WAF strikes again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tom, Tom, Tom... your fullrange in blh has many more compromises than you can ever imagine
do you think its time aligned between front and rare signal? how did you do that? is rare mouth opening as big as it needs to be? or is it just patheticaly small; are you sure you do not have parallel walls inside your blh to resonate? how did you eliminate them, is it one smooth trumpet like surface? are you sure you are not messing up midrange trying to squeeze some excursion of you fullrange? i bet i can get ten times better midrange clarity out of the same fullrange, if I use it in small enclosure from 120 Hz up with dedicated subwoofer, not to mention bass extension

I just prefer to use things for what they were designed for, fullrange with Fs 50 - 100 Hz with xmax 1 mm clasifies to me as extended range midrange with extension to hights

no, I have not heard your design with 206, 208 or Super8, but
as long as you are happy with bass from your blh, I have no problem with it

I have three audio systems (no movie theatre), one uses four 15" woofers, other two 15" woofers, third two 18"ers
whenever I hear someones system with one fullrange, it does not satisfies in bass, often neither in hights, only acceptable is midrange
I am suggesting to use fullrange only for what is capable off, nothing more

did you noticed how often a line of speakers from one manufacturer, from small bookshelf to big floorstanders, quite often uses the same tweeters and midranges, but the execution of lower most octave determines the level of performance...you get the point

adason said:
Tom, Tom, Tom... your fullrange in blh has many more compromises than you can ever imagine
do you think its time aligned between front and rare signal? how did you do that? is rare mouth opening as big as it needs to be? or is it just patheticaly small; are you sure you do not have parallel walls inside your blh to resonate? how did you eliminate them, is it one smooth trumpet like surface? are you sure you are not messing up midrange trying to squeeze some excursion of you fullrange? i bet i can get ten times better midrange clarity out of the same fullrange, if I use it in small enclosure from 120 Hz up with dedicated subwoofer, not to mention bass extension

I just prefer to use things for what they were designed for, fullrange with Fs 50 - 100 Hz with xmax 1 mm clasifies to me as extended range midrange with extension to hights

no, I have not heard your design with 206, 208 or Super8, but
as long as you are happy with bass from your blh, I have no problem with it

I have three audio systems (no movie theatre), one uses four 15" woofers, other two 15" woofers, third two 18"ers
whenever I hear someones system with one fullrange, it does not satisfies in bass, often neither in hights, only acceptable is midrange
I am suggesting to use fullrange only for what is capable off, nothing more

did you noticed how often a line of speakers from one manufacturer, from small bookshelf to big floorstanders, quite often uses the same tweeters and midranges, but the execution of lower most octave determines the level of performance...you get the point

Hehe, I guess you read that before I decided not to take part in it. Ah well.

Tom

Why so negative? I am not sure some of the things you list are even real. Just for comparison, what compromises are you making in your systems? I think a single full range driver can do a decent job in the right enclosure, yes there will be some compromises but there are always compromises no matter what approach is used.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am not negative, I was just in the heat of debate...
Hey, I like fullrange drivers, don't take me wrong, I have many of them. At one point I had three pairs of Lowthers, many Magnavox, Lafayette, Pioneer, Onkyo, Radio Shack fullrange drivers, all those whizzer cone wonders. My main system is Lowther based! for goodness sake.
Each audio system has compromises. My systems for sure has many. I tried to live with just a fullrange, but after some time got restless. Needed more lower extension. As I said before, it all comes to personal taste. I ended up with fullranges as satelites with subwoofer.
Btw, I have recently finished line array speakers. I know, it has nothing to do with fullrange drivers, but they sure sound wonderfull.

Hey Tom,
if you want I can ask moderator to remove my comments, since your posts were removed.
ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.