Visaton B200 dipole experience?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ScottG,

Have you tried tweeters in a Bessel array that you are recommending? I played around with Bessel arrays but found that imaging disappeared. I believe this is the result of having the out of phase driver. I only think it would be worthwhile for use in a center channel to take advantage of the increased sensitivity over a single driver. Also, why a horizontal array instead of vertical since dispersion is the same with a bessel?

I haven't tried the daytons, but I have tried some audax poly films 3/4 in a 5 driver vertical and horizontal array at various freq.s. (and normal arrays for that matter.)

I've never used them below 5kHz (1st order electrical - 2nd order) in a bessel array and perhaps as such I've never had imaging problems. Certainly at 11kHz it won't be a problem. The dispersion isn't exactly the same (though close enough), the real reason for the suggestion is simply that it will sum to about the same width as the B200, (i.e. its easier to intigrate on a baffle). The increase in sensetivity is typically only 1.5-2 db (not much but usable), but the power handling increases and the distrotion levels decrease thus allowing higher spls for a given high pass point.

In truth the design as I presented really isn't a tweeter array, instead its more of an ambiance filler - more akin to the upward rear-firing tweeters in the wilson max while also providing off-axis fill near 2kHz. This doesn't mean that the speaker should be listened to off-axis (or you may well experience imaging problems), just that when listening on-axis the spectral balance will be more uniform.

Scott,
Very interesting. I didn't realise how small those tweeters are. The wide rangers I used to play around with the bessel went up to 10khz, then I had a single super tweeter take over. I used the 7 unit alignment with the tweeter in the center null position. It worked like it's supposed to dispersion wise, but imaging was gone. A very interesting effect though with just a big wall of sound coming from between the speakers and nothing really localized to form an image. I had a much larger sound stage than with just a pair of speakers run in mono. I do want to try it again in the proper application, like maybe for a bar where a big wall of sound would be good.

Thanks jens -

I like the idea of the no box Visaton, but the North American distributor doesn't sell the woofer, or the kit, so that isn't going to work well for me. If I could find a more available 15" speaker to replace the Visaton woofer, it would be a very nice starting point. Thanks again - Pat
I surprised nobody mention the Eminence ALPHA15A for woofer companion to the B200, which is the first choice from OB DIYers.
The Eminence Beta or Delta are few used, the ALPHA standout in this position with its QTS=1,26 and light cone MMS=59g(for a woofer), the price is incredible $65each.
Eminence Alpha-15A 15" Driver 290-407
Good Luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.