Walt Jung brick book about opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Analog Devices are always producing educational materials of the higest caliber. Check out AN106 "A Collection of Amp Applications". I also find lots of good info in Linear Technology application notes, like AN70. Each of these notes is a book unto itself.

op amp guides

Op Amps for Everyone Design Guide
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/slod006b/slod006b.pdf

HANDBOOK OF OPERATIONAL AMPLIFIER APPLICATIONS
Bruce Carter and Thomas R. Brown
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/sboa092a/sboa092a.pdf

High Speed Amplifier Techniques
http://www.linear-tech.com/pdf/an47fa.pdf

An IC Amplifier User’s Guide to Decoupling, Grounding,
and Making Things Go Right for a Change
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Application_Notes/135208865AN-202.pdf

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Application_Notes/28080533AN106.pdf
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Application_Notes/279814845AN108.pdf

Thanks to those above with nice things to say about the "IC Op Amp Cookbook", and more recently, the ADI "Op Amp Applications" book.

Now, having retired from ADI and left with little to do, ;) I'm wondering about the future of the IC Op Amp Cookbook. Is another edition (this would be #4) warranted, or, after 970 pages in the ADI book, is enough simply enough? Sure, there is plenty enough that can be said on *specific topics* about op amps, but I'm not so sure that another *major* effort is really justified.

There are plenty of good op amp books out there, for example Jiri Dostal's tome mentioned above is one of them. Ron Mancini from TI has "Op Amps for Everyone", and Jerry Graeme has about 6 or 8 op amp books out.. shorter ones, but still excellent.

Opinions on this, especially from those folks who have seen *both* the IC Op Amp Cookbook and Op Amp Applications books are welcome. I'm going to be talking to the editors on this matter soon.

Thanks to all,

Walt Jung

PS: a public comment is fine, within this thread. But if you wish to comment privately, you can do so via email. See the "contact" info on my home page (click on the 'www' below this post).

Your latest book has an excellent "tone", easy to read and the information is concentrated. If you had removed the "industrial" stuff and added discrete technology, simple circuits and more advanced and also a good section about power amps, your new Audio cookbook would have been a masterpiece.

Why don't you consider Pass' amps, mosfet amps, CFB amps (Alexander amp), Gainclones, class D amps etc? Describe in detail the pros and cons of these types. Also add many pictures with comparisions between diffrent component values which have effect on performance. Such things are very educational. Why mosfets often oscillates. I/V converters for DAC's etc.

BTW: The book I mentioned earlier had lilac cover. This book is excellent. This book is copied (naughty me) and stashed somewhere so I can't get thet authors name.

BTW2: Can't you be sponsored by AD (or more companies?) so the book can be really thick?

More than yet another op-amp book, bringing back the audio op-amp book might be a good idea. IT's a fabulous resource for people like myself (and those on this forum), and has been out of print for a long time.

I find it unique in that you have distilled a larger world of op-amp applications into those well suited for audio. IE there's a lot of information on active filters etc. It strikes me as a niche that none of the other op-amp application books (that I've seen) dwell on and potentially worth a lot of sales; ok a few sales...

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Sheldon

Your latest book has an excellent "tone", easy to read and the information is concentrated. If you had removed the "industrial" stuff and added discrete technology, simple circuits and more advanced and also a good section about power amps, your new Audio cookbook would have been a masterpiece.

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't understand most of what you say. The ADI book is/was edited as a publication by an IC company. There's limited room in such works for discrete circuits! As for a new version of the IC Op Amp Cookbook, that is what is under consideration. It appears that you want to see more audio stuff, not necessarily IC stuff.

BTW2: Can't you be sponsored by AD (or more companies?) so the book can be really thick?

I thought 970 pages was thick. Do you count differently than I do? Or are you saying a *totally new* book of ~1000 pages or more, on audio? I don't think I'd have the stamina to do such a thing, really.

wj

More than yet another op-amp book, bringing back the audio op-amp book might be a good idea. IT's a fabulous resource for people like myself (and those on this forum), and has been out of print for a long time.

I hear what you are saying here, and it has been said many times by others. Re-publish "Audio IC Op Amp Applications". Until I retired, I've never had the time to even consider this. But now I hope to have a scanned version of it available (real soon now). Even scanning takes loads of time! In the meantime, my web site has links to Abe Books to find used copies. Unfortunately, they are real scarce, and real expensive when found.

One publisher has been after me to simply come out with a "Dover Books" style of reprint, which could be a helpful service. What's a fair price for that sort of thing? Any thoughts here?

Thanks for the comments and compliments!

wj

WaltJ said:
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't understand most of what you say. The ADI book is/was edited as a publication by an IC company. There's limited room in such works for discrete circuits! As for a new version of the IC Op Amp Cookbook, that is what is under consideration. It appears that you want to see more audio stuff, not necessarily IC stuff.
If AD orders a book of course you must mention their products and if the title is "Op amp..." I gather it's about IC technology but what I ment here was that a book about audio must have a small section about discrete circuits in order to be complete. If the title is "IC Op Amp Cookbook" maybe it should be about that but why not change title or content? What about "Audio Cookbook" or "Jung Super Audio Book"?
WaltJ said:
I thought 970 pages was thick. Do you count differently than I do? Or are you saying a *totally new* book of ~1000 pages or more, on audio? I don't think I'd have the stamina to do such a thing, really.
Walt, I ment a book between 500 and 1000 pages and... the book must be hardbound! I hate softbound books.

WaltJ said:

In the meantime, my web site has links to Abe Books to find used copies. Unfortunately, they are real scarce, and real expensive when found.

You bet, I'm not giving mine up. It's one of a few select book on electronics which I consider my core references for what I do with electronics. (some others are horowitz & hill, terman, ghirardi, guillemin, etc.)

One publisher has been after me to simply come out with a "Dover Books" style of reprint, which could be a helpful service. What's a fair price for that sort of thing? Any thoughts here?

Well I got your AD book for free so that's your benchmark to beat. I'd take the new book and a ten dollar bill. :)

Sheldon

The only way to get the AD book by Walter Jung seems as a "sample" from AD. I phoned the 2 distributors in the Netherlands recently and both didn't want to create an account for the company I work for to be able to purschase the book. I then called the AD office in the netherlands , told the whole story and the next day I got an email that the book was on it's way. After I received I called AD again to say thank you and ask them for the invoice, and they told me there would be no invoice, big thanks AD ! And big thanks to Walter Jung as well !

As long as I can order it from somewhere, I'm more than willing to pay for it. 20 - 30$ would be ok for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.