• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve cascodes for Phono input.

Thanks for the references. I tracked down a very handy website which talks about the successor, Daniel-II and their description of how they went about improving it. The end result was still a cascode front end, but a hybrid SS-tube cascode. A schematic is freely available on their website. However, it's also no longer a zero feedback design and I consider the new topology so different from an all-tube zgfb that was the original that it may as well be a completely different beast altogether.

DANIEL II REFERENCE PREAMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:
I haven't found details of the original yet, but here's a nice photo of the main board from an original Daniel

Attachments

• 1858132-curcio-daniel-1-tube-preamp-circuit-board-with-phono-stage.jpg
    1858132-curcio-daniel-1-tube-preamp-circuit-board-with-phono-stage.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 263
ah, I was a bit hasty, it turns out that there is in fact a successor to the Daniel that retains the all-tube spirit of adventure. The reason I missed it was that it's called 'Sarah'.

CURCIO AUDIO: SARAH - VACUUM TUBE PHONO PREAMPLIFIER

I didn't know these guys have such interesting kits available - I'm not affiliated etc. etc. but they look pretty nice.

Attachments

• saraasch.gif
    saraasch.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Thanks for the references. I tracked down a very handy website which talks about the successor, Daniel-II and their description of how they went about improving it. The end result was still a cascode front end, but a hybrid SS-tube cascode. A schematic is freely available on their website. However, it's also no longer a zero feedback design and I consider the new topology so different from an all-tube zgfb that was the original that it may as well be a completely different beast altogether.

DANIEL II REFERENCE PREAMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS

That was my thought as well. Interesting that in the Sarah, they took the same approach we did- paralleling the bottom tubes in the cascode so as to more easily drive the top tube. I found that was a good solution to noise and gain issues. But we did everything differential and so got rid of a bit of noise and improved power supply immunity as a result.

A bit of a side issue is that nearly all cartridges (and arms) are balanced sources anyway so we also use an XLR input.

Cascode is extremely useful in building networks with unusual frequency responses as its output impedance is precisely the load of the upper device.

Here is the example of the MM project I am currently working on, it has been fully prototyped and it set the bar for the quality of a phono preamp for me at a new hight. Using Lipschitz RC correction circuit it produces 0.2dB max deviation in full audio range. Output stage is also a powerful SIT with a choke load.
any update for 2SK79 sit phono preamp.I have found some pair of the 2sk79 and also plan to use it for the riaa