What Do Roundovers Do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many believe though it's possible to EQ what's non minimum phase with a FIR filter, since a FIR filter is not married to phase.

However, because it's essentially a comb filter, you can't correct it at one location without making another one worse, regardless of phase. I'm not sure how well I identify comb filtering (I'm not generally a line array fan, but who knows if it's the combing or what), but certainly am sensitive to box edge termination.

It's funny because the spatial illusion possible from a low diffraction system can actually sound disinteresting if you're trying to listen to the speakers (and not the source material. Clean can be boring if you're trying to note personality from a speaker, hence the boom sizzle voicing of many designs.

One note about boom sizzle voicing- it's not always a bad thing, particularly for small speakers that won't be used at reference levels. A flat system at low SPL definitely needs some EQ to sound live.

It's funny because the spatial illusion possible from a low diffraction system can actually sound disinteresting if you're trying to listen to the speakers (and not the source material. Clean can be boring if you're trying to note personality from a speaker, hence the boom sizzle voicing of many designs.

I sold my original Summas and the guy picked them up the other day. His response was exactly the fact that at first they sound boring - nothing stands out, but then he noted that nothing was missing either. After several days of getting used to "clean" he has concluded that is the only way to go. All the sizzle and boom of common speakers just becomes annoying.

I sold my original Summas and the guy picked them up the other day. His response was exactly the fact that at first they sound boring - nothing stands out, but then he noted that nothing was missing either. After several days of getting used to "clean" he has concluded that is the only way to go. All the sizzle and boom of common speakers just becomes annoying.

Agreed- the music/source material should be the exciting part. I love The Talking Heads but if everything sounded like "Psycho Killer", it'd get old pretty quick (even within their catalogue... "Heaven" is a standout minimalist departure from their signature energetic/percussive character).

It seems I shall need to spend some time tonight running some music at proper playback levels since, as a hypocrite, I don't have a "loudness" contour proper readily configured in my rig at present.

I like the way some JBLs slam (not all, far from to be all goods here) in the mid-bass : it has not to be boomy of course, but you should have "impact" fast and light : it's how it should be : most of speakers designers miss the goal here ! Some have enough boomy room sound, but less has a dynamic upper bass behavior ! Maybe it's also a choice of F3 ! For instance a Kef 104/2 with a 50 Hz F3 and a BIG AMP (because the starving filter) makes miracles here ! (in a not too big room)

I assume because of the physic laws (hard to have a horn or large box for most brands)... I believe Altec A5/A7 succeeded here ! YMMV.

Last edited:
Some anecdotal evidence...

I applied a roundover to the edges of my little Fostex monitors the other day. This is a 4.5" driver, phase-plugged, covering the full range. There's some EQ required :)
I found that, post-roundover, the speakers disappear a little better. As in, its not so obvious where the speakers are when music is playing. Putting a cushion between them and nearby reflective objects took things to another level - choir recordings were more convincing.

I'm not convinced this is the best imaging I've heard, but it ain't bad.

Chris

I like the way some JBLs slam (not all, far from to be all goods here) in the mid-bass : it has not to be boomy of course, but you should have "impact" fast and light : it's how it should be : most of speakers designers miss the goal here ! Some have enough boomy room sound, but less has a dynamic upper bass behavior ! Maybe it's also a choice of F3 ! For instance a Kef 104/2 with a 50 Hz F3 and a BIG AMP (because the starving filter) makes miracles here ! (in a not too big room)

I assume because of the physic laws (hard to have a horn or large box for most brands)... I believe Altec A5/A7 succeeded here ! YMMV.

Roundovers can't help you there :)

Putting a cushion between them and nearby reflective objects took things to another level - choir recordings were more convincing.
Chris

Diffusion vs absorption between 2 speakers' back wall is actually something that many people still continue to study. Many do diffusion, though.

I have huge diffusion panels behind the speakers, but I recently put smaller size absorption foams near speakers' side wall like you did (center is still diffused), it seems like over all sound quality have improved. I believe soffit is the ultimate solution, so I'll do that this summer.

Putting a cushion between them and nearby reflective objects took things to another level - choir recordings were more convincing.
Chris

Diffusion vs absorption between 2 speakers' back wall is actually something that many people still continue to study. Many do diffusion, though.

I have huge diffusion panels behind the speakers, but I recently put smaller size absorption foams near speakers' side wall like you did (center is still diffused), it seems like over all sound quality have improved. I believe soffit is the ultimate solution, so I'll do that this summer.

Revel Ultima Studio vs JBL M2 ?

I don't understand : does the shape is important below frequencies which are 4 Pi radian (so what about the importance of the speaker shape vs the close walls ?)

If we talk more about towards 2 Pi radian and before tweeter (> 1K Hz to <2 k Hz) : is it still important ? What about the round back shape trade off in relation to the front bafle step ?

Why synergy design should work (and Onken, and Vott, and...) so good without round shapes ?

Just naives questions...sorry, but what are we talking about really ? The room ? The distance from side and front walls with the speakers ? Internal difractions because the round shape ?

La Sphère - Stéréo Haute Fidélité - Cabasse loudspeakers : what is the most important : co incident radiation speaker or round shape ?!

No, I was referring to the Revel Studio2 and the Revel F206

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bqlat5DCYAAaaUI.jpg

At CES, they had both set up in the same room, and it was an excellent example of diffraction reduction. Because one design has it, and one doesn't. Admittedly, the drivers are different, but IMHO, the cabinet plays a huge role here.

John

I might not agree with "huge role", it's certainly a factor, but I think that getting the overall frequency and power response right is the most important. But when you have done that, then cabinet/room diffraction is the next most important. Most speakers don't get the first right so the second is not a very big issue for them!

At CES, they had both set up in the same room, and it was an excellent example of diffraction reduction. Because one design has it, and one doesn't. Admittedly, the drivers are different, but IMHO, the cabinet plays a huge role here.
They were not even set set up in the the same location. I was there too and listened to both. Revel Studio2 was placed on the short wall with great distance from listening position to the rear wall and symmetrical to side walls. While F206 was placed on the long wall, much closer to one side wall and with close proximity from sweetspot to back wall. With the placement of F206 there would be a lot more early arriving reflections and no symmetry.

I find it simply amazing that you conclude the difference you are hearing between two completely different speakers and with very different placement in the room to edge diffraction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.