VBITNGC building & comment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a little at my patience's end....

I can not get the voltage doubler to work properly....
I have a small traffo which is marked 2 x 22V, unloaded it measures closer to 26VAC, connecting the secondaries in series gives me 51VAC... when I connect this to the voltage doubler I get about 300VAC from rail to rail, with only one secondary connected I am getting 77VAC per rail (155V rail to rail)...

What did I miss? why no work? will make tube go boom?

EDIT:
Just had the thought to actualy measure DC... whell it still gives about 70VDC per rail.... is that ok?

I think this is the last thing, apart from refinishng the case, that needs sorting out... I had to make custom PCB's to fit everything in the amp's case (refurbishing) also the buffer is teamed up with a lm3886 in inverted config (courtesy of digi's pcb's - ya sorry I copied it with mah evil coki pen....)

Also is a 25second delay softstart enough? thats more or less what I get from my relay... Modification of the circuit includes 2 pilot lights which shows warmup and active status, by wiring 240V pilot lights to the dpdt relay. Input selector and LED display is done, and I believe the VU meter section should work, as I relaced all opamps and transistors on it... (acctualy I still need to figure out a powersource for it, but we are at 3 transformers allready....

My PSU in a Conrad enclosure with transparant cover (the child in me). tested and good. The amp is ready too, not tsted yet.

Gewa, how is your board doing?

Attachments

• hpim0752.jpg
    hpim0752.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 359
Hi Wim

Looks good so far. I'm curious how the amp testing will progress.
About my board: hmmm....., I binned the project to be honest.
Mainly because of the lack of intrest and secondly because I first want to finish all the rest I've got going on.

Regards

Nordic said:

EDIT:
Just had the thought to actualy measure DC... whell it still gives about 70VDC per rail.... is that ok?

Also is a 25second delay softstart enough? thats more or less what I get from my relay... Modification of the circuit includes 2 pilot lights which shows warmup and active status, by wiring 240V pilot lights to the dpdt relay. Input selector and LED display is done, and I believe the VU meter section should work, as I relaced all opamps and transistors on it... (acctualy I still need to figure out a powersource for it, but we are at 3 transformers allready....

Hi,
provided your caps can take it +/- 70V are fine.

Also 25 sec should be enough to let the tube warm.

I have mine waiting to be encased but I've been delayed by my Aikido preamp (after all I already have a Amp3 and 2 My_Refs, so I wasn't so in a hurry).

Cheers

Andrea

Lol, wel I started on the 13th of Dec, and I'm only finishing now...
Cant wait to have easy source selection again.... :)

Caps are all 100V, I'm sure the rails will drop a bit under load, the 70V is what I get straight from the PSU with nothing connected...

Getting everythng in the case looked so easy at first, but its a nightmare... I'm pretty worried about my ground stars etc...as I was a bit ambitious in adding features, but I will cross that bridge when i get there...

I also think the old version's PSU with the relay on the AC wires to the amp's tranny was more elegant.

Also I would prefer the chips to be side by side, as opposed to on oposite sides of the board... this forces you to get a case of just the correct width, I think the traditional way of using a long heatsink with 2 chips on would be much more adaptable to custom designs.

Oh the frustration!

The 6.3V heater lines only give 3.8V when I actualy have the tube in there... this also causes the relay not to switch the amp part on...

If I pull out the tube the pins measure 6.3V and the relay swithces...

It is powered by a 7.2VAC 1.5VA transformer... only other things on the thransformer is 2 leds, the NE555 and a 5V relay.

Apart from this I should be done.

Need help... close to tears now. :confused:

Nordic said:
Oh the frustration!

The 6.3V heater lines only give 3.8V when I actualy have the tube in there... this also causes the relay not to switch the amp part on...

If I pull out the tube the pins measure 6.3V and the relay swithces...

It is powered by a 7.2VAC 1.5VA transformer... only other things on the thransformer is 2 leds, the NE555 and a 5V relay.

Apart from this I should be done.

Need help... close to tears now. :confused:

Your trafo is way too small. 1.5 VA is close to nothing.... especially if you want to regulate.
You'd better use at least a >10VA trafo (the filament asks for about 300-350mA, plus you have the regulation losses and the relay consumption).

Cheers

Andrea

Expletive....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I see, and I remember the rating on the transformer was something like 0.1A which I though would be enough..

All I have in the meantime is a 6VAC traffo rated for 1amp (6 va?)
and a 2x12VAC traffo rated 1.5VA.. guess we'll have to wait till Monday then before we hear the results, as I'm leaving early on Saturday to go visit my grandma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.