• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rudi, when the VcPre is in stand-by (by pressing power off from remote control) the LDR's are still powered on ?

Also i ask your advice about connecting the RCA ground connectors to the VcPre gnd. Would be ok to connect ground from every channel to a common point that goes to the VcPre pcb ?
Any advice in this grounding matter ?
After VcPre i intend to install a DCB1 buffer.
Where should i connect the metal case. Would be enough to connect using a film cap (Ac grounding) ?

Attachments

• 20130715_210837.jpg
    20130715_210837.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
@Hallodeletue: look at the trough-hole pads above the base transistors controlling the relays! It is pricipally possible to connect
a rotary-switch to these pads and do the source-selection manually. The µProcessor's corresponding I/O pins must then not be
configured as output as they are currently. Maybe this is an option for a future firmware release.

@Adrian: the Standby-function does nothing else but switch on / off the leftmost black relay on your PCB (the currently offered PCB
does not have this relay, but has a direct interface to a "Soft-Power-On" - PCB).
So the LDRs will not be powered-off in "Amplifier-Standby-Mode".
Concerning your question about "common GND": I have done it exactly as you have proposed.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    26 KB · Views: 272
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Quite a good idea to switch off the LDRs when in standby ! Should be done in rev. 2.0. I take this is also the state when the muting relay mutes the output ? A small delay in switching the LDRs on would be good when the VCPre is switched back on again. I am not fully aware of the schematic but I think this is a nice enhancement.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, in the meantime I have received the PCBs, and my German DIY-friend Peter has already cut the auxiliary PCB.
The second image shows, how to solder the DIP-to-SIP adapter.

Uriah's matched LDRs arrived in Germany, but are currently delayed by German tax authorities.

I need to wait for my own VCPre-PCB. You remember: I asked a friendly DIYer to solder the SMD-components for me.
As soon as I have it back, I will solder it and do a final hard- and software test.

I am confident that I will able to dispatch your letters in the course of next week.

Attachments

• lcd 013.jpg
    lcd 013.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 154
  • lcd 005.jpg
    lcd 005.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 193
Jean-Paul: this (switching on / off the LDRs - in effect: switching on / off their power supply in case of STANDBY or MUTE)
can be done easily, but must assure that hard- and software work together happily! :D

Have a look at the two attached pictures.
The MIC5205 - Enable pin is connected to the PIC µProcessor's MUTE pin (highlighted by the white track).
Both pins (MIC5205- Enable- and PIC16F886 - MUTE - pin) adhere to standard CMOS operation.
The "Mute-Command" will drive a "0" on the PIC's output pin; the "Un-Mute - command" will drive its output to "1".
And Soft-Power On / Off does of course make use of the MUTE - function (to prevent a "Klack" on the output").

So: congratulation! You have just entered the digital audio world!

P.S.: I will try and implement / verify this feature on the round#2 - PCBs, maybe in August, after some thorough tests!

Attachments

• Silkscreen.PNG
    Silkscreen.PNG
    420.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Image3.png
    Image3.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Adrian, the current VCPre - layout and software does not support the "Mute LDR" feature.

I will check, if this feature can be implemented, once I have assembled my PCB. If possible (for example: does the µProcessor
meet the voltage levels needed to enable / disable the power supply (MIC5205) for the LDRs?) and the needed software-changes are not serious,
I will think about implementing this feature in a future VCPre - version.

Gentlemen: I have told you about my fear soldering the VCPre - SMD-components some time ago and asked a DIY-friend to do it for me.
Since I did not receive a feedback from him until today (maybe I have misspelt his home-address?), I tried and did it myself today.

You have given me several recommendations, how to do it, but left out the two most significant ones:
"Have a big cigar and 1-3 whiskys before you start soldering and clap your hands on your shoulders and tell yourself:
"You will do it!".

This is the result! Beautiful, isn't it?

Attachments

• smd 004.jpg
    smd 004.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 293
Gentlemen: start and solder the low-profile components (SMD, diodes and resistors) first (pictures 1 and 2).
This will take no more than an hour.

Then have a rest!

To solder the diodes and resistors has been a real pleasure to my old eyes (and cannot be compared to the SMD - components,
which have been a real challenge ;))

... to be continued ...

Attachments

• smd 006.jpg
    smd 006.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 256
  • smd 008.jpg
    smd 008.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 240
Gentlemen, I continued the build of my VCPre last night and soldered everything but the relays and LDRs.

I inserted a pre-programmed µProcessor and powered on: everything works as designed.

Take care when you solder the Tantalum capacitor on the output of the MIC5205! This is a polarized capacitor!

I will go on and solder the auxiliary PCBs and connectors / connections this afternoon and will begin with the final software-test then.

Attachments

• SNV31500.jpg
    SNV31500.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.