Want to build high frequency horns, help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Make sure you use baltic birch with no voids. Regular plywood is no good. But you probably already know that.

I'm actually going to use MDF for the trial ones. Once I get the shape/measurements I'm after, I'll make them out of solid hardwood. I'm still not sure what I'll finish the cabinets in, and that'll dictate what hardwood I use for the horn. I'm leaning towards ambrosia maple with a red dye sprayed over it right now, but that can definitely change.

I can figure out the angles and the roundovers in the horn, but what do I use for the throat diameter and depth? Maybe... 1/4" to 3/8" depth and the same diameter as the tweeter?

Is there anywhere I can purchase a mounting adapter to mount the tweeter to the horn I make?

Your link doesn't work. Is this the page?... [URL="http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Horn_Page/Horn_Speakers.html"]Handicraft of wood horn speakers

I feel your pain :). One of these days I'd also love to do a true DSP active, open baffle design, but that gets pricey by the time you purchase (4) 15" woofers :eek: for the bass, the mids and tweeters, 3 different 2 channel amps, and the DSP. And I really don't have the room for that. But I heard the Emerald Physics, and they were amazing!! He CRANKED Megadeth's song Trust and they didn't skip a beat, their bass was some of the best at AXPONA IMO, these hammered.

upload_-1.jpg
upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful they are :) but for mysef I was thinking more along the lines of a reflex, BVR or maybe an Onken, but suitable drivers for Onkens doesn't come cheap... ot that I'm looking for the cheapest ones, more something in the middle price range.. and HiEff... I plan to go lower watt class A, - 20W or thereabouts...

Last edited:
Beautiful they are :) but for mysef I was thinking more along the lines of a reflex, BVR or maybe an Onken, but suitable drivers for Onkens doesn't come cheap... ot that I'm looking for the cheapest ones, more something in the middle price range.. and HiEff... I plan to go lower watt class A, - 20W or thereabouts...

I love speakers so either way, can't wait to see what you decide :D. And thanks for the link!! One of these 2 will be the one I build first. The difference is, one has "fins" and the other doesn't. What do the fins do for dispersion? Seems like they're a lot of work to implement; is it worth it?

A-480 Horn With Fins

A-480 Horn W/out fins

The difference is, one has "fins" and the other doesn't. What do the fins do for dispersion? Seems like they're a lot of work to implement; is it worth it?
"Deep throat" drivers like the JBL 2420, TAD 2001, Altec (forgot the old #) have a (nearly) narrow conical horn built into their throat, it will "beam" above 4-5 kHz without the vanes to direct the HF outward.
Most modern "pancake" drivers like yours will "fill" a 90 degree horn up to 16 kHz without requiring the fins, preferable from a diffraction standpoint.

Make the round to square transition as smooth as possible.

I have a pair of thread on to bolt on adapter plates I could sell/trade you, PM if interested.

Art

Last edited:
"Deep throat" drivers like the JBL 2420, TAD 2001, Altec (forgot the old #) have a (nearly) narrow conical horn built into their throat, it will "beam" above 4-5 kHz without the vanes to direct the HF outward.
Most modern "pancake" drivers will "fill" a 90 degree horn up to 16 kHz without requiring the fins, preferable from a diffraction standpoint.

Make the round to square transition as smooth as possible.
Gotcha, and the D220 doesn't have the deeper throat? And regarding the throat entry for tweeter into the wood horn... make it as shallow as possible and make the transition as smooth as possible; correct?

Anywhere to purchase a threaded plate that'll mount the tweeter to the horn I build?

I guess you missed Art's edit...

And my post on Yuichi's site which has just about all of the information required to build a variety of suitable horns with dimensioned drawings, measurements, etc.

I almost built a set of his horns, but a pair of 2382A landed here and fit the requirements so I used them.
Apologies on both, I did miss them. TONS of amazing info here!! Thankfully I have the day tomorrow to re-read and process it :). Thanks guys!

Besides appearance, another reason to choose one type waveguide/horn over another is its coverage pattern. To a first approximation, the angle it will cover at any frequency (and in a single dimension) is about the angle that the walls form in that dimension at around 1/4 to 1/2 wavelength (around 3-4" for 3kHz) from the throat. Roughly, of course, and there are other effects near the end where you pattern will narrow at low frequencies where the horn ends (so there is often an "anti-waistbanding" flare or large roundover there to compensate). But in general, look at the flare, and if the walls aren't straight but continually expand, expect the highs to beam more than the mids. You might want things narrow at some frequencies to minimize reflections at the sides of the room or might want them wide to cover more places in the room.

If you aren't feeling like sawdust of an evening, Keele's paper is understandable and gives a lot of helpful info -- http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(1975-05%20AES%20Preprint)%20-%20Whats%20So%20Sacred%20Exp%20Horns.pdf

I'm not using the 10", I'm using the 12".

Based on that, it looks very usable out to at least 2k, but I can't know how far until I measure these myself, and get on and off axis measurements.

OK, a 12" is typically ~70 deg/-6/2 kHz Vs ~90 deg/-6/1.44 kHz, so pretty narrow unless you have a long, narrow room. Anyway, looking forward to what the Beta actually measures off axis this high up.

GM

Here are some measurements I took tonight of the 12a-2. Black is on axis, red is 45 deg, and blue is 90 deg. I'm aiming for 1.8k, 3rd order electrical at this point, but that depends on the tweeter. Sorry for the pic, I just snapped a shot of the screen with my phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1448512562170.jpg

Next I'll get some of the Selenium D220ti.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.