What are you drinking?

Chris, for sure we are spoiled rotten. The number of BC VQA wines is simply incredible. When I am in Victoria, I can't help but visit The Churchill • A Pub in Victoria, BC and sample the craft beers.

nezbleu - very cool! One of the local distilleries in my small town SPIRITS - The 101 Brewhouse + Distillery also hand crafts Gin and Vodka.

But I feel for my friends on the Prairies that are not on either coast of Canada, as their options are a bit more limited. Trying to get a microbrew in Saskatoon is no small feat :)

Greetings nezbleu from the other side of Canada!

Could not agree more with your statement. The small town I live in has 3 microbrews, each of which offer a delightful array of tasty beverages. Here is one example: Persephone Brewing Company – Beer Farm Craft Brewery Sunshine Coast BC Not too many years ago, I had to travel to Portland, Oregon to get a decent beer... And now one can also have herbs delivered to your door in Canada, if one desires. What a time to be alive!

I just noticed Persephone is in Gibson's! Do Nick, Jesse, and Relic hang out at the bar? :D

Wheat beer :)

I grew up on the prairies and already full up on wheat ;)

I just noticed Persephone is in Gibson's! Do Nick, Jesse, and Relic hang out at the bar? :D

Absolutely! And when we are all finished at Grammas Pub, we head out on the Persephone! Mind you, it takes a lot of us to get the tugboat down to the water :eek:

Attachments

• Persephone.JPG
    Persephone.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 100
I'm not sure you can say there's a dearth of microbrew on the prairies today. Good luck throwing a tennis ball and not hitting a microbrew in Alberta.

Agreed, spent 10 years in Calgary, 15 years ago and know what you are saying. I am being a bit tongue in cheek about Saskatchewan as there are good microbrews Saskatchewan Craft Brewers Association - SCBA but most are not available at the government liquor store is the issue :(

Just for fun I looked up the total number of craft brewers and also breweries per capita in each Canadian province. I assigned their rank 1-11 in each category. I added the two together for their total score. I did this because one province has 239 breweries but the highest per capita province has only 41.
For example, my home province of BC has the 3rd highest number of breweries and was 4th in per capita so we scored a 7, in a 3 way tie for 2nd overall

1. Nova Scotia - 6
2. British Columbia - 7
2. Ontario - 7
2. Quebec - 7
5. New Brunswick - 8
6. Alberta - 12
6. Prince Edward Island - 12
8. Territories - 15
8. Saskatchewan - 15
10. Newfoundland and Labrador - 17
10. Manitoba - 17

stevia, <snip> Quite something taken straight.
There was a plant known as Sweetleaf that I remember from the occasional garden and I believe this is the same plant? If so yes I was allowed to try it but all those years ago I wouldn't remember anything specific other than the sweetness.

What I do have good memories of are sucking on the periwinkle nectar (the plant of course, not the shellfish) in my childhood and more recently Brugmansia aka Angel's Trumpet nectar. No the nectar is not poisonous, I have ingested much of it and have never have the slightest reaction be it good or bad. What I did learn is to not do the pruning without gloves. I must have scratched my eye with a contaminated finger and later that night my pupil was dilated like no recreational drug is ever going to do. I had no iris. I freaked. The Emergency doctor asked what I had been doing earlier and then sent me home with a smug look, telling me to have a good night's sleep and that I should wear gloves next time. Next morning all was well.

BTW, I don't condone the drinking of Brug nectar at all. I was just saying that I never had a problem. I would be out there after dinner sucking on the nectar that was otherwise spilling onto the ground, all season long. It was my way of having dessert without the guilt.

Anyone who has never spent time around Brugs, you owe it to your self. The are the only plant I have ever met that smelled like dessert from 5 meters away.

Last edited:
Indeed. Scott, as you know I make the sparkling lemonade. I really enjoy it and can't imagine it without removing some of the lemon 'edge'. I, like you, want to reduce my sugar input and I find this very acceptable. I wish you lived closer so you could appreciate what I do with the soda. It really is a winner.

Back to Sweetleaf, I haven't seen it in the local greenhouses for a bit now. I wonder did it fall out of favour? It really was just a filler plant made to keep weeds and things down in gardens areas not so well used IIRC.

Just for fun I looked up the total number of craft brewers and also breweries per capita in each Canadian province. I assigned their rank 1-11 in each category. I added the two together for their total score. I did this because one province has 239 breweries but the highest per capita province has only 41.
For example, my home province of BC has the 3rd highest number of breweries and was 4th in per capita so we scored a 7, in a 3 way tie for 2nd overall.

1. Nova Scotia - 6
2. British Columbia - 7
2. Ontario - 7
2. Quebec - 7
5. New Brunswick - 8
6. Alberta - 12
6. Prince Edward Island - 12
8. Territories - 15
8. Saskatchewan - 15
10. Newfoundland and Labrador - 17
10. Manitoba - 17

We're getting tired of winning!

The crew who work in the restaurant where my kid works all like to go to Good Robot after work, it has a great vibe but I don't love the beer. My local just a few blocks from here and on the way home from work is Charm School, attached to Unfiltered Brewing (URL has some bad words). They make a stout called Flat Black Jesus which is amazing.

I remember back in '87 when I was stationed in Edmonton for 6 weeks how strange it was to see Kokanee beer on the bar tables. We had just got rid of that rule about cross province beering so I was pleased I didn't have to drink the Alberta beer as I just wasn't used to their water. I couldn't drink the likes of Big Rock or anything like it, as it was so different.

For variety and comparison, today I bought dry red wine from hot Sicily. Campetto Nero d'Avola 2017. Wine with a protected geographical indication. The color is similar to cherry juice, very dark and almost not transparent, the taste is rounded, but without frills. It is drunk very lightly, even lighter than cherry juice. The price of wine is only $ 3.33. At this price, the taste of imported wine is pretty good, and I think that this wine is better than wine, for example, from Spain and South Africa, for the same money or even more expensive. But once again I became convinced that modern Russian wines are certainly more interesting, diverse and better, especially if they are autochthonous varieties such as Krasnostop, Golubok, Sibirkovy, Saperavi. They cost a little more, but the taste is much more expressive, like expensive imported wines. Campetto Nero d'Avola | Wine Info

Last edited: