Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

This is how my output coil looks like.
15 turns wound on a former from half an old CRT monitor transformer. :cool:
(before any complaint about R25, there is another one under the board...)

Attachments

• IMG_0042-2.jpg
    IMG_0042-2.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:
Farjon,
I've mounted Q4 on top of Q6 (below the board).
I had to use some wiring to reach it, though.
Is it OK?

Yes.

Another possibility is using two TO-126 dummies on top of Q6 and Q7. Then, mount Q4 direct on heatsink, below the respective position and acessing the screw by the Q4 hole on the board.

Rgds.

Attachments

• DSC03964_b.jpg
    DSC03964_b.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 580
Any help appreciated.

Now that takes me back! Final year uni project had the same symptoms. Stable at low signal levels, oscillated at high signal levels.

At the time we (my supervisor and I) believed the cause was non linearity of gain and/or capacitance which was changing the loop gain.

In my case I had mosfets "back to front" to try and mitigate the 12V Vgs "tax". The problem was that the devices I had then were extremely non-linear around device turn on. Particularly the gate to source capacitance.

I'd be looking to see if you're pushing some device into an area of operation where its gain (or Cgs/gd) are changing rapidly.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Having built 3 variants of the Quasi - and they all work with great stability, all I can suggest is to switch to the recommended small signal devices. Use 2N5401 and 2N5501 and KSA1381's as a baseline case (they are plentiful and cheap). IRFP240 works I know. MJL21194 seems like it should work. Are your DC voltages at all the nodes consistent with predicted or measured points by others who have working examples?

Last edited: