Valve Itch phono

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I measured the capacitance of the phono cable between the Itch & the #26 and measures 500pF (3 meters long), have I to increase the C of the Zobel step-up Jensen to 200pF?

Attached pic just for fun of increased mass of Linn Ekos tonearm, now Itch + Denon DL103R plays in other league.

Attachments

• WP_20141002_001[1].jpg
    WP_20141002_001[1].jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 254
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The SUT secondary termination (Zobel) is a different matter regarding the output of the full circuit. That Jensen could be fairly well compensated for square waves with 100-150pF in the Zobel too, at least on the oscilloscope tests I have shown before on my samples. You could try those values too for subjective impact.

The Itch output comes from a low impedance point (from the cathode follower part of the Mu circuit) and it can drive some cable capacitance. Its a 6mA 800 Ohm source with the 6SN7 in the V1.2.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When you used the Denon DL103R wich tonearm used & how many effectiver arm mass?

Can I measure Ekos cable capacitance with the cartridge mounted?

No, don't put any active test instrument on cables with the cart connected.

I had used it on SL1200MK2 arm and on silicon stuffed and counterweight reinforced mission arm both about 12g. Resonance was good since its a 13cu cart by US/European static compliance standards. But heavier effective mass arms control its lively cantilever and body resonances better. Sounds more 3D on those.