What causes listening "fatigue"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I correct my own BS above. I do not know why this man does the cable thing. I hate that he does! But here is the thing. He does just about everything in the world but say "If your electronics fall within these parameters, they will sound just as good as mine" Now that my friends is commendable.

Mr Sanders: I see you have a bias toward planar speakers, nothing wrong with that. Hearing Quads is what got myself and millions of others here, that is great, that is fine. Your amps seem to me to be impeccable so why in the hell don't you preface that cable sales section with the truth and obvious disclaimer? Kudos to you for all but screaming: "If your amps do not clip, if they make the a to ab crossover point right, if they have that very low distortion less than 1% (I believe it may be somewhat lower for some) they *will* sound as good as the ones that I produce" What the hell, you can't ask for more truth than that can you? but 5k seems ridiculous.

Last edited:
So below after my comments, is what Mr. Sanders quoted in an interview. This is above and beyond reproach. Thank you Fas42 for pointing me toward his site. Beware asschole liars and crooks of the audio industry this guy ain't playing your bullschiit game and even better, hig ego is not making him obfuscate reality to sell his stuff. He needs not the BS.. His honesty has led me to some conclusions that are not even near the ones that are beneficial to his company ,other than that I will point to him as a real true, honest guiding light for all: Sanders:

"The truth is available, but the industry in general doesn't want audiophiles to know it. It is essential that confusion abound so that all sorts of false claims can be made to sell audio equipment and nobody will believe measurements or valid listening tests that prove that these claims are bogus. I find it utterly astonishing that audiophiles are so gullible and willing to believe all the voodoo science out there. They should demand proof of claims before dropping tens of thousands of dollars on equipment. This situation is an extremely sad and frustrating commentary on our industry"

Hear hear Mr. Sanders, hear hear.

I found a chink in his armor though. He refers to the xover he uses in his speakers as "the digital crossover" Hmmmm.... I know damn well what crossover he must be using. I also can guess that he doesn't want to get involved with defending some of Uli Behringer's earlier shenanigans. Most of us know that unit sounds superb "if" you are using digital in, but not as great if you are going analog to analog. That must be a sticky wicket. Probably his gear sounds very un-fatiguing even with those added conversions, but I would avoid them. Just mentioning if you do have that unit, get in there on the AES/EBU and at 96k for a number of reasons if you can.

Last edited:
How about a list of engineers who are known to eschew magical things

This is your man: Peter Walker of Quad. (no longer with us, unfortunately)

http://reocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6722/pwint1.txt

TAA: Have you any opinions you'd share on the relative merits of distortion tests, such as harmonic, two-tone IM, transient IM, or slew rate limiting, as clues to amplifier quality?

PW: An amplifier should, within its limits of voltage and rate of change of voltage, (which is slew rate limiting) if you keep within those two it should be very much better than any program material. These are the things that are measured at .01 per cent or .05 per cent. But what is listened to is usually a program with 2 or 3 per cent distortion in the first place. That's the least you can get on records, tapes, and such things. Listening tests are usually not done in this region of .01 percent distortion. I'm quite convinced within that range the amplifier is just as perfect as you like to make it. It's quite possible to put 50 amplifiers in cascade, each one into a load, potted down into the next one, and to listen to the 50th one or to listen to the first one, and the sound will be virtually the same. So I think you can make an amplifier just as good as you like, and no more different than a piece of wire. But where they vary, when these tests are done, are a whole lot of areas. To start with, you can compare one amplifier with a bass cut-off of 20 Hz and another one that goes right down to DC. If you've got a program with a bit of fluffing going on at 5 Hz or so, the speaker cone in one case will be moving, and in the other case it won't be moving, so the sound from the speaker will be different. This isn't really a condemnation of the amplifier, it's that they shouldn't have this 5 Hz stuff there in the first place. So if you compare an amplifier with a straight wire, you've really got to make the straight wire have the same bandwidth as the amplifier, and the same terminating impedance as the amplifier. Once you do all these things, then the amps will be just as good as the straight wire. The peripheral effects are what get people into trouble. You can see why you find these differences in amplifiers. You can always find them. If people test two amplifiers and say, "These sound different," there's no magic in it. Spend two days, maybe a whole week in the lab, and you find out exactly why they're different and you can write the whole thing down in purely practical, physical terms. This is why these two sound different, and the cause is usually peripheral effects. It is not really a case of good or bad amplifiers, it's that the termination impedances are wrong, or something of that sort.

TAA: How do you rate the merits of listening tests to instrument tests?

PW: We designed our valve (tube) amplifier, manufactured it, and put it on the market, and never actually listened to it. In fact, the same applies to the 303 and the 405. People say, "Well that's disgusting, you ought to have listened to it." However, we do a certain amount of listening tests, but they are for specific things. We listen to the differential distortion - does a certain thing matter? You've got to have a listening test to sort out whether it matters. You've got to do tests to sort out whether rumble is likely to overload pickup inputs, or whether very high frequency stuff coming out of the pickup due to record scratch is going to disturb the control unit. But we aren't sitting down listening to Beethoven's Fifth and saying, "That amplifier sounds better, let's change a resistor or two. Oh yes, that's now better still." We never sit down and listen to a music record through an amplifier in the design stage. We listen to funny noises, funny distortions, and see whether these things are going to matter, to get a subjective assessment. But we don't actually listen to program material at all.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
imagine two situations.
1st where low damping amp is used and with boxes gives decent bass. no eq is needed
2nd rockhard amp is used, but sounds a tiny bit flat, to have similar sound, eq is used.

poeticall style question - what is better, and explain shortly with own words why
also want to know from you opinion about clean, pristine sound
The difference is one of damping, which is essentially EQ. The net result will be similar. In each case the desired tonal balance can be the goal.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
and explain shortly with own words why
also want to know from you opinion about clean, pristine sound
Listen to a good recording that fades out at the end (electrically) and slowly with the band playing a constant fullrange sound at their normal level throughout. Listen at normal levels. If there is anything unexpected about the sound that changes through the fade out, there are issues with your speakers.

Listen to a good recording that fades out at the end (electrically) and slowly with the band playing a constant fullrange sound at their normal level throughout. Listen at normal levels. If there is anything unexpected about the sound that changes through the fade out, there are issues with your speakers.

Are we still talking about Fletcher Munson?

By definition (of the Fletcher Munson curves), if the EQ is flat and the volume level is not 'realistic', you will perceive a different tonal balance from that which you would have perceived 'live' at the mic position. An electrical fade-out of a constant tone should cause you to hear a change of timbre, and should not sound natural as such. Whether you count it as "unexpected" depends on whether you listen to electrical fade-outs a lot.

Peter Walker: We designed our valve (tube) amplifier, manufactured it, and put it on the market, and never actually listened to it. In fact, the same applies to the 303 and the 405. People say, "Well that's disgusting, you ought to have listened to it." However, we do a certain amount of listening tests, but they are for specific things. We listen to the differential distortion - does a certain thing matter? You've got to have a listening test to sort out whether it matters. You've got to do tests to sort out whether rumble is likely to overload pickup inputs, or whether very high frequency stuff coming out of the pickup due to record scratch is going to disturb the control unit. But we aren't sitting down listening to Beethoven's Fifth and saying, "That amplifier sounds better, let's change a resistor or two. Oh yes, that's now better still." We never sit down and listen to a music record through an amplifier in the design stage. We listen to funny noises, funny distortions, and see whether these things are going to matter, to get a subjective assessment. But we don't actually listen to program material at all.

I can hear him saying this. At KEF we had dinner with the Quad guys once a month at the London AES meetings. Peter was a great guy and a very good engineer (as was Mike Albinson). He didn't mind speaking his mind even if it was bad marketing!

David

Worth commenting on Peter Walker's statement, I think:

PW: An amplifier should, within its limits of voltage and rate of change of voltage, (which is slew rate limiting) if you keep within those two it should be very much better than any program material. These are the things that are measured at .01 per cent or .05 per cent. But what is listened to is usually a program with 2 or 3 per cent distortion in the first place. That's the least you can get on records, tapes, and such things. Listening tests are usually not done in this region of .01 percent distortion. I'm quite convinced within that range the amplifier is just as perfect as you like to make it. It's quite possible to put 50 amplifiers in cascade, each one into a load, potted down into the next one, and to listen to the 50th one or to listen to the first one, and the sound will be virtually the same. So I think you can make an amplifier just as good as you like, and no more different than a piece of wire. But where they vary, when these tests are done, are a whole lot of areas. To start with, you can compare one amplifier with a bass cut-off of 20 Hz and another one that goes right down to DC. If you've got a program with a bit of fluffing going on at 5 Hz or so, the speaker cone in one case will be moving, and in the other case it won't be moving, so the sound from the speaker will be different. This isn't really a condemnation of the amplifier, it's that they shouldn't have this 5 Hz stuff there in the first place. So if you compare an amplifier with a straight wire, you've really got to make the straight wire have the same bandwidth as the amplifier, and the same terminating impedance as the amplifier. Once you do all these things, then the amps will be just as good as the straight wire. The peripheral effects are what get people into trouble. You can see why you find these differences in amplifiers. You can always find them. If people test two amplifiers and say, "These sound different," there's no magic in it. Spend two days, maybe a whole week in the lab, and you find out exactly why they're different and you can write the whole thing down in purely practical, physical terms. This is why these two sound different, and the cause is usually peripheral effects. It is not really a case of good or bad amplifiers, it's that the termination impedances are wrong, or something of that sort.

The two big problems with transistor amps are slew rate limiting and crossover distortion. BOTH manifest themselves as an inability to supply clean current to a low or difficult impedance. You crossover designers will do yoursleves a favour by making big efforts to keep impedance high and reactance low. Then the amp behaves as advertised. This is why I favour Zobel circuits on tweeters, rather than attenuators after the LC filter.

It is also worthwhile knowing how to calculate the root L/C impedance of a treble filter. 4.7uF and 0.2mH comes out as about 6 ohms, for instance. So with an efficient zobelled 6 ohm tweeter and a 6 ohm input attenuating resistance, everything works out rather nicely. :cool:

You must then line up the phase between the drivers as accurately as you can. Cone breakup from the woofer is much less noticeable if you do this. I favour Lynn Olson's approach:

When working with rigid-cone drivers, there are some hard choices to make: if you lower the crossover frequency to minimize driver coloration, tweeter IM distortion skyrockets, resulting in raspy, distorted high frequencies at mid-to-high listening levels.

If you raise the crossover frequency to improve the sound of the tweeter, the rigid-driver breakup creeps in, resulting in a forward, aggressive sound at moderate listening levels, and complete breakup at high levels. (Unlike paper cones, Kevlar, metal, and carbon fibers do not go into gradual breakup.)

With the drivers we have today, the best all-around compromise is a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-order (12-24dB/Oct.) crossover with an additional NOTCH filter tuned to remove the most significant HF resonance of the midbass driver.

Every midwoofer requires a differnt notch, but the 6" bass is particularly straightforward around 4-5kHz. The last piece of the puzzle with a two way is to ditch the awful soft dome. These really stink in terms of spit and sizzle as Robin Marshall explains:

Because when a dome goes into breakup, it's utterly, totally finished. Uncontrollable. That's it. There's nothing more to be had. When a cone goes into breakup, all that's happening, providing you can control it, is that the radiating area is diminishing. It's much easier to control that. There's a lot of work to do, of course.

You might try a zingy metal dome, but my current weapon of choice is the cone tweeter:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's about it really. :cheers:

Too bad Mr. Walker and crew didn't listen to some music on the 303 and 405 after all the testing. If they had, they might have built a better amp! ;)

Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty. The Quad amps measure very well, and a large number of people think they sound good (if the 303/405/306/606/707/909 resale values are anything to go by).

What is it that makes you say they aren't any good?

I don't think they "aren't any good" but they are not worthy of the Quad speakers. In blind A/B tests both the 303 and the 405 sound rather opaque compared to better (Class-A) amps. The beautiful Quad ESLs deserve a better amp then the 303 or 405.

I was trying to address how to make a speaker amplifier friendly. The Quad ESL was a hideous capacitative load that would give most amps kittens. I'd take it for granted that expensive, power consuming Class A is better than Class A/B and its inherent crossover distortion, so what's your point? :D

We could consider valve amps a separate topic. There are ways to make a speaker valve amp friendly, usually involving larger than usual closed box and impedance correction.

Reference please! :)

No, CopperTop, don't allow us to become hoplessly sidetracked! :D

I happen to have studied Quad amplifier schematics, and there is a lot to like including Class A preamplifier stages, and correctly biased electrolytics on a single power rail, which are better than modern designs with op-amps really, a la John Linsley-Hood, but at heart, even with the current dumper output stage of the 405, they are Class AB output stages, which are much of a muchness IMO.

It's a characteristic sound. The best you can do with them is design your speakers to be easy to drive. This is more fruitful than an argument about the merits of different amplifiers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.