What are you drinking?

I got one of those bottles of 100 proof (50%) Jack Daniels some type of good stuff version, travellers exclusive in a nice looking box, just poured me one and put the bottle in the far back of the cabinet again.

I never in my life thought I would say it, but that bottle of Jack tastes nothing like the other stuff (I have tried, maybe they have something else that's good too, never know) they make, it is actually really good.

Really good 50% stuff, tastes great! But it does not taste like Whisky.
Just like to add a few small drops of water to liberate some flavors, no ice for me. It reminds me of some Maize/Corn pudding I had for dessert one time.

Would you share your recipe, Cal?
Not a recipe as such just basic nog.
4 eggs, no need to separate
12 allspice seeds, crushed and chopped fine
Ground cinnamon
Vanilla
Sugar
Milk

Put all ingredients in the blender, save the milk. Use whatever you want for measures. If you love cinnamon, go wild, same with the vanilla. Use only about 2 tbsp. sugar unless you like it really sweet. Blend at medium for about 30 seconds. Add enough milk so the blender is about 3/4 full - (1 litre?) Blend again on medium for about 20 seconds. Put in fridge for 2 hours, blend on low for about 5-10 seconds, serve.

Make it your own blend by adding other flavours like nutmeg, anise, essence of orange, maple, bacon, anchovies or whatever. I hear that some people actually flavour it with rum. I'll have to try that one day.

I prefer Amontillado to Oleroso, but have a difficult time finding it. I did have several bottles of Pedro Domecq many years ago, but alas it is all gone.
The Swedish Systembolaget (gov't run liquor stores) had a good selection of sherry as well as port and some madeira, but I guess that due to a dwindling public interest in noble drinks, the assortment has diminished.
This is what is offered today (you may have to certify that you are old enough):
Sherry at Systembolaget

I just had a cup of tea for my sandwiches (breakfast).

My all time favourite single malt whisky is Port Ellen. The destillery closed in 1983 along with many others and prices today for remaining stock are stratospheric. The good news is that the destillery is reopening next year. The bad news is that I will probably be dead before a well matured vintage is available.

My all time favourite single malt whisky is Port Ellen. The destillery closed in 1983 along with many others and prices today for remaining stock are stratospheric. The good news is that the destillery is reopening next year. The bad news is that I will probably be dead before a well matured vintage is available.

When stuff gets rare and expensive, the counterfeiters move in.

Not in Sweden, they don't. For the last 100 years the government has had a monopoly on selling liqour. The "Systembolaget", mentioned a few posts back, doesn't buy from counterfeiters.

No entity, however well intentioned, can control the supply chain from a source that no longer exists to the consumer. There are bound to be a few middlemen, some of whom could be dishonest.

Or perhaps your systembolaget buys directly from the closed down distillery?

Yet more eggnog this morning. Just can't get enough.

My name is Cal and I'm a nogaholic.

So thats where all the eggnog goes. You must have some sweet tooth.

Its all about turkey dinner now, the count down is on. I won't have space for a drink afterwards.

We're having a white one this time:

Attachments

• 20171225_101615.jpg
    20171225_101615.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76