• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wavebourn Tower-III High-end hybrid amp

I have a pair of Russian 220V soldering irons for such purposes: 100W and 150W. I tried to bring 2 more from Russia, but they were confiscated in Dallas airport, because could be used as weapons be I a terrorist: they have wooden handles and sharp copper tips. :cool:

Tower-IV-Wires-2.gif

Toroids for transistor outputs will be powered through a relay controlled by presence of voltage on LED in cathode of one of 6P15P tubes. Also, there will be a couple of relays that protect speakers from DC. Protection circuitry, servo opamps, and power switch relay will be powered from a separate small power supply.

I am thinking about PCB for DIY community currently. Let's discuss details.
I think I will use Neutrik PC mount XLR inputs, Lundahl, or Jensen, or Altran input transformers (10K:10K), with pads to mount all of them when desired;
Russian military ceramic tube sockets, Russian military non-inductive metal-film resistors, metal-film capacitors, and high precision Vishay or Dale resistors for feedback loops. Some heatsinks will be needed as well: for gyrators of output tubes, for filament DC regulator, for B+ DC regulator. However, it may be a single wide heatsink for everything.
PS PCB will be a separate one, or is it better to put PS parts on the same PCB, except power transformer?
Power transformer and a reactor choke will be chosen from standard Edcor series.
By the way, speaking of Edcor. The last time I ordered them from Edcor, they were better than I expected, performed nice (too nice on lows, so some ringing on highs required extra efforts to buckle them up). Also, I still keep 3 transformers ordered by Cobra2, because he paid enough to ship 2 transformers, but not enough to ship the 3'rd one. Arny, please respond with your decision: to ship you output transformers, or to wait for enough money to ship all 3 of them, including power one.

I am open for an input. Please give me your suggestions.

This PCB will be reused in multiple projects I am going to present, one-by-one. The first one, however, will be an ultimate high end class A room heater.

Wavebourn said:
I have a pair of Russian 220V soldering irons for such purposes: 100W and 150W. I tried to bring 2 more from Russia, but they were confiscated in Dallas airport, because could be used as weapons be I a terrorist: they have wooden handles and sharp copper tips. :cool:

Tower-IV-Wires-2.gif

......and I thought that you made it yourself! :)

What you are doing in this thread is one of the best examples possible of what I think this forum is, or should be, all about. You are to be admired.

brianco said:

......and I thought that you made it yourself! :)

What you are doing in this thread is one of the best examples possible of what I think this forum is, or should be, all about. You are to be admired.

Thank you! :)

Currently, I show how I build prototypes, like breadboards that may be used on real field tests. They are suboptimal for manufacturing, of course, but convenient to test and tweak. After building a prototype I am going to design the same, but for production. However, a lot will look different, depending on test results, and chosen technology of manufacturing.

Wavebourn said:

I mean, how about leakage of capacitors? ;-)

10V, 3Hour, 49,000 uF.

That means... I=49*10^-3*/10*3=6*10^-4A, that means 0.6 mA.

I think they are good capacitors, designed and made for computer power supplies.
My amp should be happy with them.

Sorry, it was an attempt at humor... Those are very good capacitors.
I have purchased a lot of new surplus KMH capacitors at Halted (Kifer and
Lawrence Expy in Sunnyvale) for very good prices. If I use an electrolytic
it's usually a KMH for power supplies or a Sprague Atom for cathode
bypass, etc. in guitar amps

Thanks for the show ;-)

Michael

PS Halted sometimes have Rubycon also

PPS I have found sometimes new KMH need to be formed