Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,
A general question.
I assume that the subjective sound quality impression of this phono stage (as is probably the case with any other tube based stage) is determined to a large degree by the coupling (and RIIA) capacitors used.
Am I correct here?

RIAA 1% HV caps were not easy to get, Mr. Merlin had organized a mini GB for that back then even. ICEL metalized PP maybe. Maybe I forget exactly what. But not really boutique couplers, mostly ex Soviet FT or hybrid stuff and industrial grade new production PP. Most influential part should be the SUT.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hi Salas,
Thank you.
I didn't ask about specific capacitors, only about the impact on subjective impression of sound quality by choosing different coupling capacitors (C4 and C6 on v1.2, for instance). I assume the SQ impression is dependent, to a large degree, by the capacitors chosen. Is that correct?

If Salas doesn't mind me repeating so, the importance of the quality of the coupling caps is minor compared to the importance of the PS and the SUT.
Which is what Salas says already anyway.

There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, you could use an all tube regulated PS, do away with the SUT and use an active stage there. The variations on the theme seem endless but the keys to the circuit is the u-follower at Vg0.
Nothing novel but unusual nonetheless.

All in all an excellent circuit. One that can be pushed into high-end territory competing with the world's best at relatively minor expense.

I'd say that's a compliment. :)

Cheers, ;)