• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

GB info !

Hi guys :wave:

I am sorry I didn't mean to get confirmations from the ones already paid. :no:

I know who payed and the goods will be delivered soon. :up:

Please all GB members who already payed do not confirm, I have your confirmations already. :cool:

I need payment confirmation from the ones that ordered VSSA, got Proforma Invoice and not payed yet. ;)

Otherwise I have a lot of e-mails of interest from new members who will jump instead. :yes:

Regards Andrej :cheers:

Getting excited now LC! Been listening to my PeeCeeBee version of the VSSA for some time now and it makes all my other amps sound like they were designed and built by chimpanzees; I'm just itching to get my hands on the 'Official' Lazy Cat version of the VSSA. Hope shipments begin soon.

Hi jkuetemann

Please do me a favour and tell us which other amps designed and built by chimpanzees are present there. :D:D:D

I have build one channel of VSSA 1.4 using thru-hole parts.

I could not buy Nichicon FG 2200uF EL-cap for reasonable price so I bought the following:
Rubycon 6.3ZL2200MLST10X23 online from RS for next day delivery.

I did some prep work on the Rubycon ZL before I used it and it does sound better than the brand-new Panasonic FR.

I suggest that we should order parts & do some prep works whilst waiting the kits from LC.

- sng001

Completely true. The best sounding results came out from Nichicon Fine Gold 1000 uF/50 V, Nichicon Fine Gold 2200 uF/6,3 V and 10 uF/63 V MKT Vishay-Roederstein, tested. :sing:

But don not be surprised all these capacitors need 50 hour of working in VSSA to come to normal conditions.

In the first hour the sound is like VSSA is broken and the channels will differ from each other until all are settled down after 50 hours, tested too. :cool:

Hi jkuetemann

Please do me a favour and tell us which other amps designed and built by chimpanzees are present there. :D:D:D

Please be gentle, I don't own any high-end audiophile stuff, it is simply beyond my means. Ones I own to directly compare:

Bryston 3B
Bryston 4B
Denon POA-2800
Yamaha AX-590 (I don't use this one anymore at all, it sounds wretched; but then it was the very first one I bought for myself and seemed fine when I was too young to know better)
Yamaha PD-2500

I know these aren't really high end units but they all have different character. The Brystons sound boomy (muddied?) to me, but the rest of the range seems decent. The big Yamaha is decent sounding but somewhat noisy, both electrically and mechanically (forced air cooling). The power amp section of the AX-590 sounds thin (I blame the DC servo and smallish caps in the signal path) and the treble is searing, very fatiguing to listen to. The Denon sounds nicest of my commercial products, punchy and tight with smooth top end.

Having said that about what I can compare the VSSA to, I almost immediately hook the VSSA back up after switching to any one of the others. I'm going to have a hard time taking it down long enough to build a chassis for it!

Completely true. The best sounding results came out from Nichicon Fine Gold 1000 uF/50 V, Nichicon Fine Gold 2200 uF/6,3 V and 10 uF/63 V MKT Vishay-Roederstein, tested. :sing:
The datasheet for the FG series really does not seem to say much (to me, anyway). Any idea what makes these special... well, besides the gold-ish color on the outside... :D

Reason why I ask is mainly because it seemed to me that one would want to select at least one cap, the one that will supply most of the current for the output, to be the lowest ESR/highest ripple current possible... :confused: