Western Electric 1928 - How far have we come in the last 100 years?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to blind testing, they sound the same as contemporary violins built using the same materials, design, and construction techniques.

We did blind testing of the 15As at Munich. I played some Ray Charles.

Materials available today are different. For example, plywood is different...using urethane glues instead of natural resin. Metals can be made purer, which GIP applies to WE designs with good effect, but other metals are uneconomic to reproduce. 10000 pound minimum melts of diaphragm alloy would supply the universe for 1000 years. They don't make iron like they used to in the pre-OSHA days.

Exact WE reproductions may be impossible, especially considering the unknown effects of aging, but availability of new parts allows modern experimenters to pursue the WE Wide Range topology, an approach that offers a lot of promise.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyone have info (or a place to look) about early to mid 1920's W.E. gear? They did a big P.A. for the WSM opening, and I've read they do P.A. for Harding's inauguration in '21. Also maybe a big P.A. for the end of WWI celebrations.

Anyone know about this stuff?

What properties of the iron are different now? What qualities would that give the sound that can't be reproduced by other means? I don't see how the alloy used would be an obstacle to reproducing these designs.

Fascinating pictures. I always like engineering history and how engineers of past solved problems without some of the materials, manufacturing techniques, and design methods available today.

I think all the promise of the design was realized by evolving into mode modern systems.

What would W.E. have been doing for a large P.A. in 1925? Would that predate the 15A and 555 driver?
In addition to the Western Electric 555 receiver (driver) were the :
521-W, 540-AW, 543-W
548-AW, 548-CW, 548-DW
549-W, 551-W

In addition to the 15A horn were the :
1A, 3A, 4A, 6A horns (3 feet or less air column), 10D Loudspeaker, 11A, 12A, 13A Horns (6 to 11 feet air column), 14A horn (monitor, 3 foot air column).

My guess would be the model numbers are in order of design release.

If that is the case, there are lots of options pre-dating the 555/15A combo, rated for 6 watts "speech" .
W.E. also had plenty of multiple receiver options for applications where 6 watts was not enough.

Later drivers, such as the 594A had phase plugs very similar to the ones in use in most current production drivers. By the 700 series drivers, power handling had climbed to 25 watts,within 3-6 dB of most large diaphragm modern drivers.

Art

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now that would be a novel way to judge paintings!

Is this blind enough for you?

Attachments

• pano-head.jpg
    pano-head.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 272
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.