W4-1320 TL or Horn or Ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good question that I don't have a mathematically good answer for, i.e. based on T/S and acoustic pressure wave theory. I have my own 'thumb rule', but I'm thinking MJK's TL alignments has the data needed, just haven't gotten around to deriving MLTL alignments from them; so for now, I'm thinking ~27.1 L should be large enough for adequate tuning flexibility in a MLTL.

GM

Hi

I have enclosed the simulation of TABAQ with the TB 4" driver. I real life you have better bass performance than the graph indicates.

I alway try to get a gentle roll off, as i do hate "boom bass" which can be caused by room gain.

The TABAQ was designed for the 3" driver, but the 4" could be used as well. I did not want to make a larger cabinet, and of course the volume is too small for 4" driver - but it is a good compromise: Small footprint with a great sound.

TABAQ with the 3" has a cross section of 4 times Sd of the driver - which is a large volume. I have found (by using MJK´s models) that 3 to 4 times Sd is a good rule of thumb.

However, you can not just make a "fat" TABAQ for the 4" driver, as volume has influence of the tuning frequency. The design layout of TABAQ can be used, this is a very good design: A straight pipe, opening is the last part of the line and has a cross section = 0.5 of the Sd. Driver one third down. No stuffing in the last third of the line.

To make an updtaed TABAQ version for the 4" driver, with more volume, some time has to be spent with Martn J. Kings´s very usefull models.

Greeting from
Wonderful Copenhagen

Attachments

• TABAQ 4 SPL.jpg
    TABAQ 4 SPL.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 503
Thank you for you answers.

To wrap things up:
A bass reflex would be the smaller sized option with 6-8 liters @ 53-60Hz, but lower output than a TL.
A TL would be 10-27 liters for 60-53hz; the 10 liter TABAQ has good reputation and is simple to build, but is not the optimum design for this driver; for the optimum you will have to go for at least 18 liters (hornresp data) for 53hz tuning, and ideally ~27liters, but you have to design it.

Has there been any progress on alterations to the TABAQ dimensions for 4" drivers? I have all the parts on the way to build such a beast, and I am not restricted on floor space.

Would it be a matter of increasing the depth of the cabinet (maintaining the front baffle width) and resizing the slot for the same frequency?

This is a great design, I will certainly pass it along to several of my cousins in Norway who are into hifi.

There is a lengthy thread on the folded Tabaq. The 4" TB drivers reportedly work well in that box.

Has there been any progress on alterations to the TABAQ dimensions for 4" drivers? I have all the parts on the way to build such a beast, and I am not restricted on floor space.

Would it be a matter of increasing the depth of the cabinet (maintaining the front baffle width) and resizing the slot for the same frequency?

This is a great design, I will certainly pass it along to several of my cousins in Norway who are into hifi.

Your question was about the 4" TB drivers. My point was that they have been successfully used in the folded Tabaq and vetted by Bjorn. I believe the same situation exists for the original Tabaq, i.e. stick the 4" in as is.

I wasn't aware that there was any significant difference between the original TABAQ and the folded TABAQ, other than exterior dimensions and where the port exits...

I have two W4 1320SJ for my next TABAQ project with a better finish. It is very similar to W4 1320SIF in terms of T/S.

The enclosure is the original one, but with less stuffing: 63 gram to be precise. I know some people prefer the original 100 gram with 4 inch drivers - so please test and use the stuffing density that fits your taste.

Please note the driver can be mounted higher up, 20,3 cm from closed end internally. This general for TABAQ. It brings the driver closer to ear level, and there is also a (very) small benefit of the ripples seen in the unstuffed enclosure. It looks nicer too :)

I will probably not use BSC, as I do not use BSC in my present TABAQ with W4 1320 SA.

Hi
Bjørn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.