Watts = Quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
megajocke said:
PMPO power is calculated by taking the peak power and multiplying it with the ratio between sales people and engineers squared. Or possibly cubed if it is computer-speakers :clown: I have a pair of "160W" computer speakers... the driver is a 2" or something like that...

5th element said:
Nah PMPO = profit margin potential optomizer.
Some nice definitions guys, keep 'em coming :D

Sony RMS power at Link mode

Sorry Guys, a little late to respond to this one but then better late than never.

Even I am peeved off the whole PMPO thing. It comes naturally to "audio" companies to mention it in PMPO so much so that if any company mentions RMS then they are doing a favor and are honest about their products.

Case in point, SONY. I am hunting for my "Audio system" currently. Ok their products are good, cameras and even the commercial audio, but they also seem to have joined the PMPO race. They have 4000W PMPO churned out through two 3-inch drivers with extra cone movement or something. RMS rating is 140+140W RMS at LINK mode. Could someone throw light on this so-called link mode. Anybody using Sony Audio here, just thought someone might other than the odd player, does it qualify as Quality Sound. Cos I plan to get a commercial sound system until I make my own GC.

Cheers mate,
Ajay Lewis.

Re: Sony RMS power at Link mode

wipeout said:
Sorry Guys, a little late to respond to this one but then better late than never.

Even I am peeved off the whole PMPO thing. It comes naturally to "audio" companies to mention it in PMPO so much so that if any company mentions RMS then they are doing a favor and are honest about their products.

Cheers mate,
Ajay Lewis.

if it's home hifi check the power rating on the back (this is how much power it draws from the mains) and divide that by however many channels of amplification it has, that will give you a rough idea of it's power capability.

ie, my yamaha AX 592 2ch amp has a 220w rating on the back and it tested at around 110w a channel.

lol more watts doesn't make sound better quality!

The only thing more watts rms is good for to handle more current than lower wattage speakers,which doesn't matter in a hifi situation,but in a pa situation it does!

Sensitivity doesn't make a better quality sound either,just a louder one!

It's the cone material and surround material and three small parametres[QTS,Vas,X max,EBP,etc] which determines the overall sound characteristics!

Like for example: a lightweight untreated paper cone with a rubber surround will give a natural sound usually.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
navin said:
just when i was hoping to build a parallel push pull sing El84s you suggest that one should not use multiple tubes atleast not more than 2 (PP).:bawling:

Sorry... but no 2 devices are ever quite the same, so when paralleled you get their average. But everything is a tradeoff -- if you need more power maybe a meatier tube (ie EL34)?

That said, i've heard some amps with paralleled output devices, one just wonders how the same amp would sound with half the tubes.

dave

its all how you look at it........

High efficiency is great, but it is usually required when something else is a hog. The example in the first post refers to an 8 watt amp. What is the efficiency of that thing? So high efficiency speakers are required because we want Class A, with little heat, and a small electric bill....... A great man once said "All things are relative", or wait, was it "All things are invarient"???????????

planet10 said:

If that comment is aimed at the comment in my post -- i don't consider that a generalization, but a fact of life.

dave

The "problems" with sound quality are entirely in the ear of the beholder. It might be more difficult or more expensive to build an amp of a given "quality" with higher power output, but that is not quite the same thing.

How does the Aleph-X fit into your model?

planet10 said:
Sorry... but no 2 devices are ever quite the same, so when paralleled you get their average. But everything is a tradeoff -- if you need more power maybe a meatier tube (ie EL34)?
That said, i've heard some amps with paralleled output devices, one just wonders how the same amp would sound with half the tubes.dave

1. I did consider 2 x EL34 instead of 4 x EL84 but i was told that 4x EL84 sounds better.

2. i figured to control biasing using a SS biasing ckt so that all 4 tubes are biased to the same degree

navin said:

1. I did consider 2 x EL34 instead of 4 x EL84 but i was told that 4x EL84 sounds better.

2. i figured to control biasing using a SS biasing ckt so that all 4 tubes are biased to the same degree

I've found that 4 x EL84s have just slightly more detail but 2 x EL34s have better bass response. You must bias individually to do it right in a multi pair PP.

my el84 amp will be used above 300hz or so. my plan is to have a bi amp system running about 300-400hz (near BSC) and use the gain of the amp tom compensate for baffle step. the bass amp will be a SS. See the India Group Amp Project on this forum for details on that. the 2 amps will then feed 2 wide range drivers (jordan 125/53 or Fostex 165/83 or such) via a PLLXO.

so far the only part i have nailed down is the amps (EL84 PPP + Group amp). I still have to nail down the drivers, box size, etc...

the object of this speaker is that is must compete with the life style offerings from B&W, KEF, Dali etc...so the box cant be very large....if there is a box that is :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.