Want to try omni - Am I on the right path, or where do I go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure, that depends on the speaker room/interface and hence cannot be quantified easily.
In my life sounding room it (the directionality introduced by the Vifa tweeter) makes a more focused phantom image without taking away the "omni character". In a room with a lower RT60 it would make less of a difference and in an anechoic chamber it would not matter at all.
The reason why I mentioned it here is to stop the belief "more omni is better" since it is not necessarily true.

Sure, that depends on the speaker room/interface and hence cannot be quantified easily.
In my life sounding room it (the directionality introduced by the Vifa tweeter) makes a more focused phantom image without taking away the "omni character". In a room with a lower RT60 it would make less of a difference and in an anechoic chamber it would not matter at all.
The reason why I mentioned it here is to stop the belief "more omni is better" since it is not necessarily true.

I'd say "less omni is better". The spacious presentation of omnis is the result of very specific reflections. It doesn't make any sense to me to "flood" the room with acoustic energy that has a detrimental effect on clarity and timbre. It also doesn't make sense to me to not being able to adjust the amount of spaciousness. Different rooms require different settings.

I have a feeling I'm not going to like omni. I don't believ in hearing reflections add to the sound mentality. But I gotta satisfy my curiosity. And it'll be a good conversation piece. :p

You'll probably like the sense of realism reflections can add to reproduction but you probably won't like the lack of clarity. This depends on the recording/genre though.

I don't get why so many are that opposed to reflections, they sound so nice =)

Say if you've been in an anechoic chamber or a similar, sure you hear the sounds with brilliant resolution but it still sounds dead, but in a normal room with reflections it sounds much more natural.

markus, sounds like a good idea for you to stay with Geddes, and leave the omnis alone :D

I like good sound reproduction. That doesn't necessarily mean that I need to "stay with Geddes".

Markus, we are not all like you

But you do freeze in winter when going outside naked? You do feel pain when you fall over one of your drivers laying on the floor? You're looking for differences where there are none.

I'd say "less omni is better". The spacious presentation of omnis is the result of very specific reflections. It doesn't make any sense to me to "flood" the room with acoustic energy that has a detrimental effect on clarity and timbre. It also doesn't make sense to me to not being able to adjust the amount of spaciousness. Different rooms require different settings.

Spacious presentation is not result of very specific reflections. All speakers flood room with acoustic energy. Clarity and timbre suffer from reflections that are close in time, and differing in spectrum.

Regards,

Andrew

I think the main argument in favor of reflections is that we are used to the sound signature of our rooms so, to me.....if I have a highly directional speaker trying to trick me into thinking I am in another place, it sounds unnatural.
as long as spectral content is intact across the FR, then hearing copies of the original signal is not detrimental.
Of course there are tricks like tailoring the reflected high frequencies to have a downward slope. This will add distance to the presentation. This can be done electrically or mechanically.

What do you compare Plutos and dipoles to?
I compare everything "reproduced" to the original . . . which in the case of sound recording could be either what I hear on stage or in the hall.

To put that in some sort of "context" . . . I had an "interesting" experience earlier this year when I attended (as part of the audience) a performance of the Beethoven 9th in a hall somewhat familiar to me. Something sounded "wrong" . . . specifically I could easily "localize" instruments seated in the back of the orchestra. That's not normal there. There was something odd about the choir, too, but I couldn't put a finger on what it was. After the performance I talked to the conductor (who was not pleased), the sound engineer and stage crew about it.

Turns out that in order to get a good "balance" in the hall they had electronically "augmented" the choir (since it was placed well upstage much of its output was lost to the fly loft . . . a persistent problem in this "multi-use" theater). What I had heard was "bleed" from the orchestra into the choir mics . . . particularly noticable on the flutes, and creating a "false image" in the hall.

Someone might comment favorably on the "good imaging" were they to hear it thus "at home" . . . I found it quite unnatural.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.