Amplifier Section
• Stereo Power Rating:
100W x 2 (8 ohms, 20Hz
- 20kHz, THD 0.09%)
• Power Requirements:
AC120V, 60Hz
• Power Consumption (in
Operation): 190W

did Geddes suggestion at least have power in higher than power out?

at 7.1 you expect stereo use would have good reserve even with pwr spec games

Originally Posted by gedlee
You can believe it or not, but its true. I tested about five amps that I had and the Pioneer was the best.

People always take my statements out of context. Once one has good electronics - and clearly price and "personal perception" don't correlate with good - then the only thing that matters is the speaker and the room (source material being a given). I have never said that any piece of junk electronics is fine. Only that very inexpensive and readily available electronics place the electronics into the "insiginificant errors" category.

I know that this is not a popular position and it's not one that I have always held, but I have studied this problem intensely and this is my conclusion. It is, by the way, the same one as held by Flyod Toole and Lauri Fincham and a whole host of other well know audio researchers. It's amp designers and marketers who seem to hold contrary beliefs
No hardly - I don't "favor it", but I was severly chastized for using it at RMAF when, in fact, no one really knew if it was any good or not. It works just fine as my measurements show. I would not use this amp for many applications, but it suited my point at the time, which was that loudspeakers account for 99% (well you could argue 98%, but you get my point) of the audio systems sound quality.

The amp is a Pioneer DSX-V912 - a receiver. The point is that it was on sale at Costco for $150.00. I bought several of them for home theater use. I used my test to measure the amps and they were quite good actually. Especially for chip amps. I was measuring a lot of chip amps (a survey of capability) and most were pretty bad. As a chip amp this unit deffinately stands out. It compared quite favorably to a very well engineered discrete amp that I also use.

I also tested several other receivers and they were almost universally bad.

Crossover distortion is a particularly insideous form of nonlinearity because it happens at all signal levels and there is no comparable mechanism in a loudspeaker to mask it. The question was asked if I have a way of identifying crossover distortion in an amplifier.

Yes, I do.

You see the situation with crossover distortion is that the % distortion increases with falling signal level. This is exactly why it is so audible since this is directly opposite to our hearing.

One could therefor ***** crossover distortion by looking at THD as the signal level goes lower, which is a typical measurement. The problem is that virtually all of these THD versus level measurements are THD + noise. When this is the case, the rise in THD at lower signal levels is actually the noise and NOT the distortion, but it is impossible to tell which is which. SO this test actually masks the real problem. One would have to track the individual harmonics of the waveform, but then the noise floor is still an issue.

Hence the measurement problem is one of noise floor and how to measure distortion products down below this floor.

This is done by averaging. But normal averaging can only lower the noise floor so much - down to the noise power. But if I have a signal and I average this signal sychronously then I can raise the net signal to noise level. This too is common. But if the signal does not exactly fit the time base then I need to window it and the resultant spectral leakage makes this sychronous averaging less effective.

I use a signal that exactly fits into the time base of the A/D taking the data. This means that I don't have to use a window and I can sychronously average a signal to noise ratio that is about 20 dB better than a simpler test could achieve. This means for example that the input signal needs to be something like 976 Hz, not 1000 Hz, which doesn't exactly fit the window.

I actually had to generate the input wav file in FORTRAN using quad precision, special random number generators and rounding techniques, because the test signals needed to have a 120 dB dynamic range - very difficult with 16 bits.

I use a signal that starts out low and goes up in level. I plot out the results as the signal drops into the noise floor. This test shows vast differences in amps that measure identical with standard tests.

It also shows that my Pioneer amp - you know the "really crappy" one that I get crticized for using at RMAF - is an extremely good amplifier. As good as the best that I have tested with this technique.

not completely sure about his numerology, maybe Geddes was using a 16 bit DAC

16 bits does seem limiting, creating problems that shouldn't exist in the past decade if you wanted -120 THD, noise, spurs from a 0 dB fs signal to start

and of course 40-60 dB analog attenuation would be a big help - maybe he doesn't like gain switching?

I don't think you need to look that deep below the noise floor but it is one perspective on amp performance #

not completely sure about his numerology, maybe Geddes was using a 16 bit DAC

16 bits does seem limiting, creating problems that shouldn't exist in the past decade if you wanted -120 THD, noise, spurs from a 0 dB fs signal to start

and of course 40-60 dB analog attenuation would be a big help - maybe he doesn't like gain switching?

I don't think you need to look that deep below the noise floor but it is one perspective on amp performance #

I tried to get Earl in here to talk about some of this stuff, but he wasn't interested.

And yes, cognitive dissonance is a fairly large problem, especially for people who have held beliefs (and those beliefs have been lying to their brains on behalf of their ears) for many years, or decades.

Earlier I threw out some numbers- input and output subtracted and no difference greater than 0.01% with any music signal. I believe that is entirely achievable, actually has been for quite a while. Can anybody make a case that there is some artifact, harmonic or other defect within that limit that's audible?
TDA8950 PWM chip. Has low level but very high order distortion spectra, think H100++. Most of all it modulates this sprectrum heavily with signal, complete unstable and *that* is what makes it so very audible. Decaying bass notes sound like Digeridoo, actually. Of course, that chip is definitely to be filed under broken/incompetent, quite in contrast to the (now obsolete) TDA8920.

Prat = wow and/or flutter. Since when do power amps have either?
No, it doesn't (answering for abraxalito) - it refers to the subjective sense of those attributes in the music, not absolutes that can be comparatively easily measured ... it seems that many of the people here have never in their music listening years ever had the experience of putting on a favourite track, which normally had a tremendous sense of urgency and drive about it for them, on a system which managed, somehow, to turn it into a dull, plodding, dreary nothing. If this has never happened to you, then there is no chance that you would ever "get it" ...

Last edited:
Can you explain how any amp,(pick the worst one you can think of) will alter (or mask or whatever ) the timing of the musical signal. This is fantasy.

So you've apparently asked a question and yet in the same paragraph you've already made your mind up as to the answer? If so then it seems its pointless giving you an answer. However if your final sentence you didn't really mean then perhaps there's value in replying. Do please clarify.

... which normally had a tremendous sense of urgency and drive about it for them, on a system which managed, somehow, to turn it into a dull, plodding, dreary nothing.
but it doesn't help if you can't tell us if it was the system's frequency response, grossly bad behavior from pushing so hard rail collapse and protection circuitry cutting in and out "modulated" the track

or it was just your mood

If one can't separate out the effect of one's mood when assessing equipment then I don't think there is much point in trying for "decent sound" - any old rubbish should be good enough, because you can always "adjust" the quality by loading yourself up on enough alcohol ...

Mood can play some part - if you're in a "good" mood then you're very forgiving, relatively tolerant of the system's shortcomings - I've experienced being in a foul frame of mind, for some reason, while the system playback was of a high order, and it still sounded good - having a stroppy attitude didn't pervert the perceived quality ...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

because you can always "adjust" the quality by loading yourself up on enough alcohol ...

Alcohol as an equalizer, now that's an idea.
Does brand and millesime matter too? :p

Seriously though, alcohol and serious listening don't go well together.

Bit late to the party but even though I somewhat understand what TS is driving at to me the terms that are tossed about here mean the following:

Voicing: you, as the designer have the topology of the circuit right, i.o.w the gear is working properly and you measure no obvious faults.
You're not 100% happy with the listening results and then try to extract the maximum out of the existing design by making changes.
Any kind of changes varying different passive components to whatever until you feel satisfied with the sonic result.
The DUT sounds more balanced across the FR range, more transparent so to speak. (At least, that should be the goal unless you're making an "Effect box").

PRaT: could be related to the above somewhat but I feel it more source related. Some TT's that do not run at the correct speed or suffer other anomalies can mess it up as do lots of CD players/DACs.
Naturally, if the musicians can't play a tune there's nothing you can do about it.
Some recordings can mess it up as well but other than that?

Soundstage: Certainly not an illusion in my book and any amp or other piece of gear should not mess it up. Most do. Not easy to achieve unless you have a lot of experience setting up systems and even then you'll notice no two amps render the image the same way. Amp/speaker interaction?
To me this has everything to do with phase.

Timbral accuracy: intertwined with all of the above except PRaT.

Somewhat related: micro dynamics, macro dynamics, intrinsic noise levels and their spectrum spread.

From personal experience the first place to look is the PSU since that's were most manufacturers pinch the pennies.

Ciao, ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.