Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, I mis-read how you were doing the heater supplies. I've been told (by the hardcores in our local audiophile club) that many MM cartridges are very sensitive to loading R and C, and should be fine tuned with a test record, or the results, even with an otherwise great preamp will be random. It appears that this is often overlooked or only approximately adjusted. I suspect that moving coil cartridges are much less sensitive to this, which may be the main reason why people think they sound better (?).

MC has lighter moving mass and extends to HF easier when MM relies on electrical resonance. Its also much less afected by parasitic capacitance due to its much lower Zo.
Some MM can be really good but not that cheap. Ortofon 2M Black for instance. They can have a less accentuated brilliance range than many MC.
I do use test disc full band pink noise tracks and FFT when I am in doubt of Fs and curve.
If you are to attempt it for MM, I advise 100K wirewound Vishay pot for load. It gives quite a curve shaping range. Expect ~200pF native input capacitance in this circuit. Then add your TT cable's Cpar. A silicon diode between the cathode of the lower input tube and ground is advised for minimum input offset when there is no SUT. Cathode stripe side leg to GND.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Like the pic?

Attachments

• Valve Itch only MM.gif
    Valve Itch only MM.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 276
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, but without the SUT since we talk MM. The extra capacitor might not be needed since the trimmer can change the curves enough.

Neskor had already used the diode trick with success when he had some wilder for leakage 6N2PEV samples to make do with for MM, if you remember.

I'm pleased with the sound after this diode tweak.
Previously I had around 0.4 VDC on grid.
After diode tweak I have 0,025 VDC on input grid. I had to search from big bunch of tubes to find ones with the smallest grid current.
With cartridge connected I have 0,001 VDC on input grid.

Wirewound pots from Vishay are very good for cart loading... hope you will let us know your opinion.

Ricardo

please be aware of that, here we have different opinions. You can use this pots to verify the value of the resistor but then use for the measured value the best resistor you can obtain. Good sound reproduction starts at the beginning and what you lose here you will never get back!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Joao

I am well aware of that and my statement is based on deep experimentation.

The best pots I used so far are Vishay 1280G trimming potentiometers Bulk metal foil. These provide the best combination between detail rendition and tone presentation... IMO even better than shinko tantalums that seem too soft in direct comparison.

These WW 534-5,0K - Präzisionspoti. 10 Gänge, 5,0 K-Ohm bei reichelt elektronik are by second choice, with very good detail and attack but lacking the smooth tone of the 1280G.

And the beauty of the pots lie on the way we can continuously finetune cart load :)

Try some and let me know your opinion.

PS: Even JC used tantalum trimmers in his "special" phono builds.

And the beauty of the pots lie on the way we can continuously finetune cart load :)
Try some and let me know your opinion.

Ricardo

no I will use trimmers only for evaluation. I respect it that you like it so use them... but I am sure when you use a better cartridge, with better resolution, then you will maybe follow my opinion.

Even JC used tantalum trimmers in his "special" phono builds.

And now, why should I follow JC? Yes he has good reputation in technical design of phono stage design but this says really nothing about the sonic quality of his amps!

I must not jump into water because others are doing this.... his deswigns are not my cup of tea.

BTW. did you receive my mail?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ricardo

no I will use trimmers only for evaluation. I respect it that you like it so use them... but I am sure when you use a better cartridge, with better resolution, then you will maybe follow my opinion.

And now, why should I follow JC? Yes he has good reputation in technical design of phono stage design but this says really nothing about the sonic quality of his amps!

I must not jump into water because others are doing this.... his deswigns are not my cup of tea.

BTW. did you receive my mail?

Hi Joao, I recently experimented with a Kiseki and a Benz LP and the results where splendid... what would you suggest for fixed resistors ?

I did not say you should follow JC, I heard his vendetta and my builds sounded much better.... But he knows some things.

I did receive your e-mail and answered, anyway, I must call you to discuss the points you wrote about... particularly your preferred choices regarding psu's.... my life is a swirl right now so please be patient...... I plan to visit Zurich soon.... I plan to visit you then.

Joao sorry but no ones here and probabily inthis world can build a phono better the JC ..

In technical side of view and spoken for transistors.... there are plenty much designs out there....

must I be afraid now? Sorry I respect the person JC and his personal work but he is not a Guru for me, I look to him more as colleague - nothing less, nothing more.

Hi Joao, I recently experimented with a Kiseki and a Benz LP and the results where splendid... what would you suggest for fixed resistors ?

I did not say you should follow JC, I heard his vendetta and my builds sounded much better.... But he knows some things.

I did receive your e-mail and answered, anyway, I must call you to discuss the points you wrote about... particularly your preferred choices regarding psu's.... my life is a swirl right now so please be patient...... I plan to visit Zurich soon.... I plan to visit you then.

Hi Ricardo

ok I can see... what about of Koetsu, SPU etc. The Benz and Kiseki are nice carts but, sorry my opinion, un-musical.

What resistors? That depends on the system the phono stage is implemented but in general I prefer Caddock MK132 or Kiwame (little noisier but more musical).

Yes I know that you didn't say I shall follow JC but I only wanted to support you going your own way and not compare to someones design because he is prestigious in the audio world.

I did not get your response mail, can you try to send it again. And yes you can call me that we can discuss some topics you like to know about psu's.

You are welcome here and I will be glad to meet you.

BTW. OT: Forbes is planning an article on turntable and will add my VEGA turntable.