• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you have a link to a online shop for buying a supported remote, I would like to know.

Jorge, taking one labeled as "replace", "universal" or "learning" will give you great chance that it will work. They allow to set the code for hundreds of devices which mostly include some RC5 ones (as the above mentioned One for All URC6231 or URC6230 in silver). Or keep your Sony, pray & wait for the potential multi-protocol support Rudi mentioned in #423...;)

Supporting multi-protocol would surely blow up the VCPre flexibility in terms of integration and design options. Some people surely use another remote with their gear already that could stay in place if VCPre could be set to understand the code. Hardly any limits than...often the question is not "which remote" but "why another remote"?

Hi Rudi,
I am about to solder my LDRs, but the two pieces of paper with the resistance values are not marked to say which are the series LDRs. Which pair should I use for the series resistors?

Attachments

• DSCF9099.jpg
    DSCF9099.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 267
Nertia, take the pair that is "better matched" (510, 399) as series LDRs, and solder LDR 510 into the top right position.
LDR's 510 photocell resistance is smaller that the one of LDR 399 at all measured values, and you can easily compensate
the difference by means of the trim-resistor on top.
Do the adjustment as I described it in the Builder's Manual.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Hi Rudi,
I have done as you suggested, but the LDR connected to the trim pot is measuring 0.1 - 0.2k higher resistance than the other channel with the screw on the trim pot adjusted to it's lowest setting. Is this an acceptable match or will there be an audible difference between channels?

Cheers, Mat

After some further testing, it seems that the resistance of the adjustable LDR increases after power on approx .30k in a time period of 5 minutes and a further .20 - .25k after 20 mins.

The other series LDR maintains its resistance consistently from power on. The variance between the two is not stable as a result.

Could this be a bad LDR?

Mat

Hi Nertia
I would normally advise the best matched pair be shunt as we can adjust the series LDRs with the trimmer. However we can fix what you have going on as well. If your LDRs are at 10k and are 250 ohms away from each other this is nothing and you will not notice it at all. If this is 5k still it will not be much but lower than that 250 ohms starts to be a problem. Since you are dialing a trimmer I would assume that these are series LDRs. Most of the time we do not listen to the lowest volume and when LDRs are lower in value they all act much more as a group. The higher the resistance the higher the chance they will start to behave badly and stray from the group. We have known for years that the values of the LDRs vary over time after start up and GeorgeHiFi has resorted to encasing them in ski wax. I dont bother with this as the values are usually nothing that is discernible by ear. Also you will notice that with multimeter leads attached they will move a lot if you leave them connected to the multimeter.
So what can you do? You can just leave it and listen and it will be fine or you can take a very high value resistor (75k-250k depending on how much change we need) and hold this parallel to the LDR's resistor side while measuring and see if this resistor brings you back to about even match between the left and right LDRs. If I want to make them match nearly perfect this is what I do and trust me a 100k resistor will not degrade the sound coming through your 10k LDR. It will still be phenomenal.
Uriah

Thanks Rudi,

I am going away for the weekend but will try re-soldering them next week.

After ~90 mins, at the lowest resistance setting of the trim pot, the LDR seems to stabilize at about 0.50 - 0.55k higher than the fixed series LDR.

Powering off and on again immediately, the adjustable LDR retains it high resistance reading, but leaving it turned off for 2-3 mins returns it to the lower value.

Edit:
Thanks Uriah, that is reassuring I will look into this next week.

Mat

Last edited:
From what point resistance mismatch between ldr's is going to be audible enough with 100k pot ?

Its not got to do with the 100k pot its got to do with the individual LDRs which all act nothing like one another. A setting of 100k on one might produce 22k of LDR resistance while another LDR, unmatched to the 22k LDR, might produce 8k under the same situation. This is why we must match.
So if you have 10k on your LDR and 10k4 on the other this wont be something you will notice.
You can do this..
Add the two LDR values together then divide by 2 to get an average.
LDR A and LDR B
dB=LOG(LDR A/AVG)*20
dB=LOG(LDR B/AVG)*20
Add your results together and this is the dB difference between the two.
Now thats just a dB relative to nothing that matters to you but it helps to match. Now we end up dividing voltage of the signal with these guys and then we apply gain to that divided voltage and then it goes through the speakers which may or may not efficiently transfer that gain into volume so at what point you will notice a difference is system dependent but on my gainclone with 96dB speakers what I have said in the previous post holds true.

I have briefly connected pre to commercial amp. No sound.
Amp and speaker just fine. No pops or clicks heard. Dead silence.
Does mute led has to shine together with one of sources selected?
As well my starting attenuation is -16 but somehow -40 appears when volume increased. Appears and vanishes randomly. Is this normal ?
Help needed :)

Rudi,

I received my PCBs and some select parts you sent last week. Thanks! I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that you had, or were working on a build guide for the passive-pre. Is that available yet? I still need the BOM for many of the parts before I can start construction so hoping that was part of your guide. Can that be downloaded somewhere, or do you have a link?

Thanks,
Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.