What are you drinking?

Discovered some Starbuck's straight black cold-brewed coffee in bottles at the grocery store the other day. "We'll just see about this," I muttered to no one in particular. Paid the $3.50 for an 11-oz. bottle(!) and brought it home.

Trying it out right now and feeling a bit smug, because compared to good old Jim's Iced Cowboy Coffee, this stuff is noticeably weaker, oilier, more acidic, and has very little character of any kind to speak of. Not to mention it costs literally ten times as much as my home brew. Guess I'll stick with Plan A. :)

That sounds good, if a bit pricey.

I wish I had a good grinder at home, I'd try some different whole beans. I have a nice Zassenhaus hand grinder, but doing a pound at a time by hand for cold brew is a non-starter. I tried removing the hand crank and using a slow-speed cordless drill with a nutdriver bit on the retainer nut at the top of the grinder shaft, but even this is pretty slow going.

What I really want is a big, ugly, loud, commercial-grade Bunn coffee mill like the one I'm currently using at the grocery store, woof! But man, them things ain't cheap, even on Ebay...

If you really want a decent yet "cheap" home grinder, look for the CoolBean grinder from Capresso, about as cheap as any decent grinder can get. Of course there are always other options if you want to go up scale but either way grinding your own is the only way to go. By the way grinding right before brewing makes a BIG difference in freshness since ground coffee will stale about 100 times faster than whole bean.

By the way grinding right before brewing makes a BIG difference in freshness since ground coffee will stale about 100 times faster than whole bean.

I do brew within a short time of grinding - I brew the whole pound at once. :)
But currently I'm limited to buying my beans at a place that also has a grinder, such as a grocery store.

I'm lucky that my local grocer has a choice of beans that I enjoy quite a bit, but I'm still interested in switching it up from time to time; for example trying your brand. In fact, that stuff sounds good enough that I might have to order a pound and march it through the Zassenhaus.