What are some good example of baffle design to improve diffraction

\There was an interesting discussion on Gearslutz about this, with a bloke who 'mastered' a mini mix of old 60's radio classics in a deliberately low fidelity to emulate the way they would sound through a typical 60's car stereo and tape deck, in order to illustrate the mastery of the production techniques of the time to produce more out of less, or rather, to produce what was needed out of what people had. Beatles 1966 - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

Just to be picky, but I don't remember any (and am pretty sure there weren't any) tape decks in cars in 1966! But the idea is still pretty good.

And, I'm not sure if it is relevant, but many if not most of the car radios of the day also used single-ended, asymmetrically clipping, class A power stages (good for maybe a few watts). Perhaps that explains some of the allure of that style amp with audiophiles?

music-psychiatrist-dog-canine-pet-vet-rron1773_low.jpg

I am afraid yours is pure and blind faith...:eek:

What is that mysterious input you always talking about? Maybe the recording?:rolleyes:

In this case the input will only be known when played by a given speaker, and you will only know that the output is truthfull to the input when you can be sure that you are using an ideal speaker system which output is indistinguishable from the input.

In other words, you will never know how this input should sound, because this reasoning is as useless as totally circular...;)

As said, questions of faith...

Don't put words in my mouth mister straw man.

You can use for instance a classical orchestra, as reference against a reproduction chain.

In this case the input will only be known when played by a given speaker, and you will only know that the output is truthfull to the input when you can be sure that you are using an ideal speaker system which output is indistinguishable from the input.
In other words, you will never know how this input should sound, because this reasoning is as useless as totally circular...;)
You could have a couple of mics strapped either side of your head and connect them to a differential amp at the input, the input of what though?

You could have a couple of mics strapped either side of your head and connect them to a differential amp at the input, the input of what though?

Yeah you can check the signal integrity at the output of an amplifier, for instance, but in a case of a speaker, there is no input no output and the signal is something that do not even (acoustically) exist, a pure man made electronic fiction...:eek:

The first problem with a classical orchestra is simply that it does not fit my room, and what i need is not a copy of what i might hear at ROH at a given seat, but simply an enjoyable sounding downscaled reproduction of that event in my modest home sweet home.

The key world in HIFI is enjoyable, fidelity being almost a pedantic word...

Last edited:
GDO said:
The first problem with a classical orchestra is simply that it does not fit my room
You're obviously not thinking far enough forwards in your thinking. If advances in engineering technology can eliminate the distinction between reproduced and actual music, it can also eliminate the constraints of fitting your average orchestra into your average bedroom.

Probably.

You're obviously not thinking far enough forwards in your thinking. If advances in engineering technology can eliminate the distinction between reproduced and actual music, it can also eliminate the constraints of fitting your average orchestra into your average bedroom.

Probably.

Maybe fitting electrodes and sending that signal from a golden ear (also wearing electrodes...) sat a premium place at ROH directly to my brain, someday it might work...:D

As long as loudspeakers and acoustic means will be used (same for headphones...), be it in stereo, mono, multichannel or whatever, music reproduction will depend on more or less sophisticated toys (but hopelessly limited too...) for more or less capricious and wealthy kids...:clown:

Last edited:
What i criticize is the current high DF trend/fashion: The more the merrier.:bfold:

You seem to have somehow inferred that I aim for the highest possible directivity. Not true. Like I said before, sometimes a speaker with high directivity is better, other times lower directivity is more suitable. The ideal directivity depends on room acoustics, listening distance and preference.

Apparently people here have never heard a real person playing a saxophone...

And I know its a bit impractical, but I know a university research group that is doing double blind testing of real musicians against speakers.

Funny you mention it. This is what I did yesterday:

attachment.php

Attachments

• TRPTK Dutch & Dutch Maya Fridman.jpg
    TRPTK Dutch & Dutch Maya Fridman.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 719