Want to try omni - Am I on the right path, or where do I go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the other hand the sensation of spaciousness isn't linked to a specific room size.
That's right. But like "realism" or "natural", "spacious" is a highly subjective term, which means very different things to different people. For someone it is simply immersion (sound from everywhere), which can be had perfectly even in the bathroom. For another one spaciousness is the decay of an organ sound, literally crawling down the aisles of a big church for seconds - which is almost impossible to reproduce in a small room.

The word "omnipolar" is as arbitrarily used in this discussion. I could easily build dipoles which are more omnipolar in the upper decade of their power response than the Pluto. And listening to "real" omnipolar speakers from a short distance against an highly absorbing front wall will make no practical difference compared to more directive speakers.

It is this uncertainty of terms which makes this discussion rather fruitless, imho.

Pluto boring?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Above: Pluto Clone right; "Spark" version left.

Spark has Peerless 2” full-range 830970 and Peerless 4” HDS 830870. With DSP for crossover and EQ is measures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From 2nd and 3rd harmonic plots it is clear that little woofer really does not want to go so low. For up close and personal it works great. At slightly less than arms length with head in between is like fantastic headphone. As I pull back, fantastic auditory scene. When tweeters are turned to face wall 8’-15’ away the reflected image is stunning.

This is excellent omnidirectional experiment.

Adding in woofers extends range and power handling.

DSP Pluto performance links:

Active v Passive #347

How to achieve coherence #43

How to achieve coherence #48

Tinitus' design has all classic problems of monkey coffins. It's omnidirectional characteristics are unknown.

Pluto type speaker is well defined, simple design that allows ready exploration of omnidirectional paradigm. Adding rear firing tweeter is possibility. I've run Pluto Clone with Spark back to back, with Spark woofer muted. Front wall reflections lock in stereo image.

Regards,

Andrew

Nice logical mod to the Pluto to add a rear FR driver. I guess this rear driver on the Pluto would qualify it as a true omnipole for the entire frequency range, at par with the new LX521.:)

I find the spacing b/w the 2 FR drivers quite large, likely 8". Did you wire them out of phase to simulate dipole radiation to prevent early sidewall reflections or wired in phase like a bipole...in which case how did you mitigate the bipole dip without any real "wide" baffle separating the 2 FR drivers.:confused:

Most importantly, does the addition of this second 2" FR driver to the Pluto, make it sound better ??:eek:

Thanks.

In general I would suggest that people, who want to try omnis check if their room (e.g. placement and listening distance) can cater for them and then let them judge themselves.

I'd say the reverse, my omnis sound basically the same independent of where in the room I put them or where I listen. Assymetric listening positions where I'm closer to one of the speakers isn't a problem either except for the volume difference.

I'd say the reverse, my omnis sound basically the same independent of where in the room I put them or where I listen. Assymetric listening positions where I'm closer to one of the speakers isn't a problem either except for the volume difference.

for my part and from my experience I have to say that OllBoll is 100% right

perhaps the devil is in a detail and sth is wrong with some "omnis" or some rooms are too live (which affects clarity with "omnis") or too asymmetrical in themselves

I say "omnis" because we all know that we are not talking about real omni directional characteristics which in fact are not desirable at all

In case we need definitions, this paper is of limited use. The paper describes primary source emulated by speaker in large spaces, perhaps via anechoic chamber. It describes Auditory Source With, ASW in terms of small source width being perceived as wider due to lateral reflections. The author lumps reflections from 20ms-80ms as early reflections, completely ignoring directional processing that occur in <3ms range.

Aurthor suggest a basic grasp of underlying principles:

The author believes that, generally speaking, the
listener perceives not only one sound image fused temporally and
spatially with the direct sound image based on the precedence
effect, but also the other ones caused by reflections not affected
by the effect. Moreover, both sound images appear regardless of
the delay times of reflections after the direct sound and each sound
image has its own spatial extent.

But goes off and gets confusing language and symbol assignment into play: What is difference of

"ΔLsp" and "ΔLasw", taken from these two lines:

The relative level of the reflection to the direct sound,
ΔLsp was changed in eleven steps from -5dB to -15dB.

The relative sound pressure level of the reflection to the direct sound, ΔLasw
was changed in eleven steps of 1dB from -5dB to -15dB.

So author is he saying more lateral reflections improve source width, and more reflections in general improve envelopment?

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew, that Morimoto is a knowledgeable guy, he was president for the Japanese Acoustical Society and has done acoustical research for 30y at a high level, not really a beginner..

The reason for posting the paper was to help in a definition for "spaciousness" which is clearly made of two components and yes, <80ms for music qualifies as early reflexions, as still in the limit of the precedence effect.. nothing new there.

Reading it one realizes how difficult it is to get true envelopment from small rooms, as 80ms relates to a 25m+ sound path. Wouldn't an active solution on a dead wall work better? :rolleyes:

yes, multichannel, be it 5/7.1 or matrix decoded from stereo. The problem is you can easily end up with a sort of "reverb coating" that sounds the same on every recording, or just plain wrong because you still get early cues and spectral density that signs the room as "small" for the brain. Going from 2 til 4 surrounds didn't bring more for me, and 80ms delay was way too much but it was a very flimsy and cheap setup I admit.
It's definitely a very interesting venue to pursue. Will surely keep me busy for the winter!

what about m&k CS-29 where do they fit in, are they omni

mk-CS-29-PairStanding-11-2003.jpg

Last edited:
I do use the term as defined in psychoacoustic literature.
I don't see a definition for "spaciousness" in psychoacoustics. Toole and others "explain" it as a summation of ASW, LEV and IAAC. All three are surely parts of "spaciousness", but isn't the common understanding of spaciousness much wider?
The reason for posting the paper was to help in a definition for "spaciousness" which is clearly made of two components
lolo, thanks for the Morimoto link. :)
It took me a while to absorb it. But no, I can't follow your "help in a definition for "spaciousness" which is clearly made of two components". To me it is like defining "car" as "four wheels driven by an engine". Makes sense, but is only scratching the surface of the real thing. :(

Rudolf

Hi all.

I've been doing the CD thing with horns/waveguides and would like to try an omni. My current plan is:

A down firing woofer about 10" off the floor in a cyclinder the size of the woofer frame. Likely a 6.5" woofer. Have some PE buyouts that would work good.

Active XO around 300hz

An upfiring 4" just below ear height. I have a pair of CSS EL70s I think would work well because they have throw. Mounted in a cylinder the size of the frame.

Passive XO around 1500hz

Forward firing SB29RDCN non mounted, just free field. Roughly 4" above the Mid.

And I'll run my subs down below 80hz. Thinking along the lines of Pluto, only adding the woofer downfiring.

All just a thought at this point. Need to find some proper cylinders to even do this. This should allow all the cross over points to be below the baffle step diffraction peak. The tweeter pass band will play into diffraction up above 3khz or so. How bad will that be. I'll measure 180d outside to ensure everything is behaving in an omni fashion.

Any suggestions or words of caution would be appreciated.

EDIT to add: my main concern is the mid to tweet cross over. Want to keep it low to maintain omni. But 1500hz into 4pi might be asking a lot, even though I've experienced first hand how capable the SB29 is. I am will to keep the listening level low, in order to satisfy my experimental experience, and then look for a solution to higher power handling later if that's a good way to go.

Best sounding omni I've heard is the B&O with the S.A.W. lens:

If you don't want to build a lens, there were some speakers at the 2012 CES that use a similar arrangement, but without the lens.

I can dig up the URL if you want, don't remember the name offhand. The patent on the latter speakers cites the former, so they're clearly 'inspired' by the B&O

Another easy way to do an omnipolar speaker is to take four of the JBL Control Now speakers and set them up in a 'donut'

I have some threads with measurements and commentary on those speakers also

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.