wonderfully complex.

Tool generally annoys me, but when I'm in the right mood for it, it's great. There are a few tracks off the A Perfect Circle CD which are fantastic, too.

I used to listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit quite a bit too, but since I met my girlfriend I just don't seem to enjoy it at all. Go figure.

hahaha, the bizkit thing is common, dont worry about it. u need some tunes be Default, get these tracks, Deny, Wasting My Time, Live a Lie. You wont hear of this band in aus for a while but jump on audiogalaxy and get them. If u like them i have more similar tunes up my sleeve.

Well, if we're into naming names and reccomending things... If you want to hear what punk rock (real punk, none of this comercial crap) sounds like, go get some Operation Ivy, Big Wig, Rancid, Slapstick, Ten Foot Pole, Guttermouth (older stuff, like lipstick, or lucky the donkey), Satanic Surfers, Against All Authority, 88 Fingers Louie, Pridebowl, Anti-Flag, Propagandhi, Good Riddance, Hi-Standard, Madcap, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes, Nicotine, or Zero Down to name a few... But mind you, some of that sounds as though it was recorded on $50 worth of equipment, but that's the price of not selling out and making music for the music.

But something that more people would probably like would be Catch 22, they've got a sound of their own, almost SKA, but not quite. Go download "On&On&On", "Dear Sergio" and "Sick And Sad". It's hard not to like...

Smashing Pumpkins!!!! the Grado headphones I have made me listen in a toaly new way.. suddely I could hear guitar parts the I never heard before,
be also piano concerts, Bird, coleman, kind of blue of Miles... nice too through the grado's, you can hear every drum stick hit the drums, every pluck on the Bass...

greetings,
thijs

Originally posted by griff

I think that you should broaden your horizons a bit before you become disillusioned with your sudden lack of musical appreciation.

Griff,

do you think this sort of remark is easy to swallow? Although I am not the adressee, I feel my cheeks burn reading this. :(

I too have a very narrow selection as far as my preferred music is concerned, just, it is coming from the fact I am extremely picky with performances of a given opus .....
and I do not think this is a question of narrow horizon, rather the opposite.

Could it be that subwo has a wide horizon in fact but is over-the-@ sensitive to a good balance of different qualities (also spiritual ones) in the music he prefers? And has a clear distinction between good and bad quality? I would understand him this way.

:) But to your question, I like music from Gregorian Chant to 20th century music with a clear preference for William Byrd, J.S.Bach and Beethoven and a very narrow selection of W.A.Mozart due to lack of good performances. I have a hole in the soul where Romantics should be located and I cherish Arnold Schoenberg's and Anton Webern's music for its tautness and lack of redundance, Webern being extreme in this. I usually stick to one particular performance, performance makes or breaks it, IMO, if the music is unpleasant, TME it is the bad performance, not the opus or the composer in general.

I also like Jazz very much, from all periods, but again selection is very narrow AFA Swing and Jazz-Rock/Fusion is concerned. And I must say, musicians like Bix Beiderbecke, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Charlie Christian, Charlie Parker, Thelonoius Monk, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor spoil me for the 2nd row, for the majority of very good Jazz musicians. It usually needs a buddy pestering me to spin it.

Same with Rock music, Jimi Hendrix spoils me for the rest :)

I also like overtone music of any kind. I know very few about music from Japan, China, Arabia, India but in the way subwo describes it, I have clear preferences for particular performances and the spirit emerging from them. I would like to recommend Katsuya Yokoyama (shakuhachi), Ravi Shankar and Krishna Bhatt (sitar), Ali Akbar Khan (sarod), Zair Hussain (tabla) and the oud player Anouar Brahem from Morocco.

Anyone out there with a hint for me for an outstanding Sufi musician (playing shenai or whatever)?

I'm afraid, music is the reason why i get so few projects finished :) spend too much time listening to music.

I think that you should broaden your horizons a bit before you become disillusioned with your sudden lack of musical appreciation.

No offence intented, i just feel that you are missing out on so much potential, i bet there is a thousands of bands that you would enjoy its just you have been turned off by their name, genre, etc. Come on, we could all use that lesson.

Been offline for a while but I suppose I'll weigh into this one...

One of my best test discs for system transparency and speed would be Psalm 69 by Ministry. The only Metallica I've truly enjoyed was pre Bob Rock, Lightning and Puppets were the peak there. Specials, Die Toten Hosen (may have been seen by some on the Vans Warped tour in 98), Most mid 60's Verve Jazz (Oscar Peterson etc) Ella and Louis, Sinead OConnor, Diana Krall, Jennifer Warnes (famous blue raincoat), Leonard Cohen, Buena Vista Social Club, REM, Triple J Live at the Wireless Volume 1, Propellorheads Decksanddrumsandrockandroll, any of the Platipus techno compilations, Stereophile Rhapsody in Blue, Zbignew Preisner's soundtrack for 3 colours Blue (not the best recording, lots of echo but music to die for), The Cars, Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, Soweto String Quartet, Art of Noise, Falling Joys, Def FX, The Clouds, Armoured Angel (on occasion and in small doses).

My absolute Desert Island Disc came free on the front cover of hifi news and record review years ago and was called "All Time Greats". They raided the stax/volt/ace archive and copied from the mastertapes.

There's a big wide wonderful world of music out there folks. We're not going to make you wipe the plate clean but at least try to taste everything

Drew

As student and young aged (19) member of this site, I listen to pop / rock / hardrock from the '60s till now. I don't like heavy metal and rapping stuff at all. I also listen to new techno and dance beats (very popular here in Belgium). In my spare time I'm busy with our discobar, I play every music for everyone as DJ, I'm present also the technical support of this discobar, so it's hard to make some time for doing something else.
My favorites are:

AC / DC
CCR
BLACK SABBATH
GOLDEN EARRING
THE BEATLES
THE STONES
STATUS QUO
THE DOORS
NIRVANA
ELO
QUEEN
MEATLOAF
10 CC
BRIAN ADAMS
ERIC CLAPTON
DEEP PURPLE
DIRE STRAITS
REM
and many more.....

Does someone know another good band playing something like AC/DC (I love it !!!!) does ????

Best regards,

Hugobross.

A lot of electronica, most cheesy pop (when I just want nothing serious or deep and meaningful).

Since I never left the late 80's / early 90's a lot of club dance of the era, acid house music (again light) - but fun at parties (although I never have them no more :)

Anything with strong guitar or sax - in fact - when I get sick of the cheesy pop - anyone who is ugly with talent, rather than the "musicians" of today.

Traditional metal or 70's heavy - again those who can actually play their instruments.

Lately - Front Line Assembly, Coil, Prodigy, Aphex Twin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.