Western Electric 1928 - How far have we come in the last 100 years?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High End munich .. 15a

Hi,

I have been there ... and I was not prepared for this :).

the 15a horn immediatly caught my attention - after listening to some 1950 smaller horn designs in another room ...

Hey .. this thing sounds great ... much better than all those state of the art 4 way horn designs I have heard before.

Warm - voices are unbelievable - the sound stage is wide open.
Pianos sound great as well.
Yes there a few probs with higherfrequencies - but well guess even this could be easily solved.
With the right music - they sound incredible - as they are right now !!

I am really considering building something like this now ...
(was planning to build some new pair of speakers anyway - open baffle + dipol sub... hm .. did never ever think of something like this .. but well maybe there is a chance to get a big horn !!)

any other opinions ?

thomas

I've been there last Friday and Saturday. It was the most impressive system I ever heard. And I heard a lot. I have two Altec drivers based systems, big Tannoys, had Accutons, Morels, Scanspeaks etc. but nothing compares to this. To my ears WE15 based system had magic that GIP, although excellent too, didn't. GIP sounded closer to my big Altecs :)
I expected WE system to sound colored and "dirty" but it was amazingly wonderful. :happy1:

I have on good authority that they are letting some secret gas into the room, which makes people think they are hearing angels or some such thing like that. The whole affair was cooked up by some kimchee eating marketing types in a basement in Seoul months ago. I am told there is no music being played but the gas is emitted from the mouths of the large so-called "speakers".

I must go now, and hide, lest they find me...

_-_-bear

I have on good authority that they are letting some secret gas into the room, which makes people think they are hearing angels or some such thing like that. The whole affair was cooked up by some kimchee eating marketing types in a basement in Seoul months ago. I am told there is no music being played but the gas is emitted from the mouths of the large so-called "speakers".

I wouldn't bet on those kimchee gases :whacko:

some munich pix

Attachments

• munich crowd.jpg
    munich crowd.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 402
  • munich sys.jpg
    munich sys.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 396
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
few more , from Baby DiyA

taken by (our) local publisher of What Hi-Fi

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

his words :

http://www.diyaudio.rs/topic/5297-silbaton-acoustics-za-zen-a/#entry122813

Great horn playing as if they were made ​​yesterday. It was a huge sound that is truly comparable to the real
concert performance, considering both the sound pressure level, and the size of sound stage. Excellent transparency and insight in
the music material, but without any intrusion or an over-analytical.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, thanks for the great photos, ZM!

Yesterday I was over at WSM radio (Nashville) and saw a newspaper article from their opening day in 1925. A sidebar mentioned that Western Electric would be installing loudspeakers at the National (Insurance) building so that the crowds could here the opening. What would W.E. have been doing for a large P.A. in 1925? Would that predate the 15A and 555 driver?

According to blind testing, they sound the same as contemporary violins built using the same materials, design, and construction techniques.

It would be trivial to clone the WE equipment design, materials, and construction methods. Somebody would be doing it if it was worth doing.

Contemporary violins are not made with the same materials, the wood was very different then what grows today.
Little Ice Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Antonio Stradivari, the famous violin maker, produced his instruments during the Little Ice Age. It has been proposed that the colder climate caused the wood used in his violins to be denser than in warmer periods, contributing to the tone of Stradivari's instruments.[32]"

According to blind testing, they sound the same as contemporary violins built using the same materials, design, and construction techniques.

It would be trivial to clone the WE equipment design, materials, and construction methods. Somebody would be doing it if it was worth doing.

GIP is doing it, Western Labo and Line Magnetics also. How about Magico Ultimate?

hero.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.